“So much potential and yet so much to be desired!”
Review of Cerritos Surf Town

Cerritos Surf Town
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in El Pescadero
North Vancouver, Canada
“So much potential and yet so much to be desired!”
Reviewed 1 March 2014

We spent 4 nights at this hotel recently and to sum it up, all I can say is that it was disappointing. The location is great as it is out of the way of noisy Cabo and it is only 10 minutes from Todos Santos. The Cerritos beach is also a good place to relax and enjoy the sun. As other reviews have pointed out, when staying in an "off the grid" hotel, the expectation of accommodations should be lowered. However, the Surf Colony villas site has so many maintenance issues that it can leave anyone dumbfounded! Here is a list of the issues that we encountered during our stay:

- None of the hot tubs worked properly. Either the water was too cold or too hot or the jets were not working. Essentially the hot tubs became bath tubs!

- The shower’s hot water was on and off but mostly off.

- The toilets did not flush properly. We literally had to take off the toilet tank covers and manually pull the flushing mechanism to make them work!.

- The beds were hard and the pillows were of very poor quality.

- The bedding was very thin and just plain cheap and was not changed in four days.

- Even a small detail such as the main door was difficult to open as the key insert was too close to the door frame to the point that you had to use two hands to be able to unlock the door!

- Although we have no complaints about the quality of the food served at the Restaurants, if you eat there at night you will barely be able to see the food they serve as there is no proper lighting at night. All that they offer is a couple of tea candles! Sad indeed when you are paying $20 per meal!

- The music played at the Restaurant is what they call “Classic top 40” American music! I guess that listening to Madonna and the like appeals to somebody, but does this have to happen at 8:00 a.m. while having breakfast?

- Wi-Fi access was spotty and worked intermittently in the bar area. I normally would not care much about this but remember that you are “off the grid” and there is no phone or TV service in the Villas.

- The roofs in all the villas are made out of dried palm leafs called “palapa”. This is the material used by the poor in Latin America when they can’t afford a proper roof! It might look cute but at night when the bugs start getting thru the holes in the palapa the cute ends right there! If you suffer from any kind of allergies do not even consider this place as this type of roof can lead to allergic reactions.

Now on to the good things:

- The proximity to Todos Santos is great. That allowed us to go to this charming town every day.

- The service at the bar was very good. The food was good, a bit expensive but good.

- Access to “La Hacienda” was great to have as this is an amazing place to go for drinks when the sun is setting.

- The kitchen had newer working appliances. If you do come here you should make a stop at the Mega in Cabo and buy supplies for your stay.

- We had a two level Villa with a nice size balcony that we used every day to relax while having a drink.

- Parking is plentiful and we felt very safe during our stay.

In summary the location for this resort is excellent however the many discomforts of the property leaves a lot to be desired. If you don’t mind roughing it and you can get a good internet deal it might work out OK. Hopefully, the new managers eventually fix the many issues this property currently has. It has so much potential!

Room Tip: If possible get a waterfront Villa.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
13 Thank yvrgator
CerritosBeach, Guest Relations Manager at Cerritos Surf Town, responded to this review, 4 March 2014
The scores you gave us on our individual categories, seemed to be a little higher then your overall score of two, it sounds like you enjoyed many things about your stay. We will take your suggestions into consideration. The water is however something the entire surrounding area struggles with. Something like the music can be requested by any guest, the servers are happy to change a station for any guest. If you would like to discuss anything please do not hesitate to call us directly to voice any concerns. Thank you. 1-877-780-8951

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (164)
Ogden, Utah
Reviewed 26 February 2014

I thought the resort was excellent for a family vacation down to Cabo. We stayed in a spacious two bedroom villas that overlooks the ocean. Nothing over the top fancy just exactly what you need to experience Mexico. Patio chairs and table make easy to just sit there and enjoy the sun and waves. We traveled in a group of 9 and stayed in two villas, our the house keeper did not come due to we had the only key. Family members staying in the villa next to us complained of some lights being out and lack of hot water for the shower. The bar/grille is ok, we found the morning bartenders seemed a little bit happier to be serving us. We made breakfast everyday in the villa before heading out to experience coastal Mexico. We just went grocery shopping in the next town north of us. While the resort is about an hour north of Cabo the piece and quiet is well worth the drive. Really the only downside I could think of was the bed was really hard. The wi-fi is only available around the pool and bar area, not the fasted speeds but nice to check email while enjoying a drink. Overall the Cerritos Surf Colony was excellent place to experience Mexico nothing over the top or below expectation it was just right.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Cobra8150
Ogden, Utah
Reviewed 25 February 2014

I just got back last night with a group of 9. We had an amazing time and would go back tomorrow if we could. We had 2 villas and had a few issues, like the light bulbs were out and we never had our room cleaned or trash taken out. These were mirror issues. We saw no bugs, ants, or Mildew. I am starting to wonder if the problems are just certain villas. We ate at the bar almost every night and had a great experience. The prices were a little high but I expected that because it is a hotel restaurant. The hot tubs were warm one night but the other 5 nights they were hot.

