“Getting better!”

Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in El Pescadero
Seattle, Washington
“Getting better!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2014

My wife and I recently were back at Cerritos; we stayed last January for 4 nights, and again this January for 5 nights ( we bought a block of 10 nights). We obviously liked it enough to come back (despite some mild drawbacks), and I think its getting better.
The year prior, there were power and water black-outs, usually in the middle of the night. This time, there were no black-outs. We had a one bedroom villa, and it was fairly well equipped; we requested a blender and a coffee maker, and they provided them for us. the staff at Cerritos had a complete turnover, and its for the better; they are much more accommodating and much less defensive about any requests. example: a year prior, they charged $10/day for really spotty wifi that only worked around the pool. Now, its included, which is such the common sense thing to do. Still limited bandwith, but hey, you deal with it. They have daily housekeeping. There is now a shack out front where u can rent boogie boards and surf boards and get lessons. I rented a boogie board for 4 days, and loved it!
Read these reviews and come prepared. Rent a car. Buy your groceries in Cabo prior to coming to Cerritos. OMG, stop at Asi & Asado for tacos in Cabo beforehand and pick up enough tacos for the week. Buy your own booze and blend your own pina coladas. Take said pina colada to the beach. What else do you need?
If given a choice between one of the resorts in Cabo or Cerritos, i'll take Cerritos anyday. But it depends what you want. I love waking up to the ocean, make my own coffee in my villa, go out to beach to just stretch, read, and bop back and forth into the ocean. I can buy overpriced lunch or dinner, or make my own. I can drive 8 miles into Todos Santos and hang out there for the day if I want, its all super leisurely. And I don't have to fight over patio chairs or space or even be bothered by other people.
BTW, I didn't need a wetsuit to swim in the ocean. The ocean was warmer than the unheated swimming pool.
We liked it enough we extended our balance of rooms; we now have 10 more nights in a 2 bedroom villa to be used in the next 2 years, and we are super excited to be back next year.

Room Tip: Of course, request an oceanfront villa! But if not, the ones right behind them aren't bad.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Huda M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (162)
Guayaquil, Ecuador
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2014

I purchased a four night stay through DoubleTake Coupons, and the deal was great! Plus we had three years to use the coupon. So, we waited two and a half years, to allow them to get their act together. I've been to Cabo before, traveled the world, and have lived in Latin America. This location has the infrastructure to be a nice destination, but the management just does not understand how to properly run a hotel. The toilets would not flush properly, the hot water was off and on, the hottubs (two of them) never worked the entire time. The food is expensive and the drinks are expensive too. You have access to the Hacienda, which is beautiful, and the whale watching was amazing, but we heard the Hacienda has the same issues with details. We stayed four nights, our bedding was never changed once. The villas are beautiful to look at with a great living room and kitchen, which I would totally recommend buying food and preparing it there. The roofs have bugs and spiders, and I found small golden spiders in my bed every night. The beds are hard, and the pillows of poor quality. The property advertises horses, para-sailing, etc., but none of these amenities belong to them. The horses were owned by a local man, who just happened onto the beach one day. The para-sailing is not available, but a local guy comes to the beach almost daily. The surfing is great if you want to surf or learn to surf. The water, of course, is freezing, and so is the swimming pool. The hot tubs are like warm bath water and the jets didn't work. There are children in the hottubs all the time. They had local "gringos" playing live music, but on Valentine's Day, offered no music at all. The TV is on at the bar throughout the day, playing "classic" videos with American music. They do not offer any beautiful Mexican music at the bar or restaurant at any time. All in all, the trip was nice, but disappointing. I am a previous airline employee and have traveled a lot, and will continue to travel and review properties, but I would stay clear of this beach resort until the management decides to pay attention to details. Never once during our entire stay did anyone ask how our stay was or if we enjoyed ourselves. Don't get me wrong, the staff was very nice. The local staff that is. The Americans who work there are a bit arrogant. I won't return here, and I certainly could never recommend this property for a full price traveler. I guess if you get the deal we did...4 nights for $289 plus $66 in taxes, maybe you might think it is worth the trip. I, on the other hand, would prefer to stay in La Paz in one of their beautiful new properties.

Room Tip: We stayed in a two bedroom villa which looks beautiful in pictures, but beware of spiders in the bed...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank tgoody
CerritosBeach, Guest Relations Manager at Cerritos Surf Town, responded to this review, 20 February 2014
It is unfortunate that you did not get the authentic Mexican experience that most travelers to our resort get. Did you venture into the town of Todos Santos, it is great. Comments like "there are children in hot tubs at all times" are, in actuality, false. As you can understand, not everyone has children, but we do of course welcome them. We do offer Mexican Music is the restaurants and are staff will adjust it for guests needs. "Gringos" who perform are in fact locals who live in the Baja. If you would like to speak about your stay and explain your statement about the "American" workers being arrogant, we would like to hear why that you felt that why. Please do not hesitate to call.

