“Calm and Relaxing Baja”

Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in El Pescadero
Chicago, Illinois
“Calm and Relaxing Baja”
Reviewed 31 March 2014

I just got back back from a 6 night stay in a 1 bedroom villa with 2 adults. All in all, we had an amazing time here but did have a few hiccups here and there. I'll try my best to give an honest opinion of our stay here.

Note: We did have a groupon type deal and if we paid full price for our stay, my rating would go down to average. You could stay at a very nice resort for similar prices.

First off, you definitely have to adjust your expectations before you get here. This is not a fancy resort by any means and again, I would not pay resort prices to stay here. However, the villas have their own charm and there is something great about being around people who aren't high maintenance about everything. All of the guests and families were very relaxed and friendly for the most part.

Getting There:

On our way there we missed the turn to get on Highway 19 and found ourselves lost in Cabo for a few hours. Don't miss the turn! Map out your drive before you get here. Definitely rent a car as well as El Pescardero is a close enough drive to La Paz, Cabo San Lucas, San Jose Del Cabo, and Todos Santos and it would be very difficult to get around without it. Be aware that most of the area, including the entrance to Cerritos are dirt paths. You can manage it with an economy car, but make sure you get here during the day time because it is intimidating at first.

Management and Housekeeping:

Once we were finally there we got settled into our villa, #9. It had an ocean front view and was right next to the pool. I would definitely recommend asking for it. Later in the evening, we were told that they accidentally doubled booked our room and that we would have to move out to the opposite end in the back corner the next morning. We had a long stressful day and really had a problem with this. Thankfully, after speaking with Gabriel who helps manage the property we were able to stay in our villa. He was really understanding and patient when we were cranky. I did think it was poor planning but that wasn't Gabriel's fault at all. I also spilled a bunch of our beer and they provided me with everything I needed to clean up the glass right away. Also, housekeeping was great and came every day. Don't forget to leave a tip for them! If you want your sheets changed or towels changed you need to go to the office to ask for it. Not a big deal at all. There is also a security guard on staff who is there early in the morning to late at night. Not sure if or when he leaves.

Another minor problem that happened towards the end of our trip was puzzling to me. A villa close to ours was playing music pretty loudly and I woke up to it around midnight. We'd been used to silence up til then except for the waves. The party that was going on was pretty loud and obnoxious but it was a Friday night, was only midnight, and I figured it would be ending soon so I put some ear plugs in and went back to bed. My boyfriend and I are young and can understand that people want to have a good time on vacation. What baffled me was when I woke up again around 3:00 a.m. and they were STILL at it. The music was so loud I thought it was coming from the pool speakers and not a villa itself. As I was finally ready to tell them to turn it down, we head someone speaking to them and they turned the music off. Either it was someone else from a villa or the security guard. If there was a security guard on staff, the music should have been turned down a lot earlier than that. It's a very family friendly place and I'm sure many parents had to deal with some cranky children who didn't get enough sleep because Snoop Dog was blasting into the wee hours of the morning. I'm sure this is an infrequent occurrence though based on the type of people that were there the other days.

Other than those minor details, the staff was wonderful and very accommodating and they made our stay very pleasant.

Cerritos Surf Colony also plans some pretty great entertainment throughout the week. A single Eli Manning comes multiple times throughout the week and plays some great cover songs. It was nice to hear live music. They also had a bonfire on Wednesday on the beach and though we didn't partake in it, it looked really cool.

The Villas:

The villa itself was comfortable. It gets cold at night but they had an extra quilt in the dresser. There was plenty of storage in the bedroom if you want to unpack all your clothes. The kitchen had minimal utensils and plates, but we came prepared and made do with what we had. It was really nice to be able to cook breakfast and lunch at our leisure to save on money. We got our groceries at the Mega on our way down and bought a boogie board as well for about $11. It was better than renting one each day. There are some problems with the villa. Our screen door was broken and part of the outside was peeling though that isn't too much of a problem. One of the drawers smelled really bad but we just took everything out of it we needed and never opened it again. There are tiny bugs all over the place and little spiders (I'm talking very very little) to came out of the sink when the water was turned on. This wasn't a big deal to us at all but if you don't like bugs you may want to stay somewhere else. Parts of the netting that kept bugs out were ripped so we got bit by mosquitoes every night. Again, not a big deal. I'm a little itchy right now but we just learned to wear bug spray to bed. We had a gecko sneak in through the ceiling one day but he was harmless and went back the way he came as soon as he saw us. I brought a mosquito net just in case, but the bugs weren't bad enough for us to use it. We always had hot water for showers as well.