After visiting the surf colony I would buy a ownership if I could.

Can't wait to tell everyone about this gem....

Room Tip: The only recommendation I would make would to bring a flashlight.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank janesecanto
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 22 February 2014

My wife and I just returned from our second trip to Cerritos in two years. We had a fantastic time and they seem to be on the right track. Our 5 star rating is heavily based on the price we paid and the location and vibe. There are still improvements that need to be made, but you can't beat the value. Now that the promotional price is over we will have to see what the rates look like before we decide if we will return.

You have to go in with the right expectations and you will thoroughly enjoy your time there. Va few keys:

(1) Get a car. There are great places to explore...Todo Santos, Playa de Palmas, etc.
(2) Make sure you stock up on the essentials on your way to the resort. The Walmart in Cabo is nice.
(3) You're right on the beach so you can expect some ants. Just use common sense and keep things in ziplock bags. Bring a few gallon size ones. Don't worry about the screen door during the winter months since there are no bugs.

We rented surf boards and took lessons from the Surf Shack - right on the beach in front of the hotel. The owner was great and provides his lessons based on what you want to achieve.

Hotel restaurant was great for lunch, but dinner was a bit expensive.

We ate a bunch of dinners at the Beach Club which is up the beach towards the Hacienda. This is a great location with amazing food and drinks. The tables are right on the beach. Make sure you get down their by 6:30 since the kitchen closes at 6:40. I would recommend the fish ceviche and the combo enchiladas. The sangria is refreshing.

A few recommendations for the resort staff. I think they made good changes from last year - more of a team approach to running the place. One area for improvement is overall knowledge of the area, restaurants and activities. The knowledge was limited and there wasn't one person that was dedicated to providing advice. If new places open the resort should make sure someone on their staff tries it out so they have first hand knowledge. Also, they need to provide some materials at check-in about the area - recommendations, must do's, eyc.

See my other reviews of the area for recommendations on restaurants and activities.

Room Tip: Try to get beachfront. The one bedrooms are nice.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Howie N
CerritosBeach, Guest Relations Manager at Cerritos Surf Town, responded to this review, 25 February 2014
Thank you for your review and suggestions for our future guests. We are currently working towards improving our communications with guest and informing them with great suggestions and knowledge for their trip! Thank you and we welcome you back to see them improvements on your next visit.
Missoula, Montana
Reviewed 18 February 2014

This really is a beautiful location and the exterior is beautiful and clean and well kept, the Chef is extraordinary. The rest is extremely sub par, the office staff was barely helpful with anything. The first night there was very cold, we went to the office the next day to ask for a blanket for each room as there were no extras in the rooms and they had one thin comforter on the beds, they said they check to see if they could find any, they finally found ONE!, really this is a luxury resort and they can't come up with a blanket. Neither of our rooms screen doors were usable, kept falling off the track or stuck so you couldn't open or close, we asked the office staff to fix them, but in 7 days they never showed up, we just didn't use the screens. Nothing could be left on the counter or it would be full of ants or spiders with in 15 minutes. Curtains were old and falling apart and falling off the rods, the ones in the bathroom were moldy. Asked housekeeping is she could change our towels, so she just took them, after 2 hours or so we went to the office to ask for more towels, they said they would look and see if they could find any (?? don't they have a place for linens) it was a 3 hour wait, they finally found some. Housekeeping did not clean, did not understand anything we asked them to do, I took the trash to the office to get it emptied one day, the dust on the ceiling fans was so thick and grouse we didn't dare turn them on, the bar staff is sooooooo slow, we had dinner one night in the DARK, we asked for a light or candle so we could see our meal and they brought us 2 small t-lights. After dinner we asked for the check, 30 minutes later and there were only 3 other tables with people at them, we still did not get our check, we left the table, they knew us and knew they'd come find us. They did and it took another 30 minutes to get it paid, credit cards really confused them. The hot tubs were freezing cold in the morning, when it was a nice temp that one would want to use them and then at least108 in the evening, literally too hot to sit in. The exceptional fitness room was a padded room for wrestling or kick boxing, nothing else, there was NO SPA. When checking out they told us we had 3 room charges from the bar, we knew we did not charge anything to our room and when questioned they could find them and said we were OK???? If this place had some TLC and a good manager it would really be a fabulous place to stay but stay away until then.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank K Michelle S
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 18 February 2014

