“unexpected little gem”

Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Rochford
eastbourne
“unexpected little gem”
Reviewed 3 January 2012

travelling as a woman alone on business it is often tricky to find a homely yet 'fit for purpose' hotel. Well the cherry tree is great. Perfect cosy comfortable rooms - slept like a log! Good pub grub with homely real fire and very friendly staff. Couldn't fault it and I am a picky well seasoned hotel user!
Oh yes and inexpensive too.
Thank you for a great stay from start to finish!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank EastbourneKelly

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Bedfordshire
Reviewed 26 September 2011

Really enjoyed our visit to the Cherry Tree. Probably best accommodation in the area. Menu was the specials board which had a wide range and very tasty. Great wine menu too. The Chateauneuf du Pape, was lovely. Rooms were perfect, great decor, very clean, tea/coffee making facilities, hairdryer, etc... I had also forgotten shampoo and conditioner, but thankfully they had thought of everything, so didn't need to worry. If you are in need of a room in this area, then I don't think you can go far wrong with booking this inn.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank mx5fan
United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 August 2011

At one weeks notice we booked a triple room to attend a family event nearby. Although I provided credit card details at the time of booking, there was no mention of any kind of cancellation policy, and indeed I can find nothing to this effect on the Cherry Tree website. The room rate was £89 which I felt was expensive but there was no availability elsewhere so I went ahead with the booking.

On the morning of our stay, my wife unfortunately suffered a fall and fractured a bone in her foot, meaning that we couldnt attend the function. Having spent time at the hospital, I rang the Cherry Tree to cancel our booking. I was told that full charges would apply unless 24hrs notice was given. Obviously I didnt know my wife was going to be injured 24hrs before and found this to lack any kind of empathy or understanding.

After an exchange of phone calls, where the female member of staff on the phone was referring matters to her 'boss', I was told that if the room was sold on then I wouldnt be charged. I also queried the point that if the pub was going to apply room charges there should be some reduction for the three breakfasts which we werent going to consume but were included in the rate. She stated that I would receive a call the next morning to let me know the situation.

No call was forthcoming the next morning and I called the Cherry Tree the following evening to met with an apology that 'they had been busy'. I was told that the room hadn't been let out and my card would be charged accordingly; obviously I have to take their word on this.

The one concession made was that I would only be charged £79, representing a £10 reduction for the cost of breakfast.

I am very disappointed in the Cherry Tree whose actions have added to an already traumatic weekend. The one recommendation I would make though are their full english breakfasts which are apparently sold at £3.33 per person!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank NorthamptonHarry
Leigh-on Sea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 July 2011

We didn't stay at The Cherry Tree but we were there for lunch last Sunday and I couldn't find a way to add a review for the restaurant only.

We decided to go there for Sunday lunch and had a delicious meal. I had the scallops and bacon for starters and my husband had the home made pate. For our mains I asked for the chicken and mushroom risotto as a main (it was only down as a starter) and my husband had the locally sourced sausages with mash.

I am a lover of risotto and have to say that it was the best I've ever had! I've seen some reviews about the food being cold which I'm really surprised as everything was piping hot and delicious.

The menu is put onto a chalkboard which ensures that it's a varied selection. If you get there late some items may have sold out however I always take it as a good sign as I would prefer a menu that is fresh and up-to-date.

We will definitely return soon as my husband wants the risotto!

Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LeighHappyGirl
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 July 2011

We picked the Cherry Tree Inn almost with a pin, since there are very few places to stay within striking distance of Shoeburyness – where, for reasons that would take too much explaining, we found ourselves obliged to spend a night. The Cherry Tree is situated just outside the village of Srambridge, and has a nice quiet rural location, despite being so close to Southend.

My business partner and I asked for a twin room, and the landlady said on the phone she would make one up for us specially (they didn’t actually advertise twin rooms as such). We arrived just after 8pm on a Sunday, and although the kitchen shut at eight, the landlady opened it up again so that we could enjoy a hot meal – which, contrary to the previous review, was served piping hot and fresh and was very tasty. The barman was very helpful and friendly, and we felt welcome indeed.

The main bar in the Cherry Tree is quite old – dating from the 18th Century I would guess – and has numerous quirky beams and odd nooks and corners – quite characterful, so it’s not surprising there might be the odd inconveniently placed pillar (bagpuss02!). It’s nice and quiet, without blaring musak all over the place, and there were just a few locals in the bar having a quiet drink – a very pleasant atmosphere.

Our room was fine – in chalet-style annexe at the back of the inn, clean and of a reasonable size. The en-suite bathroom was a bit odd – more like an expanded disabled toilet with a shower in the corner protected only by a rather flimsy curtain, so the water went everywhere. Maybe it’s supposed to be a ‘wet room’ – well, it certainly was after two showers!

The one thing that did rather spoil the overall experience was the size of the beds. I don’t think I have ever slept in a narrower one – I bet they have wider beds in Wormwood Scrubs! They were literally only two feet wide, and my colleague and I spent most of the night waking up for fear we were going to fall out of them. If I’d known that, I might have asked for a room each, and hang the extra expense.

So, not exactly the most comfortable night’s sleep. But breakfast was good and freshly cooked for us, even at the rather red-eye hour of seven in the morning: excellent sausages, bacon, eggs,toast and all the rest. The landlady was sweet and obliging, and one couldn’t fault the welcome or the service.

Overall, not at all a bad choice, given the limited options in the area; but we’d recommend two single rooms rather than a twin!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Nigel-Gordon-Walker
Westcliff-on-Sea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 April 2011

Thinking we would have a cosy lunch together we went to the Cherry Tree as had been there before. The menu did not really jump out at us, but went with the 2 course £12.95 special. We both chose the fisherman's pie and were equally disappointed, although the plates were hot the food definately was not, nor was the quality good, too much mash potato and not enough fish - and it arrived in 6 minutes flat. The desserts were much better, but overall we feel we can eat better for less, elsewhere in the area

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank keith47
reading
Reviewed 10 April 2011

I usually stay in brand name hotels, but this was nearest to my location for work and I was so impressed with it. The rooms are in a next door block to the pub, so very quiet. They are beautifully and stylishly decorated, with fabulous toiletries, and good tea and coffee making facilities. It had a good desk too which is important for business.
Most impressive was the very warm welcome from all staff, and the fact that they made a very early morning breakfast for me when I was the only guest. The pub looks lovely and rustic. I didn't eat there, but intend to next time. Ideal location for Rochford etc, but a beautiful location and great parking. I will definitely stay again! Oh and they gave me free wi fi access.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
3 Thank farfromhomeReading
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rochford
Skylark Hotel
Holiday Inn Southend
Holiday Inn Southend
#6 of 19 in Southend-on-Sea
Park Inn by Radisson Palace Southend-on-Sea
Park Inn by Radisson Palace Sout...
#12 of 19 in Southend-on-Sea
Travelodge Southend on Sea
Travelodge Southend on Sea
#14 of 19 in Southend-on-Sea

Been to The Cherry Tree? Share your experiences!