Kingston Holiday Park
US$1,440
Azur(Queenstown)
US$1,021
US$997
Mercure Resort Queenstown(Queenstown)(Great Value!)
US$129
US$162
US$146
Travelocity
  • Pool
Oaks Club Resort(Queenstown)(Great Value!)
US$208
US$157
  • Fitness centre
Swiss-Belsuites Pounamu Queenstown(Queenstown)(Great Value!)
US$160
US$115
US$122
US$115
  • Room Service
All reviewsmilford soundminers cottagebabbling brookcamping groundthe kitchente anaulake wakatipumotel unitsglamping tentsshared bathroomtwo nightsbunk bedsa lovely staystayed one nightsouth islandnew zealandcrib
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 7 May 2013

Kingston is a beautiful place to stay at the end of Lake Wakatipu. Soul restoring and peaceful.
Hectors is lovely. Motel room wonderful. Value for money. Great for the family. Kingston Flyer train experience is awesome. Climb up to the lookout was a fun challenge, but would only do with older children, not littlies.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 April 2013

When I was planning our NZ trip for my family (my parents, my two children, and myself), I couldn't find any affordable place to stay in Queenstown, and decided to try out Hector's after reading positive reviews. I didn't know what to expect, but we were pleasantly surprised! We had a "motel" room that was really, really nice, comfortable, and clean. Inside the room, it felt like we were really in an upper-scale hotel. Outside, the rest of the property had cabins, trailers, hookups, laundry (which we NEEDED), and a playground right next door. Plus, it's just a short walk to the lake, with the most gorgeous sunset I ever saw. The ONLY reason I'm giving them four stars and not five is location (which isn't their fault) -- Kingston itself isn't more than a single street, and there was ONE place to eat, without even a store to buy bread and milk. Anything else you have to drive to Queenstown for. But we enjoyed our two nights, and even drove to Milford Sound and back in a single day without a problem!

Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank MonicaH_SLO
Reviewed 8 March 2013

We decided to depart from Queenstown due to commercializations, traffic and hectics. Though Queenstown worths a visit, if you prefer traffic, noise, shops & shops, etc. It turned out to be a good choice when we stopped in Kingston. Since our goal was motorcycling & tenting, we spent 1 night at Hector's. It is a nice, cozy and friendly camp with a good mix of locals and tourists. Tent sites are in good setting, on grass, with flowers/hedges and a brooks flowing through. Kitchen is small but has everything you need, with good outdoor seatings as well. Hosts were very friendly and is himself a biker.

Room Tip: Amazing drive from Queenstown to Kingston
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank apain_10
Reviewed 13 February 2013

My partner and I stayed at Hector's at the beginning of February on our long journey from Fjordland to Fox Glacier. We had had a tiring day of adventure and driving the day we arrived and were thankful to be able to check in so late. We had the #6 "crib" cottage and found it to be very cute and homey. It reminded me of my grandmother's "camp" here in Pennsylvania, filled with a mix of home items and furnishings.

Getting in so late, we pretty much showered and crashed! What was nice about the sleep is that the windows were all open, and the sound of the babbling creek was so pleasant (again, like my grandmother's "camp"). The bed was comfortable enough and clean, all we needed.

I wish we had the time to spend more time in the area and enjoy the outdoor communal barbecue area, but alas, the itinerary was just too tight! We did not go into Kingston or to any of the restaurants, but it looked like a quaint lakeside town.

The only recommendation I would make would be to have your own towel, as the ones provided were sufficient, but a little rustic. For one night, I found it part of the charm of the cottage, but for a week, I would want something a little softer.

I definitely recommend Hector's as a great value and a pleasant stay!

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Travel Loving L
Reviewed 7 November 2012 via mobile

We had the crib..I'm glad we were all gd friends-sleeping in one room was cosy to say the least. But it was wonderfully done as a 50s crib felt very authentic. Great location across the best view in the s island in my opinion! "lock" on the bathroom needs to be updated I think though.

• Stayed: October 2012