“Rooms are very noisy.”

Chilton Country Pub and Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Fencehouses
Reviewed 15 June 2014

My wife and I wanted to spend a few days in the North East chilling out following my heart attack in March and so we revisited the Chilton Country Pub and Hotel. The first time was great even though they had a wedding the night we stayed but the service was great and so was the room. This time we booked in for three days in an Executive room. The first night was noisy but just about OK but the second night was horrific with stamping and shouting from the room above from 3 am til dawn. The service in the restaurant on the second night was also poor.We decided not to stay the third night and my wife complained. In fairness the staff were great and only charged us for one night. However the damage was already done!

Room Tip: Make sure you get a room on the first floor!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Chris T

Reviewed 14 June 2014

Ideal hotel for exploring Durham. My friend & I stayed at the hotel as we were going to the cricket ground to see a live. Concert.
On arrival the staff couldn't be more friendly, welcoming & cheerful , despite the horrendous weather!
Our room was a twin on the ground floor that was very clean, reasonably comfortable with TV & tea/coffee facilities . The meal in the restaurant was lovely & served by staff with great customer service.
There was a private event on but didn't impact on our sleep.

We would use this hotel if we find ourselves in the area.
Great staff & nothing was too much trouble for guests, not just us.

Room Tip: Only saw our room so it wouldn't be fair to comment
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Denise B
Reviewed 13 June 2014

We stayed at hotel as part of a groupon deal on arrival staff were lovely and friendly,going up to our room the dark decor and chipped paint on all doors didn't give us much hope,our room was spotlessly clean but the bed was as comfy as sleeping on the floor,we pre booked a table for an evening meal choosing a nice table for two but on arrival the table had been previously used and not cleared propley and pre set so we had to remove dirty glasses and ask for clean cutlery etc,we opted for the steak night which was two steaks and a bottle of wine for £22.95 got to say the food was gorgeous totally worth it the lady who served us was very friendly I think her name was Fiona she was very helpful indeed but noticeably rushed with being the only person taking orders and serving, all in all food fab the rest of night fab chilling in bar.
I would never recommend staying in room 17 it's upstairs and last room on the stair case as a lot of contractors seem to stay at hotel from 5am onwards was constant banging of doors the stairs are so creaky you felt like people were walking threw your room never come away from a nights stay away feeling so tired and wanting to be home.so all in all staff so lovely food fab,rooms very basic but clean but hotel decor very tired and needs repainting and too noisy for a relaxing stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a room down stairs(we were told room 8 nice)
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Lisa S
Reviewed 11 June 2014

This is an ideal hotel for exploring both city and countryside. Although it has a rural location it is not far from a park and ride which gives direct access to Durham town centre - well worth a visit. The hotel is cosy and comfortable with cheery helpful staff. Breakfast was excellent with a buffet table for cereals and juices and also waitress service for cooked food. We were in Room 9, a large ground floor room with window to the front. The bar had a friendly buzz in the evening with a number of locals in for a drink. This was our second stay and we would be happy to come back for a third time

Room Tip: Room 9 is an executive room on the ground floor with a window to the front. It has loads of room and...
Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank claremonts
Reviewed 5 June 2014

Was staying here on business and had a great room . This hotel is spotlessly clean. Warm welcoming staff with great food and nothing is to much trouble . The menu offers great choices at very good prices good home fresh cooked food. It is easy to reach once you find your way and close to Durham , Sunderland , and A1 . Just feel that I have again got to mention the great smiling cheerful staff from morning to night . Yes the hotel has got some tired chipped paint but overall it is very cosy and really worth a stay , better than the Travel lodges and premier inns for value .
Hope to be staying here on a regular basis very happy to recommend really enjoyed my stay.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank chinchalk
Reviewed 14 May 2014

It's good to see independent hotels really trying hard to compete with the big boys, and certainly the Chilton does very well in this respect. Firstly, be under no allusions, this is a budget hotel so don't expect the Ritz. It's used by a lot of contractors as a good value, low cost reliable, clean place to stay. For me, I was doing a couple of days work in the Sunderland area, so the Chilton was reasonable travelling distance and, for £40 room only from Laterooms appeared to fit the bill.

The hotel is easy to find with a satnav. The area is quite rural and the view from my room was pleasant, with horses in the field and a couple of sparrowhawks scaring off the competition. The fact that there are no major roads around meant I could sleep with the window open without any traffic noise, which can be a problem in a town. Also, there is something quite soothing about being woken to birdsong in the morning.

The rooms are on either the ground or first floor. If you have mobility problems, be aware that the stairs are a little steep so it might be a good idea to request the ground floor on booking. The rooms are basic, but all are en suite and clean. Beds have mattress protectors on (After Alex Polizzi, I always check!!) and are firm. Sleep quality is good. There is plenty of hanging space in the wardrobe, although a bucket chair tended to get in the way of the wardrobe. In my room there was a standard sized washbasin in the room and also a small washbasin in the en-suite. The Mira 88 shower is reasonable, providing medium pressure water. My shower screen had come off its runners but still did the job. Mini bottles of shower gel and shampoo are provided. There is a wall mounted TV which accesses freeview channels and a good desk area which I used to catch up with work in the evening. Wi-Fi is free and reasonable speed. I was able to stream a movie with minimal buffering time needed. Good sized mirrors are in the room, although none are full-length which would upset my wife, but since I was alone, it didn't bother me.

The staff are very friendly and helpful, from check-in to bar staff. My rate was a special one where I had to order a 2 course meal in the evening and did not include breakfast. Meals in the bar are fairly inexpensive and there is a good range on offer. Tuesday night was burger night, and this was one of those burgers where it is a challenge to pick it up and eat it in the traditional sense without it exploding over your face, but I was happy for this to happen. A starter of chicken tikka bites was pleasant. On the next evening, I had a generous plate of nachos followed by a reasonable chicken kebab on rice, oddly served with a baked potato and roasted vegetables.

Breakfast in the morning was adequate and came in at £7.50. The whole range is on offer, from bacon sandwiches to full English. The continental selection is very limited though. I went for a couple of poached eggs on toast, which were nicely cooked. Eggs were free range and had a distinctive orange rather than yellow yolk.

Would I visit again. Yes, without a doubt. The good service, tranquil surroundings and decent clean room made it good value for money.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank RobbyJBridlington
Reviewed 12 May 2014

Although the location of the hotel is a little off the beaten track which can have its advantages, but only about 10 mins from Junction 62 of A1(M) anyway. The staff make you welcome from the outset and give excellent customer service too. The food at the Chilton whether it is the breakfast or the evening meal selection is first class and excellent value too - no need to find somewhere else if you are not so inclined. The hotel does in part, needs to be brightened up a little but I'm sure that will happen on its next makeover. Would we stay again, yes without any problem what so ever.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Doug B
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fencehouses
Highfield Hotel
#1 of 1 in Seaham
Slaley Hall
Slaley Hall
#1 of 1 in Slaley

Been to Chilton Country Pub and Hotel? Share your experiences!