The beach and surrounding area:

Overall, we had an absolute blast and had everything we needed to relax and unwind. The day beds were great to use during the day and the atmosphere was relaxed. We went in the pool and had a great time and saw a few people use the swim up bar. The water isn't heated but it wasn't cold. The kids that were staying there loved it! One side of it was a little dirtier than the other but we avoided that side and were fine. Only one hot tub heats up and both are a bit dirty. We didn't stay in it long but it was nice to go in at night and watch the stars. The ocean is cold so if you plan on surfing or boogie boarding bring some swim shirts and shorts for the kids. The waves are a little rough so families with young children should use caution. It was a blast to boogie board and ride the waves though.

The view is phenomenal to wake up to every day. I can't tell you how lucky we felt to see the waves as we ate breakfast on our porch. Watching the sunset was something I'll never forget and being able to see all the stars was amazing. Being so close to nature was definitely the best part of our trip. If you have a chance, go up to La Hacienda on the cliff and watch the sun set. It was great to relax up there with a drink by the pool. The pool and bar are open to Cerritos Surf Colony guests.

There was spotty wifi near the bar but we were close enough to it that we could use it in our villa. We didn't come to Cerritos Surf Colony to be on our phones and internet all day, so we mostly used it for looking things up and checking emails that we needed for day trips.

The bar and grill at the Surf Colony had a great food, but be prepared to pay normal American prices. We really enjoyed the coconut fish and chipotle fish.They do run out of some items as well so be flexible.

While you're at the surf colony you can rent surf boards and boogie boards and get lessons. You can also get massages, go horseback riding, and some other things as well. We planned trips though La Sirena and Todos Santos Eco Tours and those absolutely made our trip. I would recommend booking in advance.

Todos Santos and El Pescadero:

Another very important aspect of Cerritos Surf Colony is its proximity to El Pescadero and Todos Santos. My parents always tell me about how great Mexico "used to be" and I never thought I would be able to witness that in a safe town. This is exactly how I always envisioned it and the area exceeded my expectations. It was the perfect temperature (never too hot), had beautiful deserts that were great for hiking and wonderful beaches that were great for surfing. I can't begin to explain how beautiful it is here. We went horseback riding though the desert and on the beach and it is something I'll never forget. We also got to see endangered turtle hatchlings make it to the ocean to begin their lives at sea. This is open to the public through La Sirena and Francesca does an amazing job of educating people on turtle life.

Todos Santos and El Pescadero are cute little towns with many hidden treasures. There are great art galleries and amazing restaurants (I'm providing reviews for those individual places as well). We did not have a bad meal while we were here and being from Chicago, we're huge foodies and love to eat.

Cerritos Surf Colony has the best location and I believe that is the main reason people choose to stay here. The people that run the colony are very sweet as well. If the surf colony continues to make improvements it can be a really really great hotel. We look forward to returning one day and hope the area can stay the way it is. Thanks for an amazing vacation!

Feel free to message me with more questions! I'm more than willing to help people enjoy their time as best as they can :)

Room Tip: Room #9 was great! It has an ocean view and is right next to the pool area
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
9 Thank Olivia M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (163)
Arvada, Colorado
Reviewed 28 March 2014

Stayed 5 nights in a 2 bdrm villa, 4 adults, 2 kids. Nice size villa with full kitchen. Problem: the kitchen supplies.Not enough utensils for the 6 of us to have one meal, each morning we made breakfast and ate in shifts, washing dishes in between. Only 3 coffee mugs and no wine glasses, etc. They could improve without much expense.
As other reviewers mentioned, this is not luxury lodging and there are issues with water and power. We knew this going in and it really didn't cause any major problems with our trip. They don't launder your linens during your stay, but this also is OK with me, understanding the situation with water.The pools and hot tubs cold use some attention, mainly hot tub issues, dirty.
The beachfront location is nice and breezy, too rough for kids to swim in, but surfing is the attraction here. We had drinks up at the Hacienda deck, very nice and scenic.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Angie O
Salem, Oregon
Reviewed 27 March 2014 via mobile

