“Luxury and Paradise”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Kendwa
New York City, New York
“Luxury and Paradise”
Reviewed 17 May 2014

It took me about a month before I finally decided to book the Gold. There are so many choices in Zanzibar but I narrowed my choice by choosing a hotel that is near the best beach during the rainy season. I was so happy with my choice. The beach in Kendwa was absolutely beautiful and was not affected by the tide at all. The hotel is amazing, the pool area was very clean and relaxing. The staff were all highly professional and always very pleasant. The rooms were very clean and the atmosphere at the hotel felt like you had been transported into 16th century Zanzibar luxury. The food was also very good and after spending 9 days in Dar I was quite pleased to have the variety that was offered here. The beach boys can get a bit annoying but the hotel does a good job at providing security that ensure they do not harass you while lounging on the chairs and don't come within 6 feet of where the guests are relaxing. Overall I would stay at this hotel again and would recommend it to anyone looking to spend time in paradise.

• Stayed May 2014
Ramdeo B, Directeur général at Gold Zanzibar Beach House & Spa, responded to this review, 14 June 2014
Dear smid 30,
We are very pleased to read your comments on Trip Advisor following your stay at Gold. Thank you for complimenting us on the beautiful white sand beach, the pool, the cleanliness of the Resort and well as the professionalism of our staff and the quality of the food.
We are delighted that you had a great stay in an "amazing hotel".
Please come again. We will be most pleased to host you again for another great Gold Experience.Thank you.
Regards
Ram Bhoyroo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 12 May 2014

We couldn't have been happier at this upmarket but relaxed beach resort.

After a disastrous stay at the Bluebay beach resort * we moved hotels for our final 2 nights and we are so pleased we did! The welcome we received, the upgrade to 1 of their 3 beautiful beach villas (wow) , the calm confidence of owners who clearly know what they are doing all added to the perfect atmosphere. The restaurant was intimate, the food beautifully prepared, presented and served. Although no official kids "club" the layout of the resort means your little ones ( mine 4&5) can have some degree of freedom as you can clearly see them while you relax and the staff were all more than happy to kick a football, throw a frisbee on the beach or chase around.... Perfect! Thank you to all the management and staff for rescuing our stay in Zanzibar... We can't wait to come back again

*( where my 4 year old was allowed to go off into the sea on his own whilst in the "care" of their so called kids club!)

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank Jenkenya
Ramdeo B, General Manager at Gold Zanzibar Beach House & Spa, responded to this review, 19 May 2014
Dear Jenkenya,
Thank you very much indeed for having stayed at Gold and for having posted such a great review on this site .We are absolutely delighted that you thoroughly enjoyed your satay at Gold and that you have among others, likes the restaurant ambiance and service, the quality and variety of food, the quality and structure of the Resort, the facilities and comfort of the luxury villas which you occupied with the family.
I am pleased that during my absence, you and your family were well looked after by our Manager, Anuradha.
We hope to welcome you again at Gold for another memorable stay.
regards.
Ram Bhoyroo and Anuradha
Rome/Thessaloniki/NY
Reviewed 26 April 2014

We stayed at the Gold Zanzibar for two nights after unfortunately missing our flight. We were quite excited as we had heard good reviews for this hotel and had never been to the the north of the island. Unfortunately we were quite disappointed. Firstly, the condition of the rooms needs to be improved. Although the design concept is really nice, our room had a lot of areas where the paint was chipping quite badly, a bit of paint and it would have been a beautiful room. The food was average, although there was big buffet the taste was quite sterile. I would recommend maybe a smaller buffet with more authenticity. The staff is confused, some were very attentive and polite and others seemed as though they were not interested at all. Another thing was the music, in the 48 hours we were there they had one cd that kept playing over and over again from morning to night that was driving us crazy. I did mention it to several of the staff but no one did anything. The beach is nice and the location is well known. With a little TLC this hotel could very well be stunning.

2 Thank Dimitra202
Ramdeo B, Directeur général at Gold Zanzibar Beach House & Spa, responded to this review, 29 April 2014
Dear Dimitra 20,
Thank you for having stayed those two days at Gold and for having taken time to post a review.
We value our guest's comments as they are objective and constructive.
Thank you for complimenting us on our great location and the nice Resort.
We will certainly work towards bringing continuous improvements to the Resort.
We hope to welcome you again in the future.
Kind regards
Reviewed 22 April 2014

My fiancé and I have just returned from an Easter getaway at Zanzibar Gold. We cannot rate the hotel highly enough. The hotel is modern, stylish, yet has a warmth to it. We could have easily stayed another week! The food was excellent every day, great facilities, and friendly staff. The rooms have everything you could need. Great views, air conditioning, plenty of storage and extra special touches such as your own beach bag per room to take to the beach. The hotel pool is fantastic, and the beach is simply perfect. Amazing sunsets every evening. The icing on the cake, literally, was the special Birthday cake and song the staff graced me with on the evening of my birthday! We will be back again soon!

