“From the best hotel I stayed in”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Kendwa
Eden Village Kendwa Beach Resort
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Kendwa
Reviewed 12 June 2014

We went ( me,my husband and my little son)we reach and we found the assistant waiting for us,,in the way to the village she explain every single detail, even was very hot, but she was happy to answer our questions,,we reach the hotel,,was nice show to welcome us,,fresh drinks,,sweets.
The location is fantastic,,cristal water,,nice rooms very clean,,there are many entairtainment with the animation team :Beachball, tango, compitation,,and at night there is the theatre and very interresting shows,,the food is like we are in 5stars hotel !! Very very delicious and diffrent plates every day! And is something I appreciate specially for the all inclusive type of vacation,,in conclusion is a dream vacation, and defenitly we are going back ,,and the most thing I liked is the security on the beach,,other hotel don't provide that and for that we saw many weired ppl enter in other hotel ,,I didn't give 5 stars only because services like diving,,massage and safary are very very expensive comparing with outside,,if u wanna do something u can go with guys that provide all this with very cheap price,,

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank Hajer83
Write a ReviewReviews (1,402)

Reviewed 1 December 2013

IT IS TIME TO MAKE SOME MAJOR CHANGES.

I am good travel, which is used to go either 5 star hotel as more adventurous eco friendly.

Eden Village is neither acceptable quality nor service by ANY standard.

Zanzibar is a beautiful island that deserve a trip,
but unless you are a cheap single or couple with no traveling experience and easy to please with bad Italianized food, cooked by one of the few Italians that does not know how to cook, dirty toilets, noisy rooms, showers that are sometime working sometime not, and with loud pathetic shows ( do you want to be in a group of losers to have fun discussing your sex life in public and has never has real Italian food? if so, this is the place for you!)

The beach in front is magnificent! BUT as you step on it you get assaulted by beach vendors that want to sell you anything. Villagers ( there are 2 extremely poor Muslim villages attached to the back and side of the Eden Village: the villagers are always fully dressed and they sit hours on the beach waiting to get some fish to eat from the fishermen. I was uncomfortable bathing in bikini been both so rich and little dressed next to them.
So between the beach vendors, the villagers that are next to you and the jelly fish ( I got badly bitten on my second day), the wonderful beach that you see in the brochure is not that great anymore.

BEWARE OF THE ROOM NAMES and of the pictures on the brochure: they are DECEIVING to say the least!

We booked a beach bungalow, almost the most expensive categories. There was NO beach in front, but the open air bungalow for the shows, the beach volley, the kids club ( no kids), the restaurant. no privacy, nor open view nor quiet ( the show was so loud that it was not possible to sleep before midnight, and of the highest priced one most look completely over the wall and air conditioning unit of the room in front. a little better the cheaper ones on the back.

There are many hotels in Zanzibar, why choose Eden village and risk to spoil your few vacations?
if it seems cheaper, it is because it IS MUCH cheaper in services and quality.

Room Tip: just change hotel or go to the rooms on the back
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank paola g
Reviewed 28 January 2013

This is hotel doesn't accept walk-in guests, so don't make a mistake of walking in.

However, the restaurant is open to public and it was a beautiful location. The food was tastefully prepared and I'm very happy with the quality and the price. The service was also very good. I will certainly go back.

Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Sam W
Reviewed 6 September 2012

We tried to walk up to the reception at Eden to inquire about their rooms. However, upon attempting to walk up, we were assaulted by a guard employed by the hotel who did not speak any English (I think you have to be Italian to stay in this place? ) and physically blocked our way including grabbing me (a small woman) with his hands. Even the management at the restaurant was completely clueless on the beach when we asked them where the reception was and that we wanted to inquire about availability and rates. I have never encountered a hotel like that before.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Jen U
Reviewed 10 June 2009

Can't say I enjoyed may stay here, although the location is great. I experienced the same problem as a previous reviewer with currency conversion when trying to pay the bill using cash. They insisted the US dollars were converted to Canadian dollars (the owners now reside in Canada but are locals) before that got converted to Tanzania shillings. Absolute robbery, this place deserves to go bankrupt for sharp practice like that.