Great surfing lessons at the shack on the beach. Scott Flores and his crew had us standing up on the first day.
The ambience is great, very nice pool, good basic cabanas. Dogs allowed! Nice neighborhood ,restaurants nearby, Cabo and it's distractions 35 minutes by excellent four lane freeway. On the way back to Cabo, do not miss Art and Beer, the eclectic gallery with bar restaurant, their own brand of Jalisco Tequila.What might seem high prices, until you see the quantity, and taste the quality. E.g. A 32 oz blackberry margarita...yup. Don Alfredo and his lovely wife Lourdes are the hosts,and enchanting conversationalists . If you are bored...you can surf fish with light tackle for Sierra,walk on the beach for miles, run your dogs,kayak fish, cycle.This area is an antidote to the somewhat toxic Cabo scene, though it is within reach if you need it....e.g. Costco,etc.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Edward E
CerritosBeach, Guest Relations Manager at Cerritos Surf Town, responded to this review, 4 June 2014
Thank you for the authentic review, you have named some of the best highlights of the area! We agree that Scott is the best surf instructor!! We appreciate your suggestions to our valued guests.
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 25 March 2014 via mobile

I just returned from my second stay at Cerritos Surf Colony and I am planning right now to return next February. This is the ideal place if you want to visit other areas such as La Paz, Todos Santos, or Cabo; need a relaxing,spacious, beautiful place accessible to all those places. The Colony consists of individual villas that border one of the most beautiful beaches in all of Mexico. It's impossible to get inferior accommodations here. If you want to experience the beauty of the Baja, this is the ideal place. Do your homework and research all the areas and sites nearby and venture. I went to two different locations to see whales and both were dreams come true.
Because I am aware of what there is to see and where to go, I don't require much assistance from staff in that area. In things I did need help with, extra towels etc., they were very accommodating.
On both my visits I met the owner, Roger, who is friendly, very personable and a great conversationalist. He is full of stories about the area, how it was before he developed it etc.The place could use a few Roger clones : )
Bottom line, I love the place. It's the closest thing to renting a house on a fabulous beach. Did I mention the large pool area, the hot tubs, the restaurant, the king sized beds that surround the pool and some that face the beach? Maybe next writing after my 3rd visit.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Carmen L
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 19 March 2014

Recently stayed here with my family and friends. We stayed in Villa32 right beside the office. We were originally upset about being back in the second row of villas not able to see the ocean but being right beside the pool and restaurant was pretty convenient.

Free wifi is offered by the pool and restaurants and since we were right beside the pool we could connect to wifi from our villa which was a plus since I had to work while I was visiting. That being said there was a wind storm and the wifi didnt work for the remainder of my trip (4 days) ...

Food wasnt anything special and was over priced. Food was a little cheaper at the pool vs down the beach ($10 vs 20 for breakfast) Too many flies at the pool restaurant to sit there comfortably and The restaurant at the beach has weird hours. Opens late and closes around 6:30. But since our villa had a full kitchen we chose to make our own food. We came from Cabo San Lucas and rented a car and then stopped at Costco on our way over. Todos Santos is about 10 minutes away so Im sure you could shop there for food as well. They dont offer grills or bbqs because we all have Palapa roofs (Leaf roofs) so keep in mind when shopping for food.

Drinks are pretty over priced as well. Paid $25 for two drinks down the beach but you can purchase a reusable red water bottle for $2 and then mix your own drinks and bring it anywhere around the resort.

Resort didnt offer too many activities. I had asked about whale watching but they said I would have to go to Cabo San Lucas for whale watching for $80 per person which is about an hour and a bit drive away. If you are in Cabo or San Jose go whale watching there.. it is way cheaper- $35 per person. Surf lessons are 60 dollars and board rental is between 20-35 depending on how many days you rent it for. Bring your own Rash Gard or wet suit as the surf shop didnt have any... Beautiful beach though!

