“COULDN'T HAVE WISHED FOR A BETTER VENUE FOR OUR WEDDING”
Review of The Rochford Hotel

The Rochford Hotel
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Rochford
Reviewed 22 July 2010

Really couldn,t have choosen a better venue for our wedding. The staff were extremely proffesional and couldn't fault the bridal suite. Lots of our guests stayed at the hotel and all were impressed by the standard and cleanliness of their rooms, and with the hotel in general. All of our guests commented on how fantastic the food served for our wedding breakfast was and how helpful the staff were. They really worked hard to make our day memorable and would recommend this as a wedding venue to anyone.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 13 July 2010

Thank Goodness I was only staying one night. Don't know where to begin. Firstly cost £100 for b & b. The room was ok but dated. No wardrobe just a rail to hang clothes on. No hairdryer in room although on the room list there was supposed to be one. The tea and coffee in the room was FIVE months out of date We were staying on the ground floor. The bathroom was ok but it would have been nice to have had hot water for shower etc. When I mentioned this to person at reception he looked at me as if I had two heads. The breakfast was something else. It was supposed to start at 8.30 a.m. I got there at 8.40 a.m. and nothing was ready except the cereal. No tea or coffee no rolls nothing. I asked for toast, 15 minutes later I was still waiting. This place seems to be run by a group of young inexperienced people, certainly no hotel training and I think hospitality seems to be an alien word to them. Unfortunately some of them do not seem to understand the difference between friendliness and over familiarity. When the rest of the guests arrived for breakfast it was soemthing to behold. I was jsut waiting for Manuel from Fawlty Towers to come in. Would I stay in this hotel again certainly not, would I recommend it no way. It can only be likened to a Road House and that is been kind.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank KildareTony
Reviewed 20 April 2010

To all at Maison Renouf: . Maison has a modern feel to the hotel and the wedding pavillion with the church pew's give it a romantic touch. The bar/lounge reception rooms were a perfect size for our family and guest's to enjoy the day and evening receptions. Although it was february and cold the grounds were kept clean and clear so as to have photographs.The room's were child friendly, warm and also clean. I would however recommend for the bridal suite a much bigger mirror for the dressing area. Having said that we have no commplaints overall. We loved getting married in your hotel and can't thank you enough. The wedding team are friendly and will listern to your wishes. We were lucky to have jane and Gareth look after us so well, So thank you for a wonderful experiance . Mr & Mrs Morrish

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 March 2010

Was booked for four nights, checked out after two. Very overpriced. Rooms not 'boutique' at all. worn carpets and faded curtains. Very dated bathroom with pathetic shower. No Restaurant, wasn't told this when booking. One member of staff on-site during evening and nights. Only a poor quality continental breakfast provided, late both mornings, served by surly, rude young man.
Cannot believe the good reveiws here, they must be family or friends as there is no way they are up to date or genuine.
The pictures on their site ARE NOT the hotel.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 24 February 2010

As a general hotel it wasn't bad - my room was a good size, clean etc. The issue is that the hotel is being sold as a boutique hotel and having stayed at a Malmaison there is a marked difference.

The bathrooms are nice enough but the suit is a 1970's green colour and shower was pretty weak. I know some guests in our party didn't have hot water, shower didn't work etc. We were in an executive room and had tea and coffee in our room - the unlucky people staying upstairs had none as the machine in the hall was out of order.

For the reduced rate we paid it was fine but wouldn't have been impressed if we'd have had to pay the advertised rate, nor if I was expecting a true boutique hotel standard.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 January 2010

I had the "experience" of staying here for two nights when down in Southend on business. I had fallen into the trap of believing the previous positive reviews (that I suspect have been left by the hotelier or acquaintances).

My room overlooked the garden and was certainly not luxurious, the bathroom a study in peach and gold effect baroque mirror frames. The shower curtainw as stained, the taps dirty and the tiles had clearly not been cleaned for some time.

The larder is a mix of dodgy old cup cakes and biscuits, the coffee is passable at best.

I made the mistake of eating in the restuarant on the first night. I'm not sure who was more surprised, me by the shoddy menu or the cook / receptionist / bar man / waiter! That guy sure was busy,

For £100+ I expect a clean room, decent service, a smile from the receptionist and occasionally a thank you. None of these were present at Maison Renouf.

Breakfast is bland coffee with as many dodgy pastries as you care to force down.

In addition to all of this, there is the matter that Maison Renouf are clearly trying to rip off the MalMaison trademark ( a matter that I believe MalMaison are aware of and are trying to resolve).

If you want my advice, unless you like seventies bathrooms, poor service and have money to burn you will steer clear of Maison Renouf!

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 8 January 2010

I was looking forward to staying here based on (former) reputation when I lived locally 20 years ago, and the restaurant was the the best. I found it way too expensive at about £100 per night.. for what? The reception desk is unmanned overnight, so I slept in the lounge overnight when I accidentally locked myself out (not from my room, which I left open, but an intermediate fire door closed). There was no answer on the emergency help number overnight. After I left an angry note at reception complaining, an irate woman ignored my Do Not Disturb sign to deliver a note saying they had charged my credit card without permission, in case I refused to pay as I had said on the note! Breakfast in the room took 1 hour first day (apparently the chef had not turned up and a reception guy had cooked it..he did a good job!) and 2 hours second day (after calls to remind them). The room was not cleaned on 2 days when I had left Room Service sign out..used breakfast trays were left in the room, and were still there when I returned at night. The shower was weak and hose holder falling off, the toilet was faulty, the decor was 1970 avacado! No movies on the TV, no tissues in the room. Raid the Larder was stodgy cakes..nothing fresh..although the coffee was good; this was typical, in that it was convenient for the hotel, not the guests! Not answering the emergency number overnight, as well as the unattended reception, would raise serious issues of health and safety, let alone the situation in case of fire or flood! If I couldn't get back to my room, how would the fire brigade get access?..well I suppose they'd chop the door down, but even so. My room looked over a public car park and people could look right in, so I had to keep the curtains drawn..I imagine it must be hot in summer, I saw no signs of air conditioning. Local taxi driver said the hotel was under new management after the retirement of the famous Renoufs..he said he knew things were different as soon as the flower pots were removed from the entrance; where it used to be immaculate, it was just neglected now. A fishbowl on the reception desk doth not a boutique hotel make!

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rochford
Park Inn by Radisson Palace Southend-on-Sea
Park Inn by Radisson Palace Sout...
#12 of 20 in Southend-on-Sea
#2 of 20 in Southend-on-Sea
Skylark Hotel
Skylark Hotel
#3 of 3 in Rochford

Been to The Rochford Hotel? Share your experiences!