The Cherry Tree
Skylark Hotel(Rochford)
US$92
Travelocity
The Rochford Hotel(Rochford)(Great Value!)
US$108
Holiday Inn Southend(Southend-on-Sea)
US$115
US$93
HolidayInn.com
  • Restaurant
Premier Inn Southend Airport Hotel(Southend-on-Sea)(Great Value!)
US$84
The Welbeck Hotel(Westcliff-on-Sea)
TripAdvisor
Southend Guest House(Westcliff-on-Sea)
TripAdvisor
All reviewssunday roastliverenglish pubbed was very comfortablesouthend airportcharlieniggle
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 29 July 2011

We picked the Cherry Tree Inn almost with a pin, since there are very few places to stay within striking distance of Shoeburyness – where, for reasons that would take too much explaining, we found ourselves obliged to spend a night. The Cherry Tree is situated just outside the village of Srambridge, and has a nice quiet rural location, despite being so close to Southend.

My business partner and I asked for a twin room, and the landlady said on the phone she would make one up for us specially (they didn’t actually advertise twin rooms as such). We arrived just after 8pm on a Sunday, and although the kitchen shut at eight, the landlady opened it up again so that we could enjoy a hot meal – which, contrary to the previous review, was served piping hot and fresh and was very tasty. The barman was very helpful and friendly, and we felt welcome indeed.

The main bar in the Cherry Tree is quite old – dating from the 18th Century I would guess – and has numerous quirky beams and odd nooks and corners – quite characterful, so it’s not surprising there might be the odd inconveniently placed pillar (bagpuss02!). It’s nice and quiet, without blaring musak all over the place, and there were just a few locals in the bar having a quiet drink – a very pleasant atmosphere.

Our room was fine – in chalet-style annexe at the back of the inn, clean and of a reasonable size. The en-suite bathroom was a bit odd – more like an expanded disabled toilet with a shower in the corner protected only by a rather flimsy curtain, so the water went everywhere. Maybe it’s supposed to be a ‘wet room’ – well, it certainly was after two showers!

The one thing that did rather spoil the overall experience was the size of the beds. I don’t think I have ever slept in a narrower one – I bet they have wider beds in Wormwood Scrubs! They were literally only two feet wide, and my colleague and I spent most of the night waking up for fear we were going to fall out of them. If I’d known that, I might have asked for a room each, and hang the extra expense.

So, not exactly the most comfortable night’s sleep. But breakfast was good and freshly cooked for us, even at the rather red-eye hour of seven in the morning: excellent sausages, bacon, eggs,toast and all the rest. The landlady was sweet and obliging, and one couldn’t fault the welcome or the service.

Overall, not at all a bad choice, given the limited options in the area; but we’d recommend two single rooms rather than a twin!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Nigel-Gordon-Walker
Reviewed 15 April 2011

Thinking we would have a cosy lunch together we went to the Cherry Tree as had been there before. The menu did not really jump out at us, but went with the 2 course £12.95 special. We both chose the fisherman's pie and were equally disappointed, although the plates were hot the food definately was not, nor was the quality good, too much mash potato and not enough fish - and it arrived in 6 minutes flat. The desserts were much better, but overall we feel we can eat better for less, elsewhere in the area

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank keith47
Reviewed 10 April 2011

I usually stay in brand name hotels, but this was nearest to my location for work and I was so impressed with it. The rooms are in a next door block to the pub, so very quiet. They are beautifully and stylishly decorated, with fabulous toiletries, and good tea and coffee making facilities. It had a good desk too which is important for business.
Most impressive was the very warm welcome from all staff, and the fact that they made a very early morning breakfast for me when I was the only guest. The pub looks lovely and rustic. I didn't eat there, but intend to next time. Ideal location for Rochford etc, but a beautiful location and great parking. I will definitely stay again! Oh and they gave me free wi fi access.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business
3  Thank farfromhomeReading
Reviewed 8 November 2010

food was cold, a big pillar in the table, which meant one half off the table could'nt see the other.

service as cold,as the food.

staff abusing the disabled parking bays.

and if you make a complaint, dont expect a reply from them

Stayed: November 2010
5  Thank bagpuss025
Reviewed 15 October 2010

4 bright and stylish rooms with ensuite bathrooms just to the side of the restaurant. Ideal if you want to come and go as you please with your own front door. Near to car park for unloading. The rooms have everything that you would need and electric heating individually controlled from a switch on the wall - and a wonderfully luxurious bed, pillows and duvet.
Despite this being a very built up area, the pub feels as though it is in the country as it is between Rochford and Great Stambridge.
There was a lovely roaring fire in the evening and the evening meals offer a good choice at reasonable prices if you choose their 2 course deal. And it isn't mass produced pub chain fare.
Only quibble was that the waitor voiced my room numberin the hearing of people at the bar, when taking my evening meal order - it felt wrong from a safety point of view as I'm a lone female traveller.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled on business