“Yummy good prices”

Ranked #3 of 37 Restaurants in Rochford
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 21 August 2014 via mobile

4 of us had lunch my chicken pate was lovely with loads of toast garlic bread pizza style very garlicy but soggy special was chicken and mushroom pie yummy boys had oak burger with bacon and cheese and homemade chips very nice and huge and chicken and ribs combo lovely not expensive go there loads and always good

1  Thank trotterbird

Reviewed 4 August 2014

Really welcoming visit upon recommendation from others. Good pub grub and good portions but £11.50 for a steak and kidney pudding was a bit steep. Average starter at £5 and review of bill afterwards showed different prices for the second round of the same drinks?? Typical rural Essex pub. Could do with some updating. But it was clean and staff were great.

1  Thank Nigel D
Reviewed 30 July 2014

Always had excellent food here and good selection. Service always with a smile and a good choice of beers on the bar.

1  Thank D137803H
Reviewed 14 July 2014

Unpromising, right from the start - I was not welcomed by the staff, who were quite indifferent. For lunch I chose a tuna dish from the specials board. This was a slice of fresh tuna, served with rice and stir fried vegetables. This cost £13.95, which I thought was expensive. From the start I wasn't sure how fresh the tuna tasted. And then a couple of hours later the diarrhoea began and lasted for the rest of the afternoon.

13  Thank James F
Reviewed 10 July 2014

I have been here a couple of times and must say that the food has always been pretty good. Today was a bit of a cheeky visit as I had a prepaid discount meal voucher. My wife and I arrived at midday to find only one other person in the restaurant, but within a very short time the room was half full. I cannot fault the lady that served us; she was very pleasant and with her banter made us feel more than welcome. We were given the menus and a rundown of the daily specials. Our food soon arrived and I could not fault it. Although saying that, I noticed that the adjacent tables food could have been presented better as the shepherd’s pie appeared to have gravy running down the outside of the dish, nevertheless this is a minor detail and does not in any way affect the taste.

Our original plan was to stop here for a lunch consisting of a starter and main. However, it’s always polite to browse the dessert menu and sure enough we gave into temptation. I opted for the Chocolate ravioli, which to be honest sounded and looked better than it tasted. My wife who told me she was full, could not resist the summer pudding which was an additional dessert not shown on the menu and happens to be a favourite of hers.

Would we return? Yes. The food is extremely good and we were made to feel very welcome.