“Favourite Local Restaurant.”

Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 4 April 2013

Over the weekend, my boyfriend and I fancied treating ourselves to something nice for dinner after a bit of a hectic day so we took a stroll into Upminster high street and ended up in Masala Grill.

Sadly I didn’t take any photos and they don’t have a website so I can’t share with you how amazing our food looked, but I will tell you that if you’re ever in the area you should stop by!

We feasted upon a tandoori mix grill that included lamb chops, lamb kofte, and various chicken tandoori, a half of a chicken marinated in tandoori sauce, sag paneer, a keema naan, a cheesy naan, chips, salad and rice. There was more then enough to feed an army, let alone just us two! Luckily we were super hungry and enjoyed every mouthful. The flavours were all incredible, and for once I actually enjoyed eating lamb!!

The service was second to none, and the atmosphere was lovely too. It’s great to have a gem of a restaurant so close to home! The staff could not do enough for you, which means we’ve already got our next evening out with friends planned for there!

Reviewed 21 March 2013

I cannot believe how many good reviews there are for this restaurant. I went on Monday night. We were the only people there in which case you would expect it to be good. However it was the worst meal I've had in a very long time. Both had king prawn puri starter. Very small portion of prawn. Must have been 1 prawn into small pieces. Also there was lots of pieces of shell in it. Was very bland, not much spice. Mains portion sizes also small. Had 2 king prawn dishes and once again the prawn portions were small. One dish was a Pathia and it was just sweet with no heat to it. Overall very bland. I have indian at least twice a week and therefore I know what a curry should be like and this place was well off the mark. Also they did not use plate warmers on the table. The dishes were placed directly on the table and became cold quickly. Perhaps the portion sizes were small because I used a discount card "tastecard". Maybe it was bad because it was a Monday night? Perhaps they use a better chef on the busier nights? All I know is that I won't ever go there again. The staff were very friendly though.

5  Thank GeoffEssex_11
Reviewed 4 March 2013

Booked with the Masala Grill a birthday Curry for 7 people on Wednesday evening.
Usual great food – attention to service and thoroughly enjoyable night.
The guys even produced a birthday cake !

Will no doubt visit again soon.

1  Thank Mike J
Reviewed 26 February 2013

I went to Masala Grill on a Thursday night and had a fantastic evening.

The food was SO fresh and tasty and served in the perfect size portion so you felt full but not bloated like some portions that you get from other curry houses. The staff were great, the beer (Kingfisher) was cold and really nice and overall the place was thoroughly enjoyable.

Having been to more or less every Indian in Upminster and Cranham I would say the food here is the freshest and most authentic.

Would definitely recommend..

1  Thank NPalma
Reviewed 1 February 2013

We took a party of 13 last night 31st and i have to say the staff are friendly and the food execellent everybody enjoy there meal. would definately go back.