“Last minute decision to eat out”

The White Hart Great Yeldham
Ranked #2 of 50 Restaurants in Halstead
Price range: US$11 - US$32
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We decided last minute that we were going to eat out, so popped down to the White Hart to see of they could squeeze us in. As always, the staff were super accommodating and gave us a table in the restaurant. The food was fabulous, we both opted for steak and the mushroom sauce that came with it was delicious - am going to be having that again! Cannot fault the food or service, our waiter was a lovely, polite and attentive young man.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Checked website; food till 8
Got there at 7 and barmaid thought they had finished but then checked and said it was OK
Wish she had not
When the food came we were warned the plates were very hot. They were not. My lamb was very good but only luke warm as was everything else
Potatoes were over cooked; incredibly small portion of vegetables were undercooked and cold
Yorkshire was good but again cold. I had to ask for mint sauce and horseradish and received a tiny pot of each
My partner had beef which was so over cooked She is not keen on root veg so I ordered cauliflower cheese and we received a small Luke warm dish which cost £3.50 30% of the cost of a full meal
When asked at the end whether everything was OK I said no but just got a “Sorry” and the bill
Dreadful experience in a place that used to be so good

Reviewed 12 June 2018

I'm afraid I am unable to review the "restaurant" itself as it was closed for the two nights we had booked to stay in the hotel - apparently it is closed from 5pm Sunday until Wednesday - but I was not informed of this length of closure when booking. I did know that the restaurant would not be open for dinner on the Sunday evening as I appreciate that Sunday lunch is the main event and staff need time off. So we were happy to eat in the bar on our first evening. There were roast dinner options on the evening bar menu so we both ordered a starter followed by roast lamb. The starter was great - restaurant quality (see image) but it was downhill from there. The roast lamb, yorkshire pudding (comes with all meats which is fine by me) & gravy were good. The roast potatoes had obviously been left over from lunch and the side of roast parsnips which we ordered as an extra were so chewy as to be almost inedible - they too had been sitting around for a long time. Maybe I'm wrong to expect the vegetables to be cooked more recently but it did make the meal less enjoyable than we had hoped for. Service was flaky. The dining room was laid up but as the kitchen was "closed" but still serving ?? we were unable to even sit in the dining room despite being hotel guests. Never mind we though, we could have our breakfast in there the next morning. But no - breakfast was in the bar - literally a few cereals laid out across the bar in front of the pumps, with some jugs of juices and milk. Coffee was excellent (Illy) and refilled. I ordered the potato rosti with other items from the "specials" menu. When that arrived I am convinced it was the remains of the roast potatoes from the day before, processed and formed into a flat potato cake - no sign of any freshly grated separated potato - and soaked through in grease. The other items were acceptable. Toast was served alongside on the main plates of food rather than in a rack or on a clean plate. We both ordered yogurt with the White Hart honey but that took so long to come that we cancelled the order and left. There were only one other couple dining with us during service - which was again flaky. As mentioned we were seated in the bar - and at a very sticky pub table. So having been out for the day and come back to our room oh which had not been serviced (see separate review of the hotel on TA) we sat in the garden again for a drink and went in to dinner. No - we couldn't sit in the restaurant we were told. The specials were being written up on the board in the bar and were the same as the previous evening so we decided to eat elsewhere (and had an amazingly good freshly cooked dinner at The Bell Inn in nearby Castle Hedingham). Breakfast was served the following morning in the restaurant which is as expected a much nicer place to eat as a guest. Again service was flaky but the yogurt, coffee and toast were good. I really expected more from the White Hart - both hotel and restaurant -and we left feeling very disappointed. We obviously picked the wrong days of the week to stay here.

Reviewed 1 June 2018

We ate at The White Hart on the first bank holiday in May, and it was sunny and hot !
We both ordered dressed crab for our lunch, however shortly after ordering the chef came out and said he only had one crab left and would we be happy with a seafood platter.
The seafood platter was excellent, half the dressed crab, smoked salmon and prawns in a Marie Rose sauce - all fresh and tasting as it should.
Lovely garden to sit in and enjoy the English Summer.

Reviewed 21 May 2018

Made a late booking as was passing by the area.The building dates back to 1505 apparently and the ancient timber architecture is really beautiful.The restaurant and bar have all the hallmarks of a typical medieval English building and the owners have done really well to maintain the character and feeling of this ancient former coaching inn. The adjoining gardens are lovely and expansive.Our meals were delicious and great value for money with an exceptional wine list. The staff were professional,friendly and polite.So all in all hard to fault in any way but easy to recommend as a great place to visit.