“Lovely camping location”
Review of Tom's Field

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Langton Matravers
Tom's Field
Reviewed 4 September 2013

I stayed here with a friend whilst we were walking the coast.The site doesn't take bookings and is popular so advisable to arrive early.There was a decent size pitch for us in a vw camper.The site is in a stunning location right next to a footpath leading to the coast which is a short walk.The site shop and all other facilities were good.There is a breakfast outlet called the bothy which is open for a couple of hours in the morning and serves a good breakfast.Even though the site was busy all noise seemed to stop by 11pm.I would definitely camp there again.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 26 August 2013

Stayed here for one night only, but that was because the weather was poor, not for any other reason. Had previously read (It is in the Cool Camping guide) about this place and my sister had stayed here before and recommended it. I haven't camped since I was a kid so was a bit dubious. We wanted somewhere that was peaceful, had good facilities and hot water and we got what we wanted. Cant compare to another campsite because I haven't been to any but we got what we wanted here. I think we paid £17 for the night. Showers are token operated and as a female who spends quite a long time in the shower found that one token was plenty (25p). Make sure you take flip flops for the shower. Plenty of places to wash up so no waiting. There is a breakfast place which we didn't use but it was reasonably priced and was popular so must be good. Owner was a bit of a grump when we arrived. He asked 'is it a big tent?' to which I replied 'no' and my sister replied 'yes', to which he responded in a not so friendly manner 'well which is it?' As we hadn't actually put the tent up before we didn't really know. Thankfully 3 lovely campers helped us to erect the tent because we had no idea! The location is the best bit though. Corfe castle is a short drive and there are plenty of places to explore the Jurassic Coast. A cream tea is a must as well as a visit the The Square and Compass pub and try one of their pasties. We sat outside, having a pasty and a pint while a small group of men were singing and playing guitar. Fantastic. You can see why Enid Blyton was so inspired by this place.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 22 July 2013

Very well run site with very friendly staff. Considered not going due to the poor reviews of their customer service but glad I gave them the benifit of the doubt. Just the kind of campsite I was after. Informal with common sense rules. Perfect location for some great walks and beautiful beaches and pubs. Will return soon

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Jonathan G
Reviewed 5 July 2013

This beautiful, well maintained campsite is located about 1 1/2 miles from the coast in Langton Ma Travers. It is set within the fields' hedgerows, with some nettles left for the wildlife. If you are lucky you will be serenaded by a small brown bird in the morning.
If you turn up early enough you can chose just the right spot for your tent and yourselves! It is a popular campsite at weekends.
There was lots of hot water for showers and washing up. As usual the shower cubicles were very tiny, it was difficult to avoid getting clean clothes wet.
We chose it because we were walking this part of the SW Coastal path. Langton Ma Travers is on a bus route which links Swanage and Poole, -, be careful to check the bus times, as the timetable which I downloaded recently suggested a more frequent bus service.
We had a wonderful week with some sun and mist and a bit of rain and wind.

Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Angela P
Reviewed 9 June 2013

Tom's field is a lovely 'back to basics' campsite in a great location. There are many great walks in the surrounding countryside. I cannot recommend the actual campsite more. Unfortunately on arrival the female owner didn't seem very friendly and just listed the rules of the campsite before taking our money and moving onto the next customer. I just feel it would have been nice to give us a bit more information about the campsite/surrounding area, or at least to wish us good holiday. It just felt very formal.
All in all though a lovely camping weekend had by all. Will definitely return.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank sonja6920
Reviewed 28 May 2013

Turned up on the Friday evening of the May Bank Holiday weekend slightly nervous it would be full but all was fine. As it was late we were told to find a pitch and settle the next day.
We went round and pitched on the higher field. This proved a mistake in as much that I havent bought chocs yet for my camper so our nights sleep was interesting!
Anyway, the campsite is a sort of rustic quaint campsite in a great spot, especially for walkers. We walked to the Square and Compass, as well as being literally round the corner from the company that does coasteering.
Showers and loos are basic but that adds to the charm if you ask me. Breakfast in the cafe was ok, not amazing but done the job.
In the end we spotted a pitch on the lower field and grabbed it. Much nicer spot, not got the view but less windy, flat and felt more private. That is where I would try and get again. And will def come back here as the area has so much to offer.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Lee R
Reviewed 17 May 2013

Tom’s Field is a well run site in the beautiful Dorset countryside. The campsite was very quiet (well, it was quite early in the season I guess). We were allowed to pitch wherever we wanted. The site is nice and flat, immaculately clean and well laid out with fresh water points all over the site. The staff are extremely polite, cheerful and helpful. The toilet block facilities are perfectly adequate and clean. The showers work on a token system at 25p for 3 minutes which is fine for a nice hot shower.

The site is well located for some great coastal walks and local attractions of Southern Dorset. It's a short drive in to Swanage for some nice pubs and supermarkets although there is a well stocked shop on site and the Langton Matravers village shop sells locally sourced produce.

The pubs in the village are fine although The Kings Head is not particularly welcoming to tourists / outsiders. The Square & Compass in nearby Worth Matravers is a must for the great selection of local beers and ciders.

We would definitely come back to Tom’s Field again (although probably when the weather is less inclement).

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
Herston Caravan & Camp Site
Downshay Farm
Downshay Farm
#2 of 14 in Swanage

Been to Tom's Field? Share your experiences!