“A really lovely one night stay”

Rowley Manor Country House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Little Weighton
Reviewed 27 May 2014

We stayed on a Wednesday night using a groupon voucher and were very happy with everything. The room was lovely and spacious (we had hot water). We got our glass of bubbly in the bar while studying the menu. The food was excellent and the staff courteous and friendly. Breakfast was very nice although more variety of cereals and fruit would be appreciated. All in all an extremely pleasant experience.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mark O
Write a ReviewReviews (1,043)

Reviewed 25 May 2014

We had afternoon tea for 4 people booked we did not get offered a choice of teas as stated nor did we get clotted cream it was a pot of what seemed like squirty cream from a can the French pastry was cut so thin a chocolate slice not that nice sandwiches the cold pork very fatty & the rest were not any better just lacked imagination slightly dry bread & a slight smear of butter the scones themselves were nice just a let down with the cream Also there was a very strange smell I know it's an old building but they don't all smell of fust & yes it was a sunny day but people still were eating & also a lot of blue bottles in the room to top off the experience the servers left everyone in the dinning room & we had to wait until we saw some one to ask for more tea ( only 1 pot for 4 people so it drained down quickly a bit more water over the tea bags in the pot yes I did say tea bags NOT loose tea as you would expect ) So I would not recommend this to anyone we tried to speak to the hotel no interest also no reply to an e mail 2 weeks ago so customer service isn't high on there priorities a disgruntled visitor this could be such a good experience but wasn't

• Stayed: May 2014
6  Thank Tony123123
Reviewed 25 May 2014

I recently went for a mid week evening meal in a party of 20. The bar was very warm and welcoming but almost immediately as we where parousing the menu a member of our party enquired to a passing waiter about vegetarian dishes and was very rudely delt with.
The service was very very slow and quite a few people were very disappointed with the starter especially the prawn dish. I did not order a starter and waited a full hour for my main course to arrive, when it did arrive it was the size of a starter and not very filling at all.
I ordered a lemon meringue for my desert which never appeared, when speaking to the same waiter who was rude before I was told that three meringus 's had been ordered and three had come out indicating that there was no more left. He offered me a menu to choose a different desert, as I didn't fancy any of the other deserts and polietley asked if I could have a coffee instead of a pudding. To which he replied "You can have coffee if you pay for it" after this the waitress turned up with the pudding which made him look foolish as he had lead me to believe there were none left.
Most of our group were disappointed with the evening with both the size of portions and the service.
This was a groupon deal and we were made to feel like second class citizens. There is a lot better value out there.

Would I come here again? NO!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Mary W
Reviewed 22 May 2014

We didn't stay at this hotel so I can't comment on the accommodation. We went to the restaurant for Sunday lunch as part of a Groupon deal. We enjoyed the country house ambience of the place. I noticed that all the lady diners had dressed up for the occasion, which was lovely to see; people don't always bother to dress up when eating out these days.

Our table in the restaurant was by the window so it was light and airy. We noticed another part of the restaurant which looked a lot darker, perhaps better suited to an intimate evening meal.

The service was very friendly and attentive. I would give the food 7 out of 10. Decent enough but there was no wow factor. Three of us had prawn cocktail which was served on a slightly stale white bread roll. I much prefer a slice of soft brown bread and butter with my prawn cocktail. My husband had pate which was of a very stiff consistency in the ramekin dish, served with home made melba toast, as is usual with pate there really wasn't sufficient toast to go with it. For the main course three of us had roast beef and Yorkshire pudding, the roast beef was generously cut with a flavoursome gravy. My husband had pork in leek sauce, I had a taste and it was rich and creamy. Though he declared it was only lukewarm. The main courses were accompanied by side dishes of vegetables; carrots, new potatoes and parsnips. We all commented that a green vegetable would have balanced the colour on the plates.

All was washed down with a bottle of Pinot Grigio, very drinkable. The wine list is quite restrictive but there was enough choice for what we wanted. We declined desserts and coffee as we were quite full. A nice end to the meal was a chocolate mint each when the bill came, a traditional touch that many restaurants overlook.

Would we go again? Yes as part of an offer, but I think they should up their game on the food to warrant paying full price.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank mkjan13
Reviewed 21 May 2014

My wife and I were bought a night at this hotel as birthday treat. As keen cyclists, we had decided to take along our bikes as we had done on many other outings.
The bikes were left over night secured to the roof of my car on a lockable rack outside the main entrance. We thought the bikes would be safe there as the hotel is situated down a track with a CCTV camera visible......
how wrong could we be, first thing next morning i went out for a ride only to find both bikes stolen along with damage to the roof of my car.

After reporting the theft to the police, i spoke to the Night Porter at reception who explained that there had been several thefts from vehicles previously . I enquired about the CCTV and was shown the monitor showing the camera was only recording video of the STAFF CAR PARK AT THE SIDE OF THE HOTEL ! and the one looking at the guests cars was out of order .

As we checked out of the hotel the receptionist explained that the owner/manager who was away that day would call us the following day....... we have never received that call and we are still waiting 2 months later.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Dave F
Reviewed 20 May 2014

We have stayed at this hotel on few occasions now and although I do agree with the comments regarding the much needed TLC of the hotel decor, bedrooms and facilities.. We have always found the quality of the welcome and customer service being second to none. In particular, the rather eccentric country gent with the polka dot cravat who have looked after us on every numerous occasions. He has a brilliant personality and he's knowledge of food and wine (although it's limited' has definitely 'wowed us'. We have recommended our friends and family to join the experience. We look forward to seeing mr polka dot cravat soon again to have our usual banter and guinness crisps!

Room Tip: Request for room 203 on the first floor!
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 May 2014 via mobile

We stayed here with our sister and brother in law. We booked through travelzoo and tried to get rooms at the beginning of may. However i was informed that only one four poster room was available so we booked for the 15th. On arrival we were bluntly told only one room was a four poster room. I went through the above and he acted like he was deaf with no response or an apology. Just said whose having which room then??? We arent people that like to complain. So we decided to make the best of it. It turned out the room with the view and no four poster was the best room. The other was dated but acceptable but no hot water. We mentioned on the way to dinner we had no hot water to the same guy that was on reception. He looked very much like he knew we had no hot water and wouldn't be getting any. His parting shot was ill check the boiler. Hence to say we had no hot water in the morning either! Other than that the place was charming and could be a real gem with a little more effort. No welcome packs in bedrooms. We spoke to a few couples who couldnt wait to leave and complaints were badly being dealt with in the morning. I overhead staff telling a lady you get what you pay for when you have a coupon??? Maybe thats why i couldnt have hot water? Not a good statement to be making. We got evening dinner (no glass of bubbly) didn't even dare ask for it and breakfast. Both of which were excellent. Served by happy to see you pleasant staff. Drinks in the bar after were slightly higher than average. The bill for 4 was £120 but we did order a bottle of wine with dinner. Overall we enjoyed the break. It was £79 for the night and it served its purpose. Would we go back? No. I think theres better out there.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Best Western Willerby Manor Hotel
Best Western Lairgate Hotel
3 mi away
Mercure Hull Grange Park Hotel

Been to Rowley Manor Country House Hotel? Share your experiences!