“If there is nothing in the area.. Terrible service!”

and 1 more site!
Lindors Country House Hotel
Brighton, United Kingdom
“If there is nothing in the area.. Terrible service!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2013

Hotel has lovely grounds and garden with lovely small waterfouls. But thats about it...

First of all the service was one of the worse we have expirience. Stuff doesn't make you wellcome, even more - make you feel as intruder. If there is something you don't like you better not complain because, you are rude and have no right to be unhappy about something. Reception is ridiculous, combined with canteen alike snack shop, so basically they are none to great you and to check in /out you wait with other people buying cakes/coffes/teas. People behind the couter don't really bother your questions about the ground or where is what.. Engaged in their own working world of flirting/teasing each other. Breakfest not on time and only for 1.5 hours!!! They open the door and dissapear, so there is none to serve you but when you help yourself someone is suddenly telling you off that you can't do that.. Odd! More - You cannot smoke anywhere on the grounds! There is no bar in the hotel!!! as its chrictians guild retreat you will find a chapel instead! :) Ohh, and the cleaning - we came back after all day of mountain bikeing around 4pm and the room wasn't done. When I politely asked when we cound count on having it cleaned, so we would wait outside - I was with "levely" atitude explained that the are other rooms who are checking in today and they have to be done first! There is 20 rooms overall..I don't know what time they start but if the reception would be working properly they would have keep track of people leaving the hotel in the morning and which rooms could be done first. But 4pm when you come back from few hours or riding - this is exacly what you need, no shawer/bath...just someone with attitude to give you lesson and ask you to wait for your well paid rest. Well... Overall hotel with amazing potencial, with beautiful ground and waterfouls, but just compeletly missmanaged. We didn't enjoy anything outside of our bedroom. And thanks heavens we upgrated to superior...!

Room Tip: Don't go there...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Magdalena F

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2013

What a place!

The Hotel itself is beautiful. Staff were all lovely. We arrived late and they did everything they could to slot us in and feed us.

You sit on big tables with other guests so it's not very intimate and you have to chat to other guests but everyone was really lovely. 95% of the people there were all in ther 70's-80's.

The Grounds are just unbelievable. Little rivers and bridges running through. I could have spent all day just wandering round.

There is a Pool you can use but its a about 50 yards up the road. It's part of a Log Cabin park. You get a Towel when you get there. Take some flip flops as you can't go into the changing rooms with your shoes on so there were piles of shoes all over the entrance hallway.

The room was fine although had the classic b&b decor rather than a sheek modern style.

Would stay again.

Check out the little riverside walk right beside the carpark.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank daveyctvr
Stockport, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2013

We needed accommodation for 4 adults and one 4 year old, for one night. We were lucky enough to be able to have a lodge at Lindors Country House hotel. It was a self catering 2 bedroom lodge. Parking just outside the lodge, for easy packing / unpacking. Lots of space indoors, lovely little patio with chairs. We were right along side the swimming pool. And obviously on arrival our 4 year old needed a swim. Just entered an access code to the pool, free lockers, nice size pools, one shallow one for toddlers, deeper one for family fun. Nice warm showers along side pool. Good size changing room. Accommodation had everything you need, vacuum, cleaning products, tv, fully equipped kitchen. Shower very good, there is a notice saying not to use other water facilities whilst someone s in the shower,but that was no problem. ironing board & Iron, hair dryer, complimentary bathroom products. Beds very comfy, lots of pillow and extra blankets. There was a form to advise management of any faults found during the stay, we certainly didn't have any complaints, but that was a very useful exchange. We would have liked to have been able to stay longer to go around the grounds, hopefully we will come back. The staff were all very friendly, and the whole experience was a great atmosphere.