Room Tip: We stayed in an Ocean View Deluxe Room and highly recommend it! We had everything we could wish for!
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Ramdeo B, Directeur général at Gold Zanzibar Beach House & Spa, responded to this review, 24 April 2014
Dear Crumpet_G,
I am very pleased to read your comments and that you have so much enjoyed your stay at Gold.
Thank you for complimenting us on the beauty of our Resort, the quality of Food, the Rooms and the facilities and comfort they provide, the friendliness of the Staff....
Our Pool and Beach are absolutely great and I am happy that you enjoyed them thoroughly.
Thank you for having stayed at Gold.We look forward to welcoming you again among us.
Kind regards
Stafford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 April 2014

Weeks before even arriving at the hotel, I was delighted with the pre-holiday service I received when contacting the hotel (although did not book direct with them). Having read many reports here from previous guests, I wrote to the hotel asking them to arrange collection service from the airport and, although having booked a Deluxe Garden View Room, for a first floor room (which, unbeknown to me at the time, is classed as an Deluxe Ocean View Room). Upon arrival at the airport, the air-conditioned taxi was waiting (despite my flight being 45 minutes late) and upon arrival at the hotel, was shown to the requested room i.e. Ocean View Deluxe Room.

Upon arrival, I was immediately impressed with the service. One of the reception staff escorted me to my room and described the services on offer and explained the layout of the hotel facilities whilst another staff member transported my cases. One of the reasons I booked this hotel was the pictures of the rooms on different websites and I was not disappointed when seeing them first hand.

They are very spacious. Clean. Not typical hotel bedrooms around the world. Clever little touches include umbrella, bag to transport personal belongings to beach, etc., The rooms also include sizeable safe without additional cost. The toilet/b'day area is clean and spacious. The double sink area is also spacious, clean and comes with toiletries, shaving electrical outlet, face towels, tissues, clean towels everyday (good quality and soft). The shower is excellent. Large area and overhead sprinkler type which you can personally control with respect to the power it generates and the heat of water. The separate bath is large although did not use as shower was great. Dressing area has 2 large space areas for hanging clothes with 3 large drawers and shelves for shoes, cases, etc. The 'living' area is well laid out with the bed in the centre of the room. The bed is large, surrounded by excellennt mosquito nets (sprayed every night by hotel stafff against mosquitos) with the mattress being located in a recess in the centre of a concrete 'plinth' with a concrete surround and bedside lights either side. It is superb. Each day (if you request with the 'card' found in the room) clean, fresh, 'crisp' sheets are provided and of good quality. On one side of the room is another long concrete plinth covered in large cushions and pillows acting as a very large and comfortable settee and down the other side of the room is a wooden shelf (personally used as a work station for doing e-mails, computer stuff, etc.,). There are lots of electrical sockets however, be careful, they are NOT UK standard as expected (as rest of Tanzania) but are Italian (3 pin in a straight line although I found can fit standard 2 pin European in them and they worked) however, the staff located these for me as I had taken only UK standard. They were so helpful, Mary in reception was even charging my laptop daily for me while she resolved the problem and provided me with the appropriate socket to use in my room. Thank you Mary. The TV in the room has many options other than being a TV and kept me informed on expected local weather (it was rainy season), news headlines, music, etc., however, the only drawback is the internet is slow at times and re-boots occasionally (appears good in the early mornings and not so good afternoons/early evening). Large windows leading onto a spacious balcony make up the final side of the room and offer a great view of the pool, beach, Ocean and sunsets (at least mine did). The balcony has coffee table, double seater settee and 2 soft chairs.

Other aspects of the hotel do not disappoint either. The bars, restaurants, small gym, spa area (did not use), large pool area, great beach are all kept clean and very presentable. The sun-loungers are comfortable and beach towels are a plenty. Large sun-umbrellas and 'tables' for books, bags, sun lotion, etc., are provided for each pair of sun-loungers and the staff and service are attentive (only when required) and occasionally also bring round complimentary fruit drinks and coconut/fruit 'bites'. Beach sellers are NOT allowed into the sun-lounge area! There are staff available if required for pool activities, beach games, etc., but they are not pushy and always happy to be of assistance if required. You can be as relaxed or as active as you would like to be.

I have deliberately left the restaurant, food and service to last. The food is varied, well presented and fresh. Numerous options are available at meal times and they try to vary the location depending upon the weather e.g. beach, poolside, restaurant, etc., and the method of presentation e.g. barbecue, buffet, menu service, etc., It has clearly been thought about and on each and every occasion was relaxing and well prepared and carried out. Personally I was on half-board basis and if having lunch, was presented a varied and reasonably priced menu. Drinks were extra on my bill and again were reasonably priced. At the end of my 14 night stay, my bill was 100% accurate as I had kept a daily tally due to previous bad experiences with being over-charged in other hotels around the world.

As for service at the hotel, it was excellent. From reception, to the room and in particular, the bar (both Hagi {forgive the spelling buddy} and Godfrey) and the girls in the restaurant who look after you so well during meal times. I shall never forget how helpful and cheerful they were especially Febby and Ziada. Thank you ALL. In addition, the General Manager takes the time to visit each meal time and shows a genuine interest in your stay and opinions. A welcome personal touch not normally provided or experienced.

