“Accommodation and meals” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Rochford
Verwood, United Kingdom
“Accommodation and meals”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2012

Just at the cherry tree now and really can't fault it. Stayed overnight last night in one of the rooms which are in a separate block set to the side / back of the hotel. The room is clean, modern etc and the duvet is lovely :-) silly things too make a difference - stayed at a hotel last week where bottled water was £3.95 in the room, so there it stayed, whereas here, the water in the room was FREE.

Had a steak last night and was served 24 mins after ordering, cooked to order obviously and absolutely lovely with some nice presentation too.

Breakfast again was lovely with thick bread ( again stayed elsewhere and get measly thin!) and nice bacon and eggs. (But please get some English butter in it has more taste ;-)

All the staff were polite and friendly. I would definitely stay again. I presume the teething issues raised in previous reviews are coming to an end now so give them a chance and try it for yourself or in this day and age it will be another disappearing landmark.

Final thing - if you sat nav to it this takes you to the end of stambridge rd in the town. You need to follow this road out to what looks more like the country (same road still) and you will find it there.

Enjoy :-)

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
      Sleep Quality
      Rooms
1 Thank BobUK999

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2012

Last Wednesday I drove down from London to Brentwood to take my Mum out for lunch as it was her birthday. She suggested The Cherry Tree as she had previously been there over Christmas.
As I live in London I am spoilt for choice with regards to good food, but unfortunately, in Essex, I have had many average meals, most of them below average. So, my expectations were very low.
When we arrived in Rochford the sun was shining and I really felt that I was in the counrtyside. We entered to a warm welcome around 2.15. The waitress was very attentive through out the meal and knowledgeable about the locally sourced food.
I found the menu to be tantalising and had difficulty in choosing what to eat as so much appealed to me.
I ended up having sardines on toast (highly recommended), followed by Desperate Dan's cow pie (really deliscious and very tasty). Although I was sated, the food was so good that I had to have a creme brulee, followed by a double espresso. Both equally yummy.
The presentation was to a very high standard, something that you would see on the final of MasterChef. My only complaint was that the broccoli was not al dente enough for my liking.
I highly recommend a trip to The Cherry Tree to indulge in such quality food and I look forward to my next visit

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Jake M
Shoeburyness, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2012

im sorry to say it was bad, i wanted a roast dinner and we had been been many times before and the roast on sunday was good. We was told no beef but belly of pork so that was what i ordered, it arrived as a clinical square of pork with a yorkshire pudding and three roast potatoes the pork was cold in the middle and tasted quite bland i could not eat the dinner as it was not up to standard. We explained to the waiter as he took our plates away he returned to say the chef said it was belly of pork and that was how it was but was sorry it was cold in the middle!! A lady then came over with four chocolate truffles as a sorry for the bad meal!! When i paid the bill we was charged full price for a meal which i had complained about and it was plain to anyone i had hardley touched it.So im sorry to say we wont be going back and i handed my loyalty card in.

Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Jacky B
Amanda T, Owner at The Cherry Tree, responded to this review, 12 March 2012
In response to this review, we do experience a high volume of sunday lunch bookings, we are now reviewing whether to begin our a la carte menu in the evening as we do run out of certain items from time to time. I did come over to offer a gesture and to allow you an avenue for feedback as I heard from your server you were unhappy. The quality of our food is very important to us. Many thanks for choosing this avenue for feedback.
southend
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2012

We WERE regulars,. I was looking forward to visiting as i know the new young couple have taken over. i was expecting good things. At first the menu was plain, nothing grabbed me abd it was a little over priced. I would have happily walked out but we were there. Then i thought well maybe less is more ??? i had my started which was strange, 4 king prawns barbequed, but on a wooden slab which looked old and very used, with some cold marie rose sauce. we did not get our main for about 40 minutes, it really was not that busy when we did get it the whole dish and plate was cold i placed my hand in between the two slices of beef and it was cold, we sent it back, only to get it back 5 mintutes later, the exact same plate ?????? I did complain. think a lot of people complained there was a large table in the conservatory that said they had been waiting an hour and they had young children, shame. What was taking so long ???? Also the lady owner has employed
a young chap, who was very lovely, to be front of house. Atmosphere was awful. i also over heard the owner having a go at another member of staff for having another glass of cloke, i should not have heard that, unproffessional.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank tammy h
Amanda T, Owner at The Cherry Tree, responded to this review, 9 March 2012
We do appreciate all feedback, as new owners it is very important. Firstly I would like to say that Marie-rose sauce is meant to be a cold dressing as it is mayonnaise based. I would also like to say that previous to our ownership the food was all pre-cut, pre-cooked practically like a fast food restaurant which explains why we take a little longer preparing our food as it is cooked and sliced to order, apologies if it was not hot enough, the majority of our customers ~90% believe we have improved the quality of food and upgraded the menu, this is the feedback we have recieved I am sorry you felt you had a bad experience with us.
Rochford, Essex
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2012

Thought we would give The Cherry Tree another try since we heard it had been taken over. We found it to be overpriced before and the menu was lacking in imagination.

We went as a large group of 13 for a birthday meal. The food was good, however the service was very slow.

The problem is the atmosphere .. There is none!! The music being played for instance was a real strange mix.

We won't be rushing back, which is a real shame as it is only down the road and we can walk to it :(

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank JoD66
Amanda T, Owner at The Cherry Tree, responded to this review, 24 February 2012
We are new owners we are trying to settle in so any feedback is appreciated please try us again as we are trying to iron out the teething problems. many thanks
London
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2012

We had lunch at this restaurant last Sunday. We ate in the bar area. Sunday lunch was OK but my partner had to wait some 10 minutes for a cup of coffee prior to the meal and I was served a pint of Adnams Broadside that was clearly 'off' and un-drinkable even though I heard the bar staff discussing that the barrel needed changing before being served (I wrongly assumed that they had changed it!!!)
The service was average to say the least and I found that they had added a service charge of some 12% to the bill (I can't recall seeing that in black & white on the menu?)
Wouldn't go back again!!!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank colfitz123
Amanda T, Owner at The Cherry Tree, responded to this review, 24 February 2012
I would like to apologise if you felt your experience was damaged in anyway by the lack of service detail you experienced, the beer was at the end of the barrel when pulled and should not have been served the bartender in question was new (only her second shift) and misunderstood for that I am sorry and thankyou for your feedback as now all customers are warned of the service charge at the bottom of the menu and it is entirely discretionary any more points I would be grateful if you were to get in contact with me.
eastbourne
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2012

travelling as a woman alone on business it is often tricky to find a homely yet 'fit for purpose' hotel. Well the cherry tree is great. Perfect cosy comfortable rooms - slept like a log! Good pub grub with homely real fire and very friendly staff. Couldn't fault it and I am a picky well seasoned hotel user!
Oh yes and inexpensive too.
Thank you for a great stay from start to finish!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
      Sleep Quality
      Rooms
2 Thank EastbourneKelly
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rochford
The Rochford Hotel
Westcliff Hotel
Westcliff Hotel
#2 of 5 in Westcliff-on-Sea
Premier Inn Southend On Sea (Eastern Esplanade) Hotel
Premier Inn Southend On Sea (Eas...
#1 of 19 in Southend-on-Sea
Holiday Inn Southend
Holiday Inn Southend
#6 of 19 in Southend-on-Sea
Roslin Beach Hotel
Roslin Beach Hotel
#1 of 2 in Thorpe Bay
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,351 reviews

Been to The Cherry Tree? Share your experiences!