“Easter Family Camping Break” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Parkdean - Sandford Holiday Park

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Holton Heath
Parkdean - Sandford Holiday Park
Bicester, United Kingdom
“Easter Family Camping Break”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2014

Our second time camping here, check in was quick and easy, a great pitch, not too far from the camping shop and shower/toilet facilities and a very safe environment for the kids to explore. Admittedly we were a few minutes walk from the main facilities, shops, pool and entertainment but we were comfortable with this as it meant that other than fellow campers there was very little traffic and people wandering late at night.
The shower block was good but could have been a little cleaner and there was the odd occasion when you had to hunt down the loo with any paper in it but I've seen much worse. The water was hot and the shower cubicles spacious.
Look out for the taps in the washing up area, they tend to explode with water every time you press them and you will get a good soaking.
The £5 deposit for a sink plug seemed a little silly but it's best that you know about it...not an issue if you have your own washing up bowl I guess.
We didn't see much of the entertainment as it did very get very busy and trying to find seats was near impossible unless you got there early but it was the Easter weekend.
The queues at the bar were quite long some evenings but we did spend a fair time in there watching football on the big screens, having long lazy breakfasts and Sunday lunch especially on the one rainy day that we had.
Kids loved playing in the soft play and in the arcade and we felt very comfortable letting them wander around.
Corfe Castle was a great day out and the kids took part in the Cadbury Easter Egg Hunt as well as learning about the area and attraction through the trail.
We bought walkie talkies for the kids before we went and as the range was so good there was no issue with them exploring and keeping in touch so we got to relax on the pitch ourselves.
As always ran out of time to do all the things we wanted to but maybe we'll do more than 3 nights next time.

Room Tip: Ask for a flat pitch...the first time we went we ended up on a steep sloping one!
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (135)
london
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2014

As the title says you really are cut off staying here and it is essential to have a car to get anywhere. There are no local shops so the only shop within walking distance is on site and how expensive it is. A 2 litre bottle of coke was £2.50! It also is very poorly stocked.

But our caravan was excellent.
We had a Swanage 3 bedroom with veranda. There was ample space for us, 4 adults and 4 children (ranging from 10 to 2 years old.) It was clean and very well equipt (even a vacuum cleaner!) Plenty of kitchen equipment and two televisions to keep both children and adults happy! No complaints there...........

Now for the unhappy bits,,,,, Check in is an absolute farce. When we arrived we noticed there were crowds of people sitting outside the reception area but thought they were just drinking enjoying the sun. I went to the reception desk at 3;55pm to be told my caravan wasn't ready and come back in 10 minutes. I walked back to my family and sat down. Suddenly at 4pm on the dot the crowd sitting outside all rushed in. Apparently 4pm check means 4pm check in at Sandford! The queue went out of reception past the outside restaurant seating area towards the park entrance. I finally got back to the reception 20 minutes later again to be told caravan was still not ready. I was asked to come back in another 10 minutes, I asked if I could go to the front of the queue when returning for the third time and was told No you will have to queue again!!!
Im sorry but I refused to move and asked to see a manager who miraculously found my holiday pack. He did apologize.
Really need to sort out staggering check in as other holiday companies do.

The other problem was in the Arcade area. This is packed in the evening with quite a few unsupervised children asking adults for money (this did happened in both mine and my daughter case,)

The Club is lovely but bar prices are very expensive.My son in law was charged £2,25 for a glass of diet coke one night then I was charged £1.75 the next night, when asked why the Barman just said 'thats the price'.
The entertainers work very hard and the children loved it,
Beware it can get packed in there very early but we were there over the Easter break and the Park did seem very full.

We also ate in the restaurant one evening and enjoyed our meal. There was a good choice of food for the children to eat and the service was excellent.

On the whole we had a good holiday and the children loved it which was the main thing but would we return?
I doubt it but may try different Park for our next Easter break.