Room Tip: Lodges were very reasonably priced, and lots of privacy. Our four year old could run around indoors...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank wild55
Oakland, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2013

My friend and I stayed here for just a night, but I wish we had discovered this place earlier, as it was so nice and comfortable, and I would have been happy to stay here longer. There is an indoor swimming pool, and some gorgeous gardens to explore. We had a top floor twin room, which had not much in the way of a view but it was a sparklingly clean room, with quite a large ensuite bathroom, and so peacefully quiet. The staff was warm and friendly, and very welcoming. I think we paid 50 for one night - such a deal. The location was super too - right between Monmouth and Tintern.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank soybean1734
Holmfirth, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2013

We stayed in a lodge mainly because we I have a disability and the lodges are far easier to cope with. The lodge was perfect - clean, quiet although the furniture was slightly uncomfortable and, considering it was in the lodge reserved for people with disabilities not very disability friendly. The furniture was too low for me to be able to get out of without help . As a lodge which was adapted for disabilitiest I think the only difference between this lodge and others was the amount of space inside it
As with most lodges they can have a tendency to be too warm and evening opening the windows/doors does not allow enough air flow through. If like me you require a fairly cool bedroom to be able to sleep then this could be a problem.
On arrival we found we couldn't get the TV to work and my husband went to ask the staff how to get a channel but nobody wanted to help; in fact we found the staff quite reserved to the point of being unfriendly - hardly what I expected from another Christian.
We found the lounge to be comfortable and well stocked with magazines - as an avid reader I did appreciate this.
Lindors is in superb grounds and beautiful countryside although you would have to be prepared to drive/walk a couple of miles before you found the nearest shop- you can't just nip out for the morning paper. However, our fellow 'lodgers' were delightful and it was a peaceful place to be. I have, however, downgraded my rating because I do think the staff could have been a little more pleasant and helpful and it is has certainly made me think about whether I would want to return.

Room Tip: We stayed in the lodge in the grounds and can recommend them as they are comfortable, and peaceful...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Lynne N
Harrogate
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2013

We stayed at Lindors as we were attending a family wedding close by.
We booked a family room as we were staying with our two children aged 4 and 6 and as there were no outside cabins available we were allocated a family room in the main house itself.
Staff were courteous although not exactly friendly and the room was just awful. It was located right up in the eaves of the hotel, up several twisty corridors and several flights of stairs.
The room was actually, two adjoining rooms with a bunk bed in one part and a double bed in the other with the bathroom of that room.
It was cramped, hot, desperately in need of airing and very tired. The water pipes made noises all night and when they stopped the roar of the waterfall outside the window kept me awake almost all night!
Breakfast was busy and we had to wait a little for a table. The hot buffet had to be served by a waitress - rather than being self service - health and safety reasons apparently - so it amazes me how so many hotels have self service buffets at all!
The hotel grounds were lovely, although the waterfall was a little off putting so couldn't really let my children wander off too far from me.
In all, at £80 per night I though that the hotel was overpriced and definitely not somewhere I would ever return to!

Room Tip: Avoid the family room in the eaves!
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Abbsys
Manchester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2013

I booked to stay two nights at this Christian Fellowship hotel on a solo walking week. Checking in, I was offered help with my luggage (minimal) which I declined but could have used some guidance on my room location (through a lounge, up stairs, along a corridor, up more stairs, along a bit further and down a flight). I was informed that supper would be at 7pm to suit a group in the hotel. The blurb mentioned there would be no seating plan as they wished guests to mingle. I duly went down to the lounge and struck up a conversation with a lady in the group and when we were ushered through to the dining room, took a seat near her. The group leader then informed me I couldn't sit there and I was ushered by the hotel hostess to a single table, by the entrance door with my back to everyone else in the room, as if I was a social pariah! What sort of hospitality is this? I felt I couldn't stay the extra night and although I got a refund, no apology. Amateur! I stayed in a Travel Lodge and had much better service there.

Room Tip: Be prepared to be forceful and don't go alone!
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
Parva Farmhouse Riverside Guesthouse
BEST WESTERN Royal George Hotel
Tintern Old Rectory B&B
St. Pierre Marriott Hotel & Country Club

Been to Lindors Country House Hotel? Share your experiences!