“A hidden gem!”
Review of The Old Forge

The Old Forge
Reviewed 29 December 2010

Our family stayed at the Old Forge to celebrate my grandmother's 80th birthday and between us stayed in two of the B&B rooms, Rosie the Gypsy Caravan and Sam the Shepherds Hut.

I slept in Sam which was a truly unique experience; no electricity but a lovely wood burning stove to keep us warm. Our hut was in a field with beautiful views and a very friendly donkey for a neighbour. My only slight disappointment was there were no biscuits in the hut as written about often in the guest-book but I'm sure if i had asked Lucy and Tim would have helped.

Tim and Lucy were lovely hosts who really went the extra mile to help my grandmother when she became ill. Their cooked breakfast full of local produce was delicious. The whole place is beautifully decorated and furnished and even the outbuildings are full of charm. A real hidden gem! Thanks for a lovely stay.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank PurpleHazeUK

Reviewed 13 October 2010

I booked two days at Rosie Gypsy van for my daughter and fiance. I went there in advance to look and to pay. I loved the place immediately - a fantastic relaxed step-back-in-time feel to both the van and the Forge. My daughter and fiance had the most wonderful time there and thoroughly loved the laid-back simplicity of the experience. Lucy and Tim were wonderful hosts and provided what my daughter described as the most delicious breakfasts and a fantastic picnic lunch. The van boasts glorious views all around and is beautifully restored. I would recommend it to anyone - particularly if you want to give someone a really special surprise!

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank kimkatrina
Reviewed 28 September 2010

We stayed here for a suprise weekend to celebrate my Mothers birthday. The suprise was Rosie and Sam the quirky and wonderfully restored Gyspy Caravan and Shepherds Hut. Both were cosy and great fun to stay in as was the rest of the accommodation in the main house. The breakfasts were scrumptious and plentiful and the hosts, Lucy and Tim, could not do enough for us and helped out enourmously when my Mother became unwell. The location is fantastic, with lots of attractions closeby and Milestones the tea shop/restaurant through the woods does excellent evening meals reasonably priced.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank dizzie8
Reviewed 1 September 2010

This wonderful peaceful place is just like Shangri La.We spent the most romantic night in Rosie the gypsy caravan looking up at the stars ,it was so very tranquil in an amazing setting.Tim and Lucy are the most excellent hosts and are very proud of their achievements,rightly so .They showed us all the other accommodation and we were impressed especially with The Shepherds Hut.Tim showed us his pride and joy the Lagonda which he lovingly restored over a number of years and we enjoyed hearing all about it.Before we left we were treated to the most scrumptious breakfast all locally sourced.We will be back and would recommend that you try it.You will not be dissapointed.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank gdb066
Reviewed 12 August 2010

I have just returned from a three day honeymoon staying in the Shepherds Hut and it was wonderful. As we approached the Old Forge by road my new wife and I caught a glimpse the Shepherds hut through the hedges. It was stood all alone in a field with just two horses and Scrumpy Jack the Donkey as neighbours. The views of the beautiful dorset countryside seem to go on forever.
We were greeted on our arrival by Tim and Lucy, their passion of the Shepherds Hut, their pride and joy, is extremely infectious. We were given the full guided tour of the newly fitted toilet and shower including the compost loo, then it was onto the Shepherds Hut. It is stunning in everyway, the exterior of the hut strikes up images of it's past perched on a hill, a haven for the shepherd, the interior is something else altogether! Cosy is the first thing that springs to mind. The bed fills the back wall is the most comfortable we have ever slept in. Sat in the corner is a homely little woodburning stove used to boil the kettle for a much needed cup of tea. The rest of the room is filled with such nice little touches, the shepherd crook hanging from the ceiling, all the old antique packages, a radio and the home baked biscuits, all of which add to the whole experience. We spent our first night in the shepherds hut snuggled up listening to the raindrops. The breakfast we were served the following morning was the cherry on the cake, all local produce cooked to perfection.
All in all this was the most amazing three nights and we would highly recommend this experience.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank wallaces07082010
Reviewed 1 July 2010

We have just spent four days at the Old Forge
and they were what I can only begin to describe as the most
amazing , Relaxing and peaceful days We have had in a very very long time...
The Shepherd hut is just that , a retreat.
if you are seeking escapism , quiet calmness and a chance to remind yourself
what life is like out of the fast lane this is the way to do it.
from fits of giggles when I was the best at lighting the stove for a cuppa
or waking up with a smile to the gentle Werk of the Chickens.
Breakfast was amazing and we don't have small appetites , Lucy even coped with
and catered for my Vegan diet bless her (not easy at short notice)
this was the best holiday ever
if its flat screen TV and designer wardrobes you want
don't bother , all you will find is lovely surroundings
wonderful people and fantastic food
sheer heaven.
We will be return here many times more
it should be on prescription.

(ps give my love to scrumpy jack)

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 June 2010

Whilst the "experience" of sleeping in teeny gypsy caravan without electricity in the middle of field surrounded by a horse and a donkey and some chickens is not one you can come across everyday it is worth a try.
There is nothing in the shed on wheels other than the bed, and a weeny pot belly stove.
No drawers, no wardrobe, not so much as a box of tissues.

Do beware that the bathroom is self contained in a garage, with a compost toilet.

The breakfast although delicious with it's local produce was on the meagre side.

Whilst I did enjoy the short stay, I think the "experience" is very overpriced at £95 per night.
To stay in a shed on wheels, in the middle of a paddock, no electricity, no toiletries in the bathroom provided other than toilet roll really shouldn't be more than a maximum of £60 per night which includes the sheer novelty experience.
Not even one socket where you could charge your phone.

Tim and Lucy seem to beleive that a bare minimum experience with no amenities, no little welcome touches is worth paying the amount you would pay for a 4 star hotel with room service, with amenities, etc etc.

Just not so. Sorry.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
4  Thank lemonade2010
The_Old_Forge-Dorset, Owner at The Old Forge, responded to this reviewResponded 3 September 2011

In reply to the critisms in this review i would like to point out the following. Firstly our residents should be informed that they did not in fact stay in a "Teeny Gypsy caravan, but in a Dorset
Shepherd's hut .Dorset Shepherds are just as he pointed out ."nothing but a shed on wheels" & they don't usually come with wardrobes.The bathroom is not in a garage but in an adjacent agricultural building with an old furgie tractor with period enamal signs which captures the atmosphere we are trying to achieve. I remember that you yourself had not even booked the experience, which in fact had been booked on your behalf by a third party as you were attending a local wedding. My wife & I were very hurt when you decided not to spend the second night we were unable to book the hut to anyone else . Whilst we were entitled to charged for the second night we decided to let you go without paying. In future we will only book "Sam The Shepherd's hut" to people who have chosen it for what it is trying to be. Tim Kerridge (Sam's owner)

Also consider these accommodations in or near Compton Abbas
#1 of 3 in Farnham
Duchess of Cornwall Inn
Duchess of Cornwall Inn
#1 of 1 in Poundbury

Been to The Old Forge? Share your experiences!