“Survivor of a bygone age”
Review of Upminster Windmill

Upminster Windmill
Ranked #5 of 16 things to do in Upminster
Upminster, United Kingdom
60 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 195 helpful votes
“Survivor of a bygone age”
Reviewed 24 November 2013

The Upminster windmill was nearly demolished in the 'eighties, thank heaven it still survives. It is a showpiece of a bygone age, of mechanical engineering, ingenuity, and sheer hard work. Many windmills in the U.K. have been flattened, converted into housing, or just neglected, but this one has survived, works, and has an enthusiastic team of guides who show guests around, for the price of a donation, however large or small! One word of warning - the steps up are very narrow, and there are a lot of them! Perhaps also not suitable for small children. It is also open only on certain dates in the year.

Visited September 2013
5 Thank Michael D

Barbados
139 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 163 helpful votes
“Historic trip back in time”
Reviewed 11 October 2013

I've often passed the windmill, a symbol so associated with upminster. Set back in a field opposite upminster park it's easy to miss but well worth a visit. Really big inside - much bigger than I was expecting and shows how the mill used to work. Interesting for kids and adults alike.

Visited August 2013
4 Thank Haribo09
London, United Kingdom
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Surprisingly interesting worth a visit”
Reviewed 7 August 2013

When I was asked to visit the windmill it was fair to say I was a little reluctant. Don’t get me wrong I am a proud Upminster man and the windmill is our town’s recognised emblem. But I didn’t think I would be any further enthralled than a trip to the park. How wrong was I? I took my youngest along and from the off I was enchanted by the individuals that provide their time and effort in to creating a magical tour of our towns heritage and this key landmark. My 9 year has not stopped talking about the views, the mechanics of a windmill and who found the most ‘mice’. I take my hat off to all of the curators whose knowledge of the mill and surrounding area was limitless. Well worth the trip. 10/10.

Visited August 2013
3 Thank andy c
Upminster, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 30 helpful votes
“Informative”
Reviewed 29 July 2013

well worth a visit on it's monthly open date, free guided tours, (no sandals) the friends of the windmill spend a lot of time renovating, and our justly proud of their work. The show visitors around explaining how the windmill works and it's history. FREE of charge!

Visited May 2013
3 Thank David R
London
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“Very special”
Reviewed 23 June 2013 via mobile

This is a delight. When open for visits the team that explain and share their knowledge are a genuine delight. I hope the lottery application is successful to get the old mill grinding flour again. This would make it even more special.

Visited June 2013