At the end of my stay, the hotel had again arranged for my transport back to the airport and everything was on time and as planned. The Genral Manager and his Financial Manger run the hotel in a very professional, effective and efficient manner and I am happy to thouroughly and highly recommend Gold Zanzibar for a holiday. Thank you Gold for a very relaxing, pleasureable and memorable holiday. I shall return.

Ray

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
Ramdeo B, Directeur général at Gold Zanzibar Beach House & Spa, responded to this review, 21 April 2014
Dear Ray,
Thank you very much indeed for having stayed at Gold and for having taken time to post a review on Trip Advisor following your stay at Gold.
Your comments motivates and encourages us to continue to constantly work towards searching for the well being and satisfaction of our guests.
I am very pleased that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay and thank you again for complimenting us on the quality of our Resort , all the facilities we provide and the quality of our service.
All of us convey our warm regards to you and look forward to your next visit at Gold.
Regards
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 15 April 2014

I had a very enjoyable time at the Gold Zanzibar - so much so I extended my stay for another 6 days.
My stayed was during March 2014 - I booked a Deluxe Garden View room (Half Board)

The room size was more than enough for 1 person - with it's own luggage area and bathroom complete with shower and bath (and bidet if you require!).
The room was clean - bed fitted with mosquito net - a member of staff would come around evening to check and spray for mosquitos.

With half board it meant a buffet breakfast and buffet evening meal was included with the booking.
Breakfast - Eggs, bacon, beans, potatoes, cereals, fruit juices, fruit and assorted European & local pastries.
Evening meal - Many different barbecued meats (beef, chicken, lamb etc) & seafood (prawns, octopus, calamari, salad, curries, dessert, fruit and they had their own in-house Italian Pasta Chef. Dinner was served in the restaurant but on a few occasions served around the pool area or beach. When by the pool or beach there was a show put on by the local entertainers and dancers.
Soft drinks, beer and wine for dinner you had to pay for separately.

Staff were excellent - very friendly.
Special mention to the waiters and waitresses who were top notch.

There is a private beach - where you can relax on the sun loungers without getting hassle from the local beach boys/women selling their wares.
Depending on the tide you can walk over to the next beach, Nungwi.
Nice pool (salt water)and 2 bars with sports channels should you decide you want to watch the football. If you fancy a game of football then there's a pick up game on the beach everyday for a hour-or-so before the sun goes down.
I would highly recommend this hotel.

One very very minor point.
The hotel has it's own in-house TV system which showed a number of news channels (BBC, CNN, Sky News) and then a number of UAE and (strangely) Egyptian channels. So take a few books or some sort of electronic tablet for your own entertainment.
10/10

Room Tip: Try and get a room near to the restaurant or bar - means it's a shorter walk to the pool and bea...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank HarroYip
Ramdeo B, Directeur général at Gold Zanzibar Beach House & Spa, responded to this review, 17 April 2014
Dear Davy Yip,
Greetings from Gold Zanzibar.
It is with pleasure that I read your comments which you have posted on Trip Advisor.
I am happy that you enjoyed your stay here, that you like the spacious clean rooms, the Food and our excellent staff.
Thank you for having stayed at Gold Zanzibar Beach House and Spa and we hope to have the pleasure to welcome you again for another great stay among us.
Best regards
Moscow, Russia
Reviewed 12 April 2014

Overall this is a great hotel with very good amenities. The food overall was great. The service was also good from most people, with some exceptions. The room was also very well done - large, comfortable, clean and modern. The restaurant was very impressive. The beach was ok, but could have done better if it was not public (but the hotel can't do anything about this). The pool looks very nice, but it's so hot that we did not try it! The hotel has a definite Italian flavor, with even the singer being Italian. This was just fine with us - a lot of fun actually! We are not Italian and felt like part of the crowd!

On the service, as I said the hotel did well for the most part, but you know that slogan "we try harder" - the hotel should heed more to this message. Not to wait until someone comes in with a complaint, but to proactive act and ask "How can we help? What can we do? We want to do this for you?". Some nicer people at the hotel helped resolve our issue eventually, but not the main person involved. So hopefully the hotel will instill more of a "proactive" attitude to problem solving once they learn about them.

Another thing, I'd suggest for the hotel to charge a bit less for the taxi from the airport and to the airport - what they offered was too expensive. I understand it's a luxury hotel, but still would be more reasonable on something like this.

Room Tip: Sea view is a definite must + a higher floor. So would call in to ask for an upgrade or just pay...
1 Thank fulcrum2
Ramdeo B, Directeur général at Gold Zanzibar Beach House & Spa, responded to this review, 14 April 2014
Dear Fulcrum2,
Thank you for having stayed at Gold and for having taken time to express your views following your stay.

We are pleased that you enjoyed your holiday here and that you like the resort, the quality of the food and the service as well as the facilities we offer.

I have read with attention your comments which we value and thank you again for that.
We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you again at Gold,
Kind Regards
Ram
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kendwa
Melia Zanzibar
DoubleTree by Hilton Resort Zanzibar - Nungwi
Zanzi Resort
Zanzi Resort
#3 of 167 in Zanzibar Island

Been to Gold Zanzibar Beach House & Spa? Share your experiences!