My wife and I recently were back at Cerritos; we stayed last January for 4 nights, and again this January for 5 nights ( we bought a block of 10 nights). We obviously liked it enough to come back (despite some mild drawbacks), and I think its getting better.
The year prior, there were power and water black-outs, usually in the middle of the night. This time, there were no black-outs. We had a one bedroom villa, and it was fairly well equipped; we requested a blender and a coffee maker, and they provided them for us. the staff at Cerritos had a complete turnover, and its for the better; they are much more accommodating and much less defensive about any requests. example: a year prior, they charged $10/day for really spotty wifi that only worked around the pool. Now, its included, which is such the common sense thing to do. Still limited bandwith, but hey, you deal with it. They have daily housekeeping. There is now a shack out front where u can rent boogie boards and surf boards and get lessons. I rented a boogie board for 4 days, and loved it!
Read these reviews and come prepared. Rent a car. Buy your groceries in Cabo prior to coming to Cerritos. OMG, stop at Asi & Asado for tacos in Cabo beforehand and pick up enough tacos for the week. Buy your own booze and blend your own pina coladas. Take said pina colada to the beach. What else do you need?
If given a choice between one of the resorts in Cabo or Cerritos, i'll take Cerritos anyday. But it depends what you want. I love waking up to the ocean, make my own coffee in my villa, go out to beach to just stretch, read, and bop back and forth into the ocean. I can buy overpriced lunch or dinner, or make my own. I can drive 8 miles into Todos Santos and hang out there for the day if I want, its all super leisurely. And I don't have to fight over patio chairs or space or even be bothered by other people.
BTW, I didn't need a wetsuit to swim in the ocean. The ocean was warmer than the unheated swimming pool.
We liked it enough we extended our balance of rooms; we now have 10 more nights in a 2 bedroom villa to be used in the next 2 years, and we are super excited to be back next year.

Room Tip: Of course, request an oceanfront villa! But if not, the ones right behind them aren't bad.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Huda M
Guayaquil, Ecuador
Reviewed 16 February 2014

I purchased a four night stay through DoubleTake Coupons, and the deal was great! Plus we had three years to use the coupon. So, we waited two and a half years, to allow them to get their act together. I've been to Cabo before, traveled the world, and have lived in Latin America. This location has the infrastructure to be a nice destination, but the management just does not understand how to properly run a hotel. The toilets would not flush properly, the hot water was off and on, the hottubs (two of them) never worked the entire time. The food is expensive and the drinks are expensive too. You have access to the Hacienda, which is beautiful, and the whale watching was amazing, but we heard the Hacienda has the same issues with details. We stayed four nights, our bedding was never changed once. The villas are beautiful to look at with a great living room and kitchen, which I would totally recommend buying food and preparing it there. The roofs have bugs and spiders, and I found small golden spiders in my bed every night. The beds are hard, and the pillows of poor quality. The property advertises horses, para-sailing, etc., but none of these amenities belong to them. The horses were owned by a local man, who just happened onto the beach one day. The para-sailing is not available, but a local guy comes to the beach almost daily. The surfing is great if you want to surf or learn to surf. The water, of course, is freezing, and so is the swimming pool. The hot tubs are like warm bath water and the jets didn't work. There are children in the hottubs all the time. They had local "gringos" playing live music, but on Valentine's Day, offered no music at all. The TV is on at the bar throughout the day, playing "classic" videos with American music. They do not offer any beautiful Mexican music at the bar or restaurant at any time. All in all, the trip was nice, but disappointing. I am a previous airline employee and have traveled a lot, and will continue to travel and review properties, but I would stay clear of this beach resort until the management decides to pay attention to details. Never once during our entire stay did anyone ask how our stay was or if we enjoyed ourselves. Don't get me wrong, the staff was very nice. The local staff that is. The Americans who work there are a bit arrogant. I won't return here, and I certainly could never recommend this property for a full price traveler. I guess if you get the deal we did...4 nights for $289 plus $66 in taxes, maybe you might think it is worth the trip. I, on the other hand, would prefer to stay in La Paz in one of their beautiful new properties.

Room Tip: We stayed in a two bedroom villa which looks beautiful in pictures, but beware of spiders in the bed...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank tgoody
CerritosBeach, Guest Relations Manager at Cerritos Surf Town, responded to this review, 20 February 2014
It is unfortunate that you did not get the authentic Mexican experience that most travelers to our resort get. Did you venture into the town of Todos Santos, it is great. Comments like "there are children in hot tubs at all times" are, in actuality, false. As you can understand, not everyone has children, but we do of course welcome them. We do offer Mexican Music is the restaurants and are staff will adjust it for guests needs. "Gringos" who perform are in fact locals who live in the Baja. If you would like to speak about your stay and explain your statement about the "American" workers being arrogant, we would like to hear why that you felt that why. Please do not hesitate to call.

Travellers are raving about these El Pescadero hotels

#2 of 8 in Todos Santos
Hotel San Cristobal
Hotel San Cristobal
#6 of 8 in Todos Santos

Been to Cerritos Surf Town? Share your experiences!