Skylark Hotel
US$80
The Rochford Hotel(Rochford)(Great Value!)
US$110
Holiday Inn Southend(Southend-on-Sea)
US$94
US$79
HolidayInn.com
  • Restaurant
Premier Inn Southend Airport Hotel(Southend-on-Sea)(Great Value!)
US$93
PremierInn.com
US$65
Travelodge
The Last Post(Southend-on-Sea)(Great Value!)
US$65
Gleneagles Guesthouse(Westcliff-on-Sea)
US$127
US$123
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsbathrobes and slippersexecutive roomunusual hotelwarm roomsouthend areafull english breakfastbirthday partyone night stayshower gelfriendly hotelan overnight stayclose to the airportroom was largecomfy bed
Reviewed 14 October 2013

Stayed recently for a business meeting and found the hotel to be of very good quality. My room was spotless and very well equipped, with a massive bed and nice touches like bathrobes, good tea making and free WiFi. Despite being close to the airport the room was quiet and I got a very good nights sleep. Breakfast was excellent and I spoke to another guest who reported previous nights dinner was good too. For future reference I took the trouble to check out the business facilities and there were plenty of meeting rooms, etc and for a very big conference they will open up an on site nightclub for exclusive use of the delegates. Plenty of free on site parking too. The rates were competitive and all in all I had a good stay. Certainly stay again when in the area.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the main building for maximum convenience.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 25 August 2013

Positives are the hotel reception staff were lovely. Met two men one in the day and one in the night both were smiley, friendly and very helpful. The rooms were clean and tidy, but the carpet looked a like it had seen much better days.
Negatives are the room was extremely basic £85 for 1 night and in a bad location. Nothing is around locally accept for 1 pub driving distance& a Tesco so you have to pay for cabs to go anywhere. I think £55 would be a reasonable price for the basic accommodation&location. I am glad 1 .

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed 12 August 2013

The hotel was easy to find. On booking in I asked the reception staff what time breakfast was for the morning. She didn't have a clue. Told us it was written on the card slip for our room. The carpets in the hallways were badly stained. The room was clean with a large queen sized bed. Good shower and clean bathroom No information in the rooms about restaurant times, fire exits etc. breakfast was a joke. £8 each we were pointed to a table and our order was taken. 45 mins later I was concerned that people arriving after me had got theirs but ours was not in sight. I asked the waitress and she then went to the kitchen and ours arrived. No apology and some of the items missing. I complained to the desk staff but they didnt sem to have a process to deal with complaints Spoilt the rest of my trip. They need to up their game

Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Peter F
Reviewed 21 July 2013

My fiancee and I were trying to organise our engagement party at this hotel, using their restaurant as the venue.

We had had preliminary discussions with their staff.

We then decided to meet the owner/manager, Andreas to confirm the final arrangements.

We were weary of him as he had told my fiancee on the phone he wasn't aware that it was "ethnic engagement".

When we met him he complained that "my people" didn't drink enough alcohol and he was concerned not enough people would use the bar.

I questioned him what he meant by that comment and he said "you muslims don't drink alcohol."

I corrected him that I was a Hindu and he said the same comment again.

My fiancee pointed out that this was an outrageous generalisation to make, especially as I did drink alcohol myself and so do my Hindu family.

This fell on deaf ears and no apology was offered.

Avoid this arrogant, rude, and more importantly, racist person and his business.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
26  Thank Vivek P
Reviewed 13 July 2013

We stayed at the Skylark, Southend on a Saturday night in July. I had read the reviews and was not expecting too much but was pleasantly surprised.
We had an executive room with a huge super kingsize bed that was very comfortable. The linen and towels seemed nearly new and were spotlessly clean, as was the room.
Other reviews noted the deteriorating condition of the en-suites but our bathroom had obviously been updated and was clean and had a powerful shower over the bath.
Although the hotel was busy we were not disturbed by any noise at all, though our room was towards the end of a corridor so I can't speak for others nearer reception and the bar/restaurant. We had booked one of the last rooms available through laterooms.com (cheaper than booking direct through Skylark website for some reason) and our room was on the side near the runway of Southend airport but we only heard 3 planes in the 18 hours we were there and they were remarkably quiet.
An earlier review mentions the 'abandoned and rotting'airplanes. Well, it's an airport and I guess retired planes are parked out of the way sometimes, but I quite liked looking at them and they were more interesting than a pile of bricks in the Tate.
The corridors were clear and the pictures have now been hung on the wall so that reviewer may just have been unfortunate in his timing.
You can, if flying from Southend, leave your car in the hotel car park (not sure what the cost was if any).
We will definitely have this hotel on our list of places to stay the next time we are in Southend.
A final word re the food. We didn't use the restaurant as we were at a function elsewhere in the evening but we had the breakfast the next morning. A reasonable continental selection, but we both had the full English and again another pleasant surprise. Very good quality and very nicely cooked. For info we had room 115.
This is a comfortable, clean, unpretentious hotel with an above average breakfast.

Room Tip: Room 115 was towards the end of a corridor away from reception
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends