“Fantastic” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of VISIT THE BUNKER - RAF Holmpton

VISIT THE BUNKER - RAF Holmpton
More attraction details
Owner description: 2017 Season - 8th April to 3rd September. Your chance to visit this massive underground bunker a home to RAF defence for over 60 years. Self explore format with our team on hand to answer questions and provide live demonstrations.
Nottingham, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Fantastic”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2013

We were lucky enough to be on one of the tours around this fantastic facility. The bunker itself, is a piece of wonderful history covering such a dark time in which this country found itself. It is beautifully kept and maintained. The tour itself was second to none and extremely informative. The guide, James was an excellent host and it was an honour to be able to experience what it was like in a bunker. The tour was around an hour and forty-five minutes long, yet seemed only half that time. I would certainly recommend Raf Holmpton to anyboby who is interested in military history.

Visited July 2013
PR Office F, Public Relations Manager at VISIT THE BUNKER - RAF Holmpton, responded to this review, 28 July 2013
Many thanks for taking the time to review us after you visit, it is always appreciated to hear from our guests.

Scarborough, United Kingdom
“Let down by the facilities”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2013

It may seem churlish to say that I would only rate this tour as a 4 out of 10 especially when I tell you that it represents a fantastic piece of military, political and social history that everyone should try to see
BUT
cramming 53 people onto our visit was rushed, uncomfortable and allowed for no rapport with James. Many of our senior party were crammed into impossible spaces where neither comfort nor clear views were possible.
Worst of all was the disgrace of the toilets. I NEED a disability loo, but I can get by with space, clean floor, soap and hot running water. At the very least I expect the cubicle to have a door! I had to ask everyone to leave the entire toilet while I attended to my needs in acute embarrassment. Very, very poor and prevents Holmpton from being a serious tourist attraction.

Visited July 2013
James F, Manager at VISIT THE BUNKER - RAF Holmpton, responded to this review, 26 July 2013
Our tour capacity is 50 people and there were 53 on this tour which lasted the usual 1hr 45mins. This guest was part of a coach party that came in on discounted tickets. The tour organiser was told in advance that we could be very busy during the peak season and they were offered the alternative of a private visit. Our reception area wc's are cleaned before and after every tour, they measure 10ft sq and they are individually lockable rooms. There are additional wc's available during the tour. On this occasion I was on duty myself and offered to assist this guest and one of the other visitors also offered to help, You can't please everybody and to think that had there been a nuclear war people were advised by Protect & Survive to make do with a bucket lavatory !
Yorks
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 44 helpful votes
“Totally Absorbing - Visit if you are close by”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2013

My family (2 kids, 11 & 6) and I visited this attraction finally after almost 4 years of saying we would! We have a caravan at the nearby Patrington Haven Leisure Park which is coincidentally linked to RSF Holmpton (I won't spoil the surprise!).

I wasn't sure what to expect but the tour consists of about 90 minutes exploring this huge underground Nuclear age bunker. Most of the equipment remains and is in really good condition. It is a fascinating insight into this era of World history and makes you realise the levels of paranoia that existed between the East and West at the height of the Cold War, the massive resources that went into developing a nuclear deterrent and the reality of the threat in the 60s and 70s.

Some people have commented on the films that are shown (injuries from Hiroshima, etc.) but this is valid and helps people understand the grim reality of warfare. It is not a subject that should be swept under the carpet.

The guide was excellent as was the quality of the experience. £20 for a couple of hours of interesting entertainment that the family thoroughly enjoyed was money well spent. Well done RAFHPS!

Visited July 2013
James F, Manager at VISIT THE BUNKER - RAF Holmpton, responded to this review, 22 July 2013
Many thanks for taking the time to review us after you visit. Delighted you enjoyed your tour and very pleased that the kids enjoyed it as well - As you say it is a serious subject and a 50 year part of our national history - We try to do this vast subject credit in 90mins and that's no easy task. There are more developments to come in 2014.
Derbyshire
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Two wonderful years!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2013

I was first posted to Holmpton in August 1965. As a J/T ground radar was based in the radar office on the very lower floor. I moved my wife up in the Nov. we lived for two years @ Elms Haven, Taylor's Lane, Holmpton, and my second daughter was born in Withensea Hospital. We're hoping to visit this summer , can,t wait! Remember it as if yesterday, hated leaving July 1967. Good luck to everybody who,s running the tours...Nigel Rowlands.

1 Thank chesterDerbyshire
James F, Manager at VISIT THE BUNKER - RAF Holmpton, responded to this review, 16 July 2013
We are always delighted to welcome our Veterans especially from the Radar Days as they are sadly getting fewer on the ground these days. Of course the bunker only operated as a Radar Station between 1953 and 1974 and so very little remains here from those days, the Bunker having been re-fitted and used for other purposes by the RAF since then. However for 2013 we have opened up the 'Long Forgotten Heart of the Bunker' not used since 1974 and although the Radar Office when you worked has long since gone, it does feature in our presentations with authentic and very rare picture of it in use, and our main show on the end of the tour will show the
bunker in 'Action' during the 1960's with all of it's Radars working on the surface around 100ft above the room where you worked.
Castleford, England, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Brilliant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2013

Brilliant tour of an underground nuclear bunker, make sure you take a camera to get some photos and enjoy a piece of history. The tour guide was brilliant and the price of the tour was spot on. Nothing I can criticise, well worth the visit.

Visited July 2013
Many thanks for your review of the Bunker Tour - We always appreciate people taking time to let us know their comments and from these we try to make improvements to the tour and visitor experience each year.