The Wolds Retreat Bed and Breakfast
US$112
Priceline
Burythorpe House(Burythorpe)
US$105
Holiday Inn Express York(York)(Great Value!)
US$104
US$138
US$164
US$154
  • Restaurant
No availability for your dates from our partners
Hotels.com
  • Restaurant
All reviewsworld peacetwo nightsmeditationbuddhisttranquil
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 21 March 2012

Stayed in Beach room for two nights with my wife and baby daughter. Staff are very helpfull, both over email before our arrival and during our stay. KP Hall iteself is located about a mile outside the pretty market town of Pocklington, c25 mins drive outside York.
Rooms are very well presented, comfortable and spotless. THe room we had was relatively 'snug' but as a base only for us (visitng family close by) it is fine, even with a cot! Free wi-fi was a nice touch.
Breakfast is served in the main house with gorgeous views over the countryside. On arrival you are presented with a menu for breakfast to pre-order the night before (covering all options). The staff were waiting for us and greated us with fresh coffee while they cooked our breakfasts.
Worth noting the B&B is run by the Buddhist group who own/occupy the main Hall, therefore meals are vegetarian. I am a keen eater, and I didn't miss it at all. The veg sausags were actually very nice! I assume this is why there are also no TV's in the rooms, however with wi-fi problem solved!
In this location for the price I can not believe there is anywhere better to stay!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank EOJS
Reviewed 14 December 2011

An interesting stay, very friendly, lovely clean room although there was no heating on in our room ( the beech room) when arrived so was freezing and cold through the night.Downside was didnt like breakfast , no bacon ans sausages were burnt and didnt get my egg which asked for .

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank Sandrag633
Reviewed 21 August 2011

Stayed one night here during a cycling trip. With one caveat I would rate it highly for quality and value.

It's run by a Buddhist foundation, based in a neo-classical former stately home. Reception, a gift shop, and the breakfast room are in the house, whilst B&B rooms are in a separate block 50 metres away. There is also a super cafe selling tea, coffee and cakes to walkers passing by, and to guests. Being Buddhists there is no meat served on the site, but that's the limit of the foundation's impact on the visitors. There is certainly no attempt to recruit you!

My room was clean, very fully equipped, and quiet. My one complaint, and indeed the only negative aspect of my stay, was that my shower was unusable on account of the thermostat cycling uncontrollably between stone cold and dangerously hot. To compound the issue, I read in the room's "feedback" book that a guest a month earlier had had the same problem. This was actually a safety problem as well as a comfort issue, and I'm surprised that no one had dealt with it. Maybe they don't read the feedback?

Breakfast was fine, despite the lack of bacon, and service was friendly and personal.

I'd recommend this B&B without hesitation, were it not for the uncorrected fault in my shower. My room was "Beech", and I'd suggest checking the shower before accepting this room for the next few weeks.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
7  Thank grey.dave
Reviewed 4 August 2011

If you're looking for a place to stay near York, waste no more time - just book this wonderful place. On the outskirts of York, and set in simply gorgeous and very extensive grounds, this bed and breakfast accommodation is located in an annexe off the main building, a most impressive house. I stayed with my daughter and we each had a single room and shared the bathroom which was for our use only. The double rooms all have their own en-suite bathrooms. The whole place was spotlessly clean and exceptionally comfortable. Everything you needed was provided - good toiletries, local information, etc. Run by a group of Buddhists, the peace and tranquility pervaded everywhere, and I had the best two nights sleep I've had in a long time. All the staff we met were very friendly and courteous. Our vegetarian breakfast was cooked to order and was simply delicious. I couldn't believe you could get such a high standard of accommodation for £30 a night inclusive of breakfast. I highly recommend this wonderful establishment, and I will certainly return.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank JaneDBond
Reviewed 10 July 2011

Me and my husband stayed here for 2 nights as our friends were getting married and holding their reception at the Kilnwick Percy Golf resort oppersite the Wolds...a mere 2 min walk away.

The surroundings are beautiful and serene. The staff were very pleasent and whilst there was no TV in the room which was beautiful and clean we didnt miss it. The breakfast was veggi only but again this was ok.

Would stay again if in the area.

Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple