We spent 4 nights at this hotel recently and to sum it up, all I can say is that it was disappointing. The location is great as it is out of the way of noisy Cabo and it is only 10 minutes from Todos Santos. The Cerritos beach is also a good place to relax and enjoy the sun. As other reviews have pointed out, when staying in an "off the grid" hotel, the expectation of accommodations should be lowered. However, the Surf Colony villas site has so many maintenance issues that it can leave anyone dumbfounded! Here is a list of the issues that we encountered during our stay:
- None of the hot tubs worked properly. Either the water was too cold or too hot or the jets were not working. Essentially the hot tubs became bath tubs!
- The shower’s hot water was on and off but mostly off.
- The toilets did not flush properly. We literally had to take off the toilet tank covers and manually pull the flushing mechanism to make them work!.
- The beds were hard and the pillows were of very poor quality.
- The bedding was very thin and just plain cheap and was not changed in four days.
- Even a small detail such as the main door was difficult to open as the key insert was too close to the door frame to the point that you had to use two hands to be able to unlock the door!
- Although we have no complaints about the quality of the food served at the Restaurants, if you eat there at night you will barely be able to see the food they serve as there is no proper lighting at night. All that they offer is a couple of tea candles! Sad indeed when you are paying $20 per meal!
- The music played at the Restaurant is what they call “Classic top 40” American music! I guess that listening to Madonna and the like appeals to somebody, but does this have to happen at 8:00 a.m. while having breakfast?
- Wi-Fi access was spotty and worked intermittently in the bar area. I normally would not care much about this but remember that you are “off the grid” and there is no phone or TV service in the Villas.
- The roofs in all the villas are made out of dried palm leafs called “palapa”. This is the material used by the poor in Latin America when they can’t afford a proper roof! It might look cute but at night when the bugs start getting thru the holes in the palapa the cute ends right there! If you suffer from any kind of allergies do not even consider this place as this type of roof can lead to allergic reactions.
Now on to the good things:
- The proximity to Todos Santos is great. That allowed us to go to this charming town every day.
- The service at the bar was very good. The food was good, a bit expensive but good.
- Access to “La Hacienda” was great to have as this is an amazing place to go for drinks when the sun is setting.
- The kitchen had newer working appliances. If you do come here you should make a stop at the Mega in Cabo and buy supplies for your stay.
- We had a two level Villa with a nice size balcony that we used every day to relax while having a drink.
- Parking is plentiful and we felt very safe during our stay.
In summary the location for this resort is excellent however the many discomforts of the property leaves a lot to be desired. If you don’t mind roughing it and you can get a good internet deal it might work out OK. Hopefully, the new managers eventually fix the many issues this property currently has. It has so much potential!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Cerritos Surf Colony is located on world famous Cerritos Beach with a reputation frequently noted in Surfer Magazine for champion surfing. Cerritos Beach is the best beach in Cabo, and voted first runner up in Los Cabos Magazine! Cerritos Surf Colony is a neighbor to both the Hacienda Cerritos Boutique Hotel (a majestic mansion hotel located on a private cliff at the shore of the ocean), and the celebrity frequented hot spot Cerritos Beach Club & Surf where you can get surfing lessons, board rental, and great food.Cerritos Surf Colony is a beach front resort of Mayan inspiration and thatched palm roofs. The free standing studio, one, two, and four bedroom villas are solar energy assisted. Enjoy our amazing swimming pool and bar, surf the waves out your back door , climb the Sierra de la Lagunas, explore the artist colony of Todos Santos, or just lay back in your own palm shaded hammock.ATV rental, horseback riding, kayaking, fishing, art gallery walks, hiking Triple Waterfall, Voluntourism, massage, are just some of the things to enjoy here in Baja California. Los Cerritos provides simplicity, tranquility and a break from city life that you have been longing for. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com and Booking.com so you can book your Cerritos Surf Town reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Cerritos Surf Colony Hotel El Pescadero
- Cerritos Surf Town El Pescadero, Mexico - Todos Santos