I have read in negative reviews that people had problems with bugs, receiving hot water and towels. I did not see a single bug in our villa, no problem with hot water and we had plenty of towels. there was a huge wind storm one day and our Palapa roof broke, but they fixed it right away. Our Villa was big and beautiful beds were comfortable but a little hard. the duvet was very thin and had to ask for a thicker one since we were cold that night.

One thing that bothered me was that none of the staff seemed to know anything about the resort or its surroundings and were not interested in helping the guests.

Room Tip: Bring your own food and booze.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank lilTinyTraveler
Millbrae, California
Reviewed 16 March 2014 via mobile

What a great spot on the beach! The 2 bedroom was spacious for four and very clean- the accommodations aren't posh, but they were very comfortable for us (mid 30s-40s) whereas we all noted our elderly parents would have complained about the steep stairs or tiled shower. The restaurant is a little pricey and ran out of a few things, but the food was very tasty. It's great to relax near the pool, or pop into Todos Santos if you want to be around more people.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Cheryl0024
Omaha, Nebraska
Reviewed 13 March 2014

Cerritos Surf Colony is a great place to stay, overall. The location is simply beautiful.
The only major room issue was the lack of hot water. It took quite a while to warm up and once it did it only stayed that way for about five minutes. Each unit has its own tank less water heater, so if you go and have trouble just ask to have the tank adjusted.
They should also put a floor mat at the entrance of each villa to cut down on the sand that gets tracked in.
We had NO problem with bugs...zero...nada. Bought a can of bug spray and did not have to use it at all. No problems with the roof, either. The Maid service came everyday and they gave us clean towels every time we asked. The King size mattress was a bit firm but slept great, especially to the sound of the waves. Pillows nice, and big!!
Having a kitchen was terrific. We mostly cooked for ourselves. When we did venture out for meals they were always good. But remember it is Mexico so the service is a bit slow.
The pool was nice. Not heated which was fine with me. Jets in one of two hot tubs worked. Both were warm, though. 24 hour security staff on duty and we never felt unsafe the whole time there.
Walk up to the Hacienda to watch the sunset.
Two areas of concern not directly related to Surf Colony. DO NOT use Dollar Rent-A-Car at the airport. Very deceptive in their tactics and the way they force you to buy the insurance for $60.00 a day. If they were in the U.S. they would probably be investigated for fraud. Upon check out we observed other customers checking in who were experiencing the same issue we had. DO NOT, DO NOT, DO NOT use them. Did I say DO NOT use them enough?? Contact me if you want a further explanation.
The other area is related to the Surf Shack. We did no activities there except try to book a four hour whale watching excursion with Scott for $140.00. Due to "ocean swells" at Cerritos Scott referred us to Body Glove Catamaran and "Capt. Cortez" (a personal friend of his) in Cabo San Lucas. DO NOT use Body Glove Catamaran and Capt. Cortez, despite what Scott at the Surf Shack tells you. Waste of time and money. Our 10:00 a.m. departure time left a half hour late due to a no-show couple Cortez waited for (he already had our money, what did he care), we saw one quick glimpse of a whale's tail from over 200 yards away and were back in port less than two hours later!! Why so fast? Because Cortez had booked another tour for 12:30!!! We were SO PISSED!!! Whale watching was the number one thing on our list of things to do on this trip. Later we found out Cortez only charges $100 per couple. Scott told us $140.00 so he could pocket $40 bucks. I gave him an extra $20 for his help, not knowing at the time that he had already pocketed $40 from us. I don't mind paying for services, but don't like being lied to.
We would definitely go back to the Surf Colony if the opportunity presents itself. In fact, the owner of the Surf Colony (who happened to be there when we checked out) said come back and he would personally take us out whale watching for the ENTIRE day. Good Guy who is really trying to make the place a top notch destination for travelers.

Room Tip: Ocean View Room Is Wonderful.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Cerritos Beach Inn
Cerritos Beach Inn
#1 of 9 in El Pescadero
Cerritos Beach Hotel Desert Moon

Been to Cerritos Surf Town? Share your experiences!