“Beautiful, clean hotel, great friendly staff!”
Review of Packfords Hotel

Packfords Hotel
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Woodford
Reviewed 10 November 2012

We booked a family room at Packfords for one night and were very pleased with everything. They put us an extra bed in the room to accommodate us all, and the room was really lovely and cosy right at the top. Even with two adults, a teenager, five year old and a baby the room felt spacious and not cramped. Lovely tea and coffee making facilities with proper hot chocolate, and free wifi. The staff couldn't have been lovelier, from a nice welcome and letting us leave our car in the carpark way before check in, to the very attentive and professional young waiter, and a staff member offering to look after our baby so we could eat our breakfast! Breakfast delicious, with lots of lovely toast made with proper bread! Lots of proper butter provided- pet hate to ask for more! Fresh fruit, cereal and juice available and pots of jam, and then a lovely fry up with obvious quality ingredients. Had a great family feel, relaxed and friendly. Lovely garden which us smokers appreciated. Suggestions not criticisms- perhaps somewhere to leave a pushchair as family room right at top, but have a feeling if I had asked they would have certainly accommodated. More children friendly cereals on offer, slightly bigger breakfast (but we are really greedy and eat more than probably your average normal person). Positioning of tv in family room benefited children more than adults! Wonderful beautifully clean smart place to stay and less than half an hour to central London.

• Stayed: November 2012
1  Thank Mezza1983

Reviewed 4 November 2012

Super cozy hotel -- close to the Woodford tube station. Great and really friendly service -- specially from RAY. Thank you SO MUCH! Greeted with many smiles -- very service-oriented. Very quiet and shops in walking distance.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank Tanya M
Reviewed 6 October 2012

We stayed here in October 2012 for a night. The room we were allocated was at the front of the house and it had no double glazing. At 6am i am not sure if it was the traffic that woke us or the people upstairs moving about. I wanted to have a bath but there was no heating in either the bathroom or the bedroom. We did not get the opportunity to let any of the staff know about the shortcomings - i get tired of complaining in Britain. I think if they are bothered about how a customer feels they would provide a feedback form or ask us!

Room Tip: Rooms at the back will presumably have less traffic noise and obviously the top floor won't have...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Chris-from-Holt
Reviewed 1 October 2012

I stayed at this hotel for a wedding and must say that for this purpose it was brilliant. The rooms and gardens are beautiful, the staff were helpful and there was plenty of room to relax in during the course of the day (although the bar was a little expensive - one Pimms & lemonade and a water = £7.70!). The breakfast in the morning was tasty and plentiful with great service. However, although we had a gorgeous bathroom in our room, it didn't have an actual usable shower, just an attachment that like others have said had no water pressure (bit of a conumdrum for the boyfriend who was counting on a nice invigorating shower before attending the wedding!) which we would not expect in a hotel. I can quite see why some people state it should be reclassified as a B&B due to features like this and things like no one being on hand to help with bags. We also had a momentary panic at being told we couldn't check in until 2pm which was the same time as the wedding, but luckily they gave us access as soon as we arrived (10am). I do think some of the curfew comments are a little unfair - everyone is advised that their room key opens the front door, I can sympathise why someone might be grumpy at getting up to let in forgetful guests. In summary I'm not sure I would automatically pick this as somewhere to stay ordinarily, but certainly for weddings how they manage this, it was perfect.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank RedNeice
Reviewed 19 September 2012

I stayed one night, room was small but nice and had everything I needed. I was very well looked after - excellent, personal service that you just don't get in the chain hotels. A great little find that I would recommend

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Ann_the_Coach
Reviewed 31 May 2012

we were given two rooms at the top of the hotel and told to carry our own cases up three flights of stairs as there was no help. very narrow steep (cant be legal) attic stairs at the top and downright dangerous let alone when you’re trying to carry large cases. Stayed here for 4 nights in March with my wife and two kids. The place is clean but the atmosphere is ice cold and the staff barely greet you let alone show you any attention. Despite the existence of a Bar I never saw it operating and the best I could achieve was an ice bucket to my room which didn’t really allow for relaxation unless you sat on the Bed. there is no lounge to sit in and no tv room to relax in, thers no restaurant, so how can it be classed as an Hotel, What are the actual requirements you need to call yourself a Hotel??????
My main beef is that this place calls itself a hotel and it’s not.. It’s a B&B that masquerades as an Hotel in order to facilitate Weddings. If you are having a wedding then I am sure they pull out all the stops however if you are just visiting with Family, then its not good and therefore how can they charge 200 stg for a family of four.. these are west end prices and too be honest it’s not worth half that price. My kids couldn’t even shower in their room because the Bath was squeezed into the eves and you couldn’t stand up in it. The day we were leaving some guy was decorating in the room next door and the walls were paper thin and it sounded like he was in our room. Bad experience and I would never never go back

Room Tip: Dont Book here
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank VincentFlynn
Reviewed 15 May 2012

Second visit here as it's convenient for us when we visit family.

Both rooms booked were nice enough - quite pretty by way of furnishings. Our room had everything you could need and served us well - my only gripe is the ineffective window blinds. I love the sunshine but at 5.30am ? - no thanks !

2nd room had a pretty naff view of the roof of the conservatory and a useless shower. Water pressure was non-existent. It was put up with as we had a dinner reservation and were already un-packed and un-dressed otherwise would have requested to be moved immediately.

Staff were pretty indifferent to us during our stay to be honest;
Went down to the breakfast room and sat there for 15 minutes until someone appeared. We didn't exactly sneak in like quiet mice either. Breakfast was so-so.

Got thuds on the door at 11am. Cleaner was requesting we vacate the rooms as she wanted to attend to them. Check out was 11.30am. Could it not have waited 20 mins ?

Checked out with the chef / front of house lady - not really sure. No "did you enjoy your stay-was everything ok for you?" enquiries - just quite happy to promptly deduct £210 and get on with more important duties maybe.

Summary: Convenient for tube, rooms are pretty, comfy beds, grounds are quite nice - although would have been tricky to get into the garden as we would have had to step over quite a bit of maintenance equipment and extension cables on the floor of the conservatory.

Don't expect a fanfare or red carpet treatment by any means, but a bit of basic customer service would be lovely.

Sorry, but might have to look elsewhere for our next visit. Bit of a let down this time.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Woodford
Best Western Plus Epping Forest
Hallmark Hotel London Chigwell Prince Regent
Travelodge London Chigwell
Travelodge Snaresbrook
Travelodge Snaresbrook
#568 of 1,077 in London
Holiday Inn Express London - Chingford - North Circular
Best Western Greater London Hotel

Been to Packfords Hotel? Share your experiences!