“Resturant review”

The Cherry Tree
The Cherry Tree
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Rochford
Reviewed 7 March 2012

We WERE regulars,. I was looking forward to visiting as i know the new young couple have taken over. i was expecting good things. At first the menu was plain, nothing grabbed me abd it was a little over priced. I would have happily walked out but we were there. Then i thought well maybe less is more ??? i had my started which was strange, 4 king prawns barbequed, but on a wooden slab which looked old and very used, with some cold marie rose sauce. we did not get our main for about 40 minutes, it really was not that busy when we did get it the whole dish and plate was cold i placed my hand in between the two slices of beef and it was cold, we sent it back, only to get it back 5 mintutes later, the exact same plate ?????? I did complain. think a lot of people complained there was a large table in the conservatory that said they had been waiting an hour and they had young children, shame. What was taking so long ???? Also the lady owner has employed
a young chap, who was very lovely, to be front of house. Atmosphere was awful. i also over heard the owner having a go at another member of staff for having another glass of cloke, i should not have heard that, unproffessional.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank tammy h
Amanda T, Owner at The Cherry Tree, responded to this reviewResponded 9 March 2012

We do appreciate all feedback, as new owners it is very important. Firstly I would like to say that Marie-rose sauce is meant to be a cold dressing as it is mayonnaise based. I would also like to say that previous to our ownership the food was all pre-cut, pre-cooked practically like a fast food restaurant which explains why we take a little longer preparing our food as it is cooked and sliced to order, apologies if it was not hot enough, the majority of our customers ~90% believe we have improved the quality of food and upgraded the menu, this is the feedback we have recieved I am sorry you felt you had a bad experience with us.

There are newer reviews for The Cherry Tree

Reviewed 22 February 2012

Thought we would give The Cherry Tree another try since we heard it had been taken over. We found it to be overpriced before and the menu was lacking in imagination.

We went as a large group of 13 for a birthday meal. The food was good, however the service was very slow.

The problem is the atmosphere .. There is none!! The music being played for instance was a real strange mix.

We won't be rushing back, which is a real shame as it is only down the road and we can walk to it :(

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank JoD66
Amanda T, Owner at The Cherry Tree, responded to this reviewResponded 24 February 2012

We are new owners we are trying to settle in so any feedback is appreciated please try us again as we are trying to iron out the teething problems. many thanks

Reviewed 20 February 2012

We had lunch at this restaurant last Sunday. We ate in the bar area. Sunday lunch was OK but my partner had to wait some 10 minutes for a cup of coffee prior to the meal and I was served a pint of Adnams Broadside that was clearly 'off' and un-drinkable even though I heard the bar staff discussing that the barrel needed changing before being served (I wrongly assumed that they had changed it!!!)
The service was average to say the least and I found that they had added a service charge of some 12% to the bill (I can't recall seeing that in black & white on the menu?)
Wouldn't go back again!!!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank colfitz123

I would like to apologise if you felt your experience was damaged in anyway by the lack of service detail you experienced, the beer was at the end of the barrel when pulled and should not have been served the bartender in question was new (only her second shift) and misunderstood for that I am sorry and thankyou for your feedback as now all customers are warned of the service charge at the bottom of the menu and it is entirely discretionary any more points I would be grateful if you were to get in contact with me.

Reviewed 3 January 2012

travelling as a woman alone on business it is often tricky to find a homely yet 'fit for purpose' hotel. Well the cherry tree is great. Perfect cosy comfortable rooms - slept like a log! Good pub grub with homely real fire and very friendly staff. Couldn't fault it and I am a picky well seasoned hotel user!
Oh yes and inexpensive too.
Thank you for a great stay from start to finish!

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank EastbourneKelly
Reviewed 26 September 2011

Really enjoyed our visit to the Cherry Tree. Probably best accommodation in the area. Menu was the specials board which had a wide range and very tasty. Great wine menu too. The Chateauneuf du Pape, was lovely. Rooms were perfect, great decor, very clean, tea/coffee making facilities, hairdryer, etc... I had also forgotten shampoo and conditioner, but thankfully they had thought of everything, so didn't need to worry. If you are in need of a room in this area, then I don't think you can go far wrong with booking this inn.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank mx5fan
Reviewed 28 August 2011

At one weeks notice we booked a triple room to attend a family event nearby. Although I provided credit card details at the time of booking, there was no mention of any kind of cancellation policy, and indeed I can find nothing to this effect on the Cherry Tree website. The room rate was £89 which I felt was expensive but there was no availability elsewhere so I went ahead with the booking.

On the morning of our stay, my wife unfortunately suffered a fall and fractured a bone in her foot, meaning that we couldnt attend the function. Having spent time at the hospital, I rang the Cherry Tree to cancel our booking. I was told that full charges would apply unless 24hrs notice was given. Obviously I didnt know my wife was going to be injured 24hrs before and found this to lack any kind of empathy or understanding.

After an exchange of phone calls, where the female member of staff on the phone was referring matters to her 'boss', I was told that if the room was sold on then I wouldnt be charged. I also queried the point that if the pub was going to apply room charges there should be some reduction for the three breakfasts which we werent going to consume but were included in the rate. She stated that I would receive a call the next morning to let me know the situation.

No call was forthcoming the next morning and I called the Cherry Tree the following evening to met with an apology that 'they had been busy'. I was told that the room hadn't been let out and my card would be charged accordingly; obviously I have to take their word on this.

The one concession made was that I would only be charged £79, representing a £10 reduction for the cost of breakfast.

I am very disappointed in the Cherry Tree whose actions have added to an already traumatic weekend. The one recommendation I would make though are their full english breakfasts which are apparently sold at £3.33 per person!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank NorthamptonHarry
Reviewed 30 July 2011

We didn't stay at The Cherry Tree but we were there for lunch last Sunday and I couldn't find a way to add a review for the restaurant only.

We decided to go there for Sunday lunch and had a delicious meal. I had the scallops and bacon for starters and my husband had the home made pate. For our mains I asked for the chicken and mushroom risotto as a main (it was only down as a starter) and my husband had the locally sourced sausages with mash.

I am a lover of risotto and have to say that it was the best I've ever had! I've seen some reviews about the food being cold which I'm really surprised as everything was piping hot and delicious.

The menu is put onto a chalkboard which ensures that it's a varied selection. If you get there late some items may have sold out however I always take it as a good sign as I would prefer a menu that is fresh and up-to-date.

We will definitely return soon as my husband wants the risotto!

Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank LeighHappyGirl
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rochford
Skylark Hotel
#1 of 2 in Thorpe Bay
Travelodge Southend on Sea
Travelodge Southend on Sea
#14 of 19 in Southend-on-Sea

Been to The Cherry Tree? Share your experiences!