“A good night out”

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

A very pleasant evening out and good food. The pizzas could were too crisp around the edges and slightly soggy in the middle, but the rest could not be faulted.

1  Thank Michael W

Reviewed 25 July 2014 via mobile

Yesterday's experience was truly the best I have seen Luciano's.
I arrived with my friends to a restaurant with another several other tables excluding ourselves.
The atmosphere was excellent upon arrival and the tables that were already situated created a lively and friendly atmosphere.
The music was rather strange to say it was and italian restaurant however, the different genres did seem to contradict themselves at times.
I had the lobster ravioli and it was spectacular,it was cooked very well and for the price is say it was good for value. My friends children had a margarita pizza and spaghetti pollpette, they loved the taste and the dishes were of a excellent standard. My friend had the lasagne and she loves the generous portion sizes and the meaty substance inside, we did make compliments to the chef as we could see she was rather stressed due to the amount that was required from other tables at the time, but our dishes were brilliant taking that into consideration also.
We were greeted by a young girl and brought to the table promptly upon arrival, she was very welcoming and brough warmth to the restaurant aswell as the other waitress who was clearly the manager...
The service was very quick to say the restaurant was very busy, and even though the staff were very stressed they didn't show it whilst serving any of the tables (from what we could see).
When finishing the dishes the waitress came over to ask if everything was okay, we explained that we were delighted with the food and service, she asked our table if we wanted any desserts or coffees and I tried the lemon meringue pie, which was a delight to my taste buds to say the least, my friends' children had some vanilla ice cream and my friend also had a portion of the fresh fruit flan, we were more than happy with the value for the portion sizes and the quality of the food throughout the night was nothing less than exceptional.
Once leaving we were dismissed with a friendly goodbye from two of the waitresses.
I would recommend to anyone looking for an authentic Italian restaurant to pay a visit to Luciano's as it is the best I have seen it in a long time

1  Thank Restaurantcritic2014
Reviewed 24 July 2014

My husband and I visited for an early evening meal.
The waitress, whilst efficient, was perfunctory and lacked warmth and we felt almost an inconvenience rather than welcome customers. There was a distinct lack of congeniality in the restaurant, perhaps most noticeable when the waitress told the chef she had another couple of starters for her, only to be told very loudly by the chef, that she had no idea what it was like in there- it should be mentioned here that there were two tables seated in the restaurant at this time- one of which was ours!

We did hear the waitress settling up a bill at another table for £18.60 and asking the seated guests if they would like her to round it up to £20.00!!!! We couldn't make out their reply.

We went straight to the main course. Mine a spaghetti bolognese, my husband's was a lasagne. One would think these would be two dishes any italian restaurant would be able to get right, especially at nearly £10.00 for the lasagne.

My spaghetti came as one amorphous mass rather than pasta served with sauce on top- this really did seem like it had been previously cooked and then reheated together in a pot. It had very little seasoning and needed half a salt cellar's worth of salt to taste of anything. My husband's lasagne was like none we had ever seen before. A square solid piece of pasta with at least nine layers of pasta and barely any meat or bechamel sauce at all. Hubby left a good piece of this and waitress came to ask if we had enjoyed our meal- in a voice which clearly was not intended to invite any criticism!!!
Husband showed the pasta and said perhaps she would like to hazard a guess as to what was wrong. 'No meat in the lasagne!' she said..Indeed...
Waitress knocked the price off the bill- a very expensive £9.95 and went into the kitchen to tell the chef- 'we need to have a word with Laura!!!'
After this profuse apologies and warm and attentive service to make good????? Not a bit of it.
No one came to offer us coffee or the dessert menu. Husband asked for the bill ... no one came for the card and so husband went to pay at the till. No goodbyes, no do come agains and absolutely no likelihood that we will ever return.

2  Thank hesslecouple
Reviewed 20 July 2014

Due to mainly personal reasons, I have not been able to visit Lucianos for some considerable time, during which there have been personnel changes, if not a change of ownership.

Having some friends visit us and staying over, we thought that it would be nice to take them out somewhere quite local, and opted for Lucianos (as I love Italian food). It was a fairly early booking at about 7.00pm but is was surprisingly quiet and perhaps lacking some atmosphere that being busy brings to a place, rather that than some very noisy/loud singer/musician, who only stops people from having decent conversations whilst eating (this happened on my last visit ages ago).

As we had not seen these people for a while, we definitely preferred the quiet. The wine of our choice was not in stock, but the replacement (Pinot Grigio) was nicer than expected so did not disappoint. We skipped starters and went straight for the main course. I had my usual calzone, which, as ever was delicious. My wife had a chicken dish which she enjoyed, but our two guests had mussels, one served in a bed of pasta and the other on a risotto. I have to say that these two dishes looked outstanding and both guests tucked into this veritable mountain of mussels topped with giant prawns. Both said that it was the most incredible meal that they can remember, and ate every last morsel. The evening was finished off with choosing the deserts from the wonderful array on display in the cool cabinet. We all had something different and argued about whose was the best. In reality, they were all superb and each was the best in its own right. The quality of the food outweighed any lack of atmosphere, which really, we hardly noticed as we were making our own atmosphere.

I am looking forward to re-visiting again.

1  Thank John B
Reviewed 12 July 2014 via mobile

We regularly visit here for just coffee or a nice meal. The mains can be a bit pricey but there are always tasty specials and the Sunday menu is great value. Omg the puddings are to die for

1  Thank fufu14