Travellers are raving about these El Pescadero hotels

Jacksonville, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 February 2014 via mobile

We enjoyed our visit immensely! Don't come expecting this to be a pampered stay! Rented a car from Los Cabos Budget rental, this was biggest rip off on trip! They did not honor online pricing at all. Cost two hundred more! Creditors Surf had a classifying for us on our arrival. Clean and had a fridge and small cook top! Microwave and toaster were provided with small assortment of pans and dishes. Faced the ocean and had views of greatest sunsets and whale watching. Drinks are expensive at bar, food was good but moderately priced. Went shopping in Todos Santos about 6 or so miles away. Everyone takes dollars so no problem. Cooked in villa testosterone for fifth bucks. Pool was nice, hot tubs were too! Guests need to realize that children do not belong in hot tubs naked or in diapers! Yuck! Staff is helpful and maids asked daily if we needed service! Roof is thatched so if you are afraid of a mosquito or a fly or two this is not for you. Hot water takes a while but heated up no problem. No tv so had a great time with hubby enjoying his company and grabbing with neighbors. Went to Todos Santos for a day shopping and sightseeing! Ate at Tequila Sunrise and had best food ever! Lots to do but you need to look for it! If you like quiet times with someone and beautiful sunsets this is for you!

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Jamie B
Portland, Oregon
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 February 2014

My husband and I stayed in a studio unit that opened out onto a lawn with the beach and ocean just beyond. It was lovely. The only major problem we had was no hot water in our shower for the first 4 days. They fixed it within 24 hours once they were notified. Staff seemed very helpful.
We were staying with a large group for a wedding. Pretty much every room was given two bath towels which were not changed the entire week. I asked for some hand towels and we were given one hand towel and wash cloth. My daughter and her family ( 4) were also only given 2 bath towels. Ovens didn't work in the kitchen of the family suite because the pilot light was out. We used a lighter to get it to work.
The food was expensive and so were the drinks at $10 for a marguerita. The kitchen is a good idea but stop in Cabo to pick up groceries on your way to Cerritos.
We didn't pay extra for wifi as other reviews mentioned but it was only available at the bar area.
Pool was cool, hot tubs were hot but fairly merky.
The Hacienda is gorgeous and a great place to watch the sunset and the $10 charge for drinks is easier to take given the setting.
Overall I enjoyed the quiet and peace and the beautiful ocean view.

Room Tip: Book a room with a kitchen.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank mogonzales
Boulder, Colorado, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 January 2014

