“Lovely staff nice rooms great value”

Chilton Country Pub and Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Fencehouses
Reviewed 5 June 2014

Was staying here on business and had a great room . This hotel is spotlessly clean. Warm welcoming staff with great food and nothing is to much trouble . The menu offers great choices at very good prices good home fresh cooked food. It is easy to reach once you find your way and close to Durham , Sunderland , and A1 . Just feel that I have again got to mention the great smiling cheerful staff from morning to night . Yes the hotel has got some tired chipped paint but overall it is very cosy and really worth a stay , better than the Travel lodges and premier inns for value .
Hope to be staying here on a regular basis very happy to recommend really enjoyed my stay.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank chinchalk
There are newer reviews for Chilton Country Pub and Hotel

Reviewed 14 May 2014

It's good to see independent hotels really trying hard to compete with the big boys, and certainly the Chilton does very well in this respect. Firstly, be under no allusions, this is a budget hotel so don't expect the Ritz. It's used by a lot of contractors as a good value, low cost reliable, clean place to stay. For me, I was doing a couple of days work in the Sunderland area, so the Chilton was reasonable travelling distance and, for £40 room only from Laterooms appeared to fit the bill.

The hotel is easy to find with a satnav. The area is quite rural and the view from my room was pleasant, with horses in the field and a couple of sparrowhawks scaring off the competition. The fact that there are no major roads around meant I could sleep with the window open without any traffic noise, which can be a problem in a town. Also, there is something quite soothing about being woken to birdsong in the morning.

The rooms are on either the ground or first floor. If you have mobility problems, be aware that the stairs are a little steep so it might be a good idea to request the ground floor on booking. The rooms are basic, but all are en suite and clean. Beds have mattress protectors on (After Alex Polizzi, I always check!!) and are firm. Sleep quality is good. There is plenty of hanging space in the wardrobe, although a bucket chair tended to get in the way of the wardrobe. In my room there was a standard sized washbasin in the room and also a small washbasin in the en-suite. The Mira 88 shower is reasonable, providing medium pressure water. My shower screen had come off its runners but still did the job. Mini bottles of shower gel and shampoo are provided. There is a wall mounted TV which accesses freeview channels and a good desk area which I used to catch up with work in the evening. Wi-Fi is free and reasonable speed. I was able to stream a movie with minimal buffering time needed. Good sized mirrors are in the room, although none are full-length which would upset my wife, but since I was alone, it didn't bother me.

The staff are very friendly and helpful, from check-in to bar staff. My rate was a special one where I had to order a 2 course meal in the evening and did not include breakfast. Meals in the bar are fairly inexpensive and there is a good range on offer. Tuesday night was burger night, and this was one of those burgers where it is a challenge to pick it up and eat it in the traditional sense without it exploding over your face, but I was happy for this to happen. A starter of chicken tikka bites was pleasant. On the next evening, I had a generous plate of nachos followed by a reasonable chicken kebab on rice, oddly served with a baked potato and roasted vegetables.

Breakfast in the morning was adequate and came in at £7.50. The whole range is on offer, from bacon sandwiches to full English. The continental selection is very limited though. I went for a couple of poached eggs on toast, which were nicely cooked. Eggs were free range and had a distinctive orange rather than yellow yolk.

Would I visit again. Yes, without a doubt. The good service, tranquil surroundings and decent clean room made it good value for money.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank RobbyJBridlington
Reviewed 12 May 2014

Although the location of the hotel is a little off the beaten track which can have its advantages, but only about 10 mins from Junction 62 of A1(M) anyway. The staff make you welcome from the outset and give excellent customer service too. The food at the Chilton whether it is the breakfast or the evening meal selection is first class and excellent value too - no need to find somewhere else if you are not so inclined. The hotel does in part, needs to be brightened up a little but I'm sure that will happen on its next makeover. Would we stay again, yes without any problem what so ever.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Doug B
Reviewed 3 May 2014

I stayed here with my husband in late April, as we were attending a fundraising event for Parkinson's UK . There were over 120 guests and the place was really busy. From the moment we took our seats, we were impressed by the swift service and the excellent staff. The food was very impressive, good home cooked food. Well done to the chef and his team.
The bar staff were also on their toes, as it was a very busy evening. All in all, we had a good night, and even stayed over. The room was lovely, with a beautiful view. The breakfast was so good. My husband said that the sausage was one of the best he had ever had! The morning staff were chatty, without being intrusive. Sandra served us, she was so happy and cheery, I wish I could be that happy on a morning!. Thank you to all the staff and the chefs. Especially to Kelly the Senior Assistant Manager, Who I Know was in charge that evening. You did a fine job, well done.

Room Tip: the executive suite is lovely.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank bazmags1
Reviewed 2 May 2014

Short and enjoyable stay. Good clean spacious rooms. Can recommend restraunt,good food and value for money.The staff were extremely friendly and helpful . Nothing was too much trouble.
Although we were not part of the wedding that was being held there at the time the staff had the time for us and were courteous and polite

Room Tip: Room no. 22 or25
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 April 2014

I booked 7 rooms for me and my travelling wedding party to stay here over two nights in December. while booking these rooms i was told that i would have to make a definate booking as these dates are usually taken up by a large coach trip every year, so i booked them immediately, i was also told at this point that i would not need to pay a deposits and all monies were to be paid on departure. so all fine and then i started to recieve phone calls from the hotel saying that we would need to pay deposits despite being told this was unnecessary. so i went back to my guests and asked for the £25 that the receptionist who called had made up in her head. i then thought nothing about it as deposits had been paid and assumed (as you do) that there wouldnt be anymore phone calls.

I then kept on receiving calls and messages from the hotel and different girls each time, all having something to tell me about deposits, so when i called them back to ask what the issue was, i was then told that my deposits were all going to be refunded as the rooms had now been rebooked for a coach trip and i could no longer take them as the coach trip always took priority. i was obviously flabergasted as this is the reason you pay deposits so that your rooms ARE NOT given to others.
The receptionist then got onto refunding me and as i checked with the bank i found that she had only refunded me a small amount and still owed another £75. I then had to call her to find out what was happening only to be told that she had done it at 6 that morning and she would send me the receipt. it is now 3 days later and i still have not received this bank transfer????

Whilst speaking to all the staff that i have done i also have to say that they need to start writing peoples names down correctly, i was called many different names other than my own and have now found that the receipts that had been sent to my guests have the wrong names printed on them too.

This is absolutely disgusting and i will be taking this matter further. Not only do i now need to find another hotel for me and my wedding guests, i am also now carrying on complaining about something i really do not have the time for.

Do not waste your time with this hotel, they have no respect for customers at all!!!!!!!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
7  Thank Carrie W
Reviewed 25 April 2014

my wife and I booked the Chilton for a wedding celebration, for our daughter and son- in- law on the 19th april, they were married on Christmas eve last year. We would like to thank and congratulate Elizabeth and all her staff for making it a fantastic day. All of our party were very impressed with the meal and the very good service, it will be a day we will remember for a long time.

Thank you again to everyone at the Chilton.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank bill h
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fencehouses
Lumley Castle Hotel
#4 of 6 in Washington
Ramside Hall Hotel, Golf & Spa
The Honest Lawyer Hotel
Durham Marriott Hotel Royal County

Been to Chilton Country Pub and Hotel? Share your experiences!