Rooms
1 Thank kim304
Pewsey, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2014

We have just got back from staying here and although our caravan was good it didn't have the wow factor that Heather's had. We also stayed through the voucher system with The Sun and we got a 2 bedroom with 1 toilet and must have been there at the same time. I spoke with several couples on the bus stop one day and they also got lucky with 3 bedrooms. Luck of the draw I gather & I am never that lucky.
Our bedroom light had gone so I rang just after 9.00 a.m.to report & when we got back from going out for the day after 6.00 p.m. it had not been done. Apparently the computers had gone down and we had been missed. They did send someone immediately after phoning them again and it was before dark so it wasn't a problem.
There are bust stops just outside the park and run in both directions every hour which was excellent.
All in all it was good but when you hear that others are getting more than you for the same amount of money it "hurts".

Room Tip: Pot Luck I'm afraid
Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Taunton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2014 via mobile

I went to Sandford not expecting too much as it was a holiday booked through The Sun voucher system. We'll I was pleasantly surprised. I had a beautiful caravan about 3 mins from reception. The caravan had 3 bedrooms 2 toilets and central heating. Thought I had died and gone to heaven. It was more than I expected. My family and I had a fabulous time(even tho it rained). Plenty of entertainment on site. The staff are all so friendly and helpful. Nothing was too much trouble. One waitress in particular Julie was exceptionally patient with us as I have quite a fussy family with food. We got exactly what was asked for. I will definitely be going there again

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Heather c
Esher, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2014 via mobile

As a family (daughter 5) we had a good time. We took our motor home and were surprised at how quiet it was. It is a large site but with so many trees and bushes we felt cosy and secluded. Neighbours kept the noise down it was lovely. Showers hot and lots of water though maybe not enough cubicles, ladies showers too hot . The resort facilities were very good and my daughter loved the kids club. Though we felt the music in the kids disco was not appropriate our daughter had a great time.

Avoid the fish at the fish & chip take away, genuinely the second worst I have ever had anywhere. Fish rubbery, grey & tasteless.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
west midlands
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2014

Obviously, my expectations for this trip were quite low and overall we came away quite happy. The cliché 'you get what you pay for' is again relevant.

The Caravan

We upgraded to a so called deluxe, it was deluxe because it had heated bedrooms and a microwave. this speaks volumes. It did its job but comfort, warmth and space - very average. Most appliances were worn, some unacceptable, some missing. The kettle suffered badly with limescale, the TV was very small and many appliances were overdue a PAT test. So be wary of this.

The park

Entertainment was the park's strong point. The troopers are great and there's quite a lot to do on site. Arcades, swimming, golf etc etc. The food is OK although they rarely have what you order. I was let down with Mexican chilli, local sausages and kebab meat - gutted. Drinks etc are aplenty. The on site shop is pricey. Staff were untrained and sometimes rude.

Location

This is very poor, Wareham is quite near but very small. Poole and the beach a fair drive. Weymouth 40 mins.

Overall, a cheap and kind of cheerful break. IMO this site has suffered by the amount of visitors it has received and a lack of care.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
      Rooms
1 Thank flavell7
Oxford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2014 via mobile

Second time back to this site with our touring caravan.
They were sold out online but after giving them a ring - they had a cancellation which we promptly took.
Usual arrival greeting from the ever helpful and genuinely friendly ladies at the Touring & Camping reception. Got to out pitch and it was full of families and children all out playing. My two children couldn't wait to get put of the car!
We promptly set up and my 11 year old went off to find friends whilst my 2 year old pottered around on his ride on.
The showers & the area were immaculate as I'm really fussy about this ... Can't bear the thought of dirty showers etc. and always take flip flops everywhere else. Never needed them here!
Lovely and warm, roomy and ideal for mummy's with children or daddy's with children
My eldest loved the pool party and the site security is second to none. Both my children enjoyed a little (controlled) freedom.
People here are friendly and genuine. Shops not over priced and the chip shop is great if you fancy a treat.
Love this site as it's always clean, tidy and welcoming. Nothing is ever too much trouble for the staff and it's full of like minded families.
Can't wait to go back
Thank you Sandford - I think my usually fussy dysfunctional family love your site!!

Stayed April 2014
The Haven Hotel
#8 of 14 in Poole
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,356 reviews
BEST WESTERN Hotel Rembrandt

Been to Parkdean - Sandford Holiday Park? Share your experiences!