I wanted to wait a bit before writing a review of our stay here to make sure I gave an honest account of our stay, so here goes.
My sister-in-law purchased a deal on The Clymb for the Mayan resort next door, owned by the same owner as Cerritos Surf Colony and the adjacent Hacienda on the cliff. The Mayan resort was not yet completed so they graciously upgraded us to a villa in the surf colony. The room was spacious with a lovely bathroom and they gave us the option of renting an extra twin bed for $40, which we opted for. There was no safe in the room and when we were shown to our room we were told the resort was safe enough that we didn't have to worry about locking our sliding door (the only way in and out of the villa). While there we enjoyed 1 meal at the pool (our first day) but decided to eat in town the rest of our trip because the prices were so high on the resort. We wandered to the Hacienda (surf colony guests were allowed access to the pool/bar there and the views from the hacienda were impeccable so we spent most of our time there) and enjoyed the large pool and friendly bartender there.
Wifi was $30/A DAY and had to be prepaid for the duration of your stay -- the caveat was that it couldn't be reached from our villa so the only way we could access the internet was by sitting next to the pool. which sounds great on paper but is actually quite an inconvenience.
Our stay started off great, to be honest. We met the owner of the properties, who was a former MMA guy who offered timeshare opportunities if that was something we were interested in. He was not pushy whatsoever but was willing to cut us a deal if we acted quickly. We enjoyed exploring the grounds and ventured into town for our meals and found the secret locals beach, Las Palmas, where we had the entire beach to ourselves, save the local wild beach horses, of course. We enjoyed daily surf lessons from the surf shack on the beach and the swell in Cerritos is great for surfers of all levels.
We were supposed to stay 5-nights but only stayed for 3, due to the following incident:
Our 3rd night at the surf colony started out like the rest of our nights. We ate dinner in town and came back for margaritas at the hacienda. we returned to our villa and decided to enjoy a nighttime dip in the pool at our colony. there was no one in the pool and we felt safe, especially as we saw someone walking around the resort with a flashlight, scanning the area. we noticed lots of security during the day so we didn't give this much thought. the man shining the flashlight came towards us swimming in the pool and asked if we were okay or needed help with anything. He was a young causasian man in a polo shirt and swim trunks. To be fair, he was very handsome and soft-spoken so my sister-in-law and I never felt threatened or like we had any reason not to trust him. He told us he worked for the resort in the evenings and that his name was Chris. He chatted with us for a while and then proceeded to take his shirt off and got into the pool with us. This is where our red flags should've gone up but we were on vacation and didn't feel threatened, so we allowed it. We can accept fault for that.
Chris told us his life story, about how he lived in NYC, had a son and moved to Baja a few years ago. We felt very comfortable with him. We invited him for a beer on our villa porch and he gladly accepted. I was feeling a bit ill and went to the bathroom while my SIL had a beer with Chris on our front porch. I went to bed early and Chris left shortly after I went to bed. The next morning we woke up and needed to buy items from the local store. We went to where my SIL kept her wallet and our rental car keys AND THEY WERE GONE. We checked everywhere (including around our rental car) and both items were nowhere to be found. We went to the office to ask if we could get Chris' contact information, in case he accidentally picked them up as he was leaving our villa, and discovered that NO ONE BY THAT NAME WORKED FOR THE COLONY. This is where the panic started to set in. We informed the staff that he was walking around telling guests he worked there. The police were called and for whatever reason the owner recalled the man (after we gave him his description) and somehow knew where he lived so the police and my SIL went to his house while I waited outside of our villa.
The crazy thing is this Chris guy CAME BACK to the villa to check on us. This is when I told him that we knew he was lying and that the owner wanted to speak with him. He followed me to where the owner was eating by the pool and the 2 men got into a heated argument about 'Chris' lying to his guests and giving people a fake name (Chris was not his name, apparently). They got into a physical altercation and after calming down, talked a bit more and banned him from the property.
My SIL and I were moved to a different villa to make us feel safer but the damage had already been done. We were scared for our safety and booked tickets home the following day.
Yes, it was our choice to strike up a convo with the man but he told us he worked for the resort and was friendly and non-threatening. Our stay was pricey, but comfortable, which is why I gave them a total of 3 stars. The staff were apologetic about the entire incident, stating that they didn't have much security staff that night, which was why no one from their staff was patrolling the grounds and 'Chris' was able to get away with posing as a staff member. Also, despite paying for a full stay's wifi access and only staying 3 days, that money wasn't refunded and we weren't given any sort of hotel credit/consolation the last day we stayed there. They also asked that we write a good review for them, since most of their reviews were negative.
I have traveled to countless countries where a majority of the population lives below the poverty level and always have my wits about me. I know that Baja is a place to travel with care but the fact that our incident happened with an american expat is infuriating and gives the kind locals of Baja a bad rep. I would avoid staying here if you are traveling in a female-only group. We spoke to a couple staying there and they had a similar run-in (the same evening) with Chris but when Chris caught sight of her husband, he bolted. We believe this Chris guy was preying on women. Be careful. There are other places worth booking with.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
13 Thank Carmel U
Las Vegas, Nevada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 January 2014

This place is infested with weevils, we got into our room and it was literally covered with bugs and sawdust from the roof. We were told that they fall from the roof of every room but there were particularly numerous. They fumigated the room and we came back each day for three days and it was still full of disgusting bugs ALL over. They refused to refund me in full even though I did not stay at all in the villa and they told me at 10:30 pm that I should leave and go find my own room they were done helping me. I am contacting the health department and preparing a lawsuit. Do NOT stay here. The groupon deal seems like a good idea it's a huge ripoff you will get very sick.

• Stayed December 2013
9 Thank Cerritossucks
Frisco, Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 January 2014

My husband and I are very familiar with Pescadero and Cerritos Beach. While other friends have stayed at this well-situated hotel in the past, this was our first time actually staying there. The grounds are beautiful and the location is tops, but for the amount of $ to stay there without using a Groupon discount, or the like, we were left luke-warm.
Speaking of luke-warm, the pool and jacuzzis heater was broken and we were assured over the course of 3 days that someone was on their way to fix it, OR, they just put the heating on and it would warm up in 10 minutes. Never happened. Our friends stayed in an ocean front casita and their kitchen top stove only had 1 of 4 working burners; kind of a bummer when spending $200 a night and cooking a couple meals a day.
Don't expect any "deals" on food or drink at the Colony. Prices are stateside expensive. And from what I was told by a staff member, all coupons will be discontinued in the near future, and instead, you'll be able to purchase a muli-night package though the Colony that would make a one night stay average out to about $80.
I don't know. I really wanted to like this place, but it kind of lacks the local warmth in favor of foreign green.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Cerritos Beach Inn
Cerritos Beach Inn
#1 of 9 in El Pescadero
Cerritos Beach Hotel Desert Moon

Been to Cerritos Surf Town? Share your experiences!