Couple this with the fact that they are charging exclusive resort prices for a 3* experience, a creepy restaurant manager that indicated he would like to have a homosexual liaison, no free bottled water in the room - not one little bottle in a country where you dare not touch the tap water! This resort sucks and it does so as a result of owner and management policy. I even had to step over a dog turd when I walked past the manager talking to a couple of members of staff on the narrow path to the beach between the final row of huts. Of course, you would expect that the offending faecal matter would have been removed 5 hours later, wouldn't you? After all, it was on the main route to the beach that just about everyone had to use and the management could not have failed to see it. Of course, you'd be wrong. It was still there 5 hours later - sums the place up, really.

The ordinary staff that work there were very nice and I feel sorry for them having to work at such place.

I could write a really long review of this place but it doesn't deserve the effort. I'll just say Do Not Stay Here. If you decide to ignore that advice good luck.

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled solo
10  Thank Broadron
Reviewed 19 December 2007

We stayed at the Amaan Kendwa in November 2007. The Resort is very well placed and it looks just the way 'postcards' show island resorts.

The Resort has different types of rooms (beach bungalows, villas...). We stayed in a villa caled Kartoon Villa. The view was fantastic. The rooms have been upgraded. Our room had a mozzie net, airconditioner, cupboard space and a fantastic bathroom. The rooms are being fiited with electronic safes as well.

Whilst we were there, the resort was busy completing a massive swimming pool, that looks almost like an aquarium.

The resort has an Indian restaurant literally on the beach and will gladly arrange a dinner for you on the beach. Numerous thached beach umbrellas dot the beach and you can snorkel of the beach. The sand is sugar fine and the beaches are generally very clean.

Overall the resort is fantastic.

Don't expect too much of the breakfasts though. You can expect corflakes and fruit juice everday. On the hot buffet, eggs, some 'beef' bacon and grilled tomatoes and beans are the order of the day, everday. No variety at all. You will also get some fruit fruit.

There are several other restaurants along the beach within walking distancing so feel free to pop by.

Will visit Zanzibar again. The scuba diving, snorkelling and swimming with the dolphins are fantastic.

• Stayed: November 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank woorsuthi
Reviewed 31 October 2007

Our flight was delayed for 5hours, we arrived late. The key broke as I opened the door. My wife's suitcase went missing on the plane. So very bad first night. The suitcase turned up the next morning - then we could relax.

Beach is absolutely great, and Habib is the only guy to speak to if you want to organise tours. After a few days you start to feel isolated, even on busy kendwa beach. It is expensive and tricky to move around the island. I would have liked to explore more.

The hotel itself? Satisfactory. Clean. Rooms are not five star, but they have aircon - which you need here. Bedlinen a bit cheap - not very comfortable sleeping as the week progressed.

Breakfast - very basic. omelette every morning, with some french toast and fruit. there are a few restaurants to choose from. Food is ok, and not overpriced. Having recently visited Mozambique I was a bit dissapointed by the overall quality of the seafood (Moz is so much better!).

People are friendly, language can be a problem.

Beach is AMAZING! Snorkelling was worth the $20US per person, and it included lunch on the beach. Stonetown is also amazing to see, beautiful buildings... the spice tour was cool - I think we have hotter spices down here in south africa though.

Overall I am glad we went. Zanzibar has an amazing vibe, beautiful beaches, amazing history. All of the resorts are very much isolated from the islanders, and this is sad. I would not go back, but I am glad I that I got to experience it.

Kendwa is satisfactory, the gardens are beautiful, and they are building a new swimming pool. Staff were extremely helpful the entire time, management as well. If you expect 5star luxury, you will be extremely dissapointed. If you expect decent, clean and basic accomodation, this is the one for you.

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank LoveJozi
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kendwa
Melia Zanzibar
Essque Zalu Zanzibar
#5 of 19 in Nungwi
Diamonds La Gemma dell' Est
Gold Zanzibar Beach House & Spa

Been to Eden Village Kendwa Beach Resort? Share your experiences!