“Fantastic Sushi and Company”
Review of Carlito's

Carlito's
Ranked #4 of 23 Restaurants in El Pescadero
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Ladera Ranch, California
“Fantastic Sushi and Company”
Reviewed 26 February 2013

My wife and I visited Carlito's after reading the reviews on TripAdvisor. The reviews are mostly correct - the place is not fancy at all but is cozy and outdoors. The owners have a lovely dog named 'King Kong' that seems to run the place. We are dog people so we loved this, but the owners were constantly asking if we wanted King Kong to go away as they wanted to make sure we were happy. What an ambassador for our meal, we loved the little guy!

As for the meal itself, it was wonderful. The sushi is on the level of many much more expensive arm-and a leg joints in LA that we have attended. It is NOT cheap, but the quality cannot be hidden. Highlights were the yellowtail sashimi and the steamed grouper.

We will be back - it's quite a treat when you are looking to break the chain of constant Mexican food meals when on vacation. I highly recommend this restaurant as the food and friendly atmosphere were a hit for both of us.

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank Ocbuff

New York City, New York
“Delicious!”
Reviewed 21 February 2013

We had a very good experience at Carlito's Place.
You can tell that Carlitos, the chef /owner feels very passionate about cooking. He is a very talented chef that uses only the freshest of ingredients. His cuisine of mexican with asian influence is delicious.
The atmosphere is relaxed. The restaurant is under a beautiful palapa. It can get a bit cold at night during the winter, but if you tell them they will gladly provide you with some warm blankets.
The sashimi we tried was so fresh it felt like it had literally been brought directly from the beach just a hundred meters away.
The only downside was that it is very expensive.

• Visited February 2013
Greeley, Colorado
“Do it Carlito's way!”
Reviewed 2 February 2013

Dropped in for an early dinner on the way to Todos Santos for the Music Festival and were the only customers - wonderful!!! After a warm welcome from King Kong we continued to be treated special. Carlito waited on us and not really knowing what to expect he asked us if we wanted to do it "Carlito's way". We said we were in and the plates got better and better! I heard and see several comments about the price, but I didn't feel that at all - we drank Martini's and ate a "one of a kind" meal - will be back again!

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank stonecutter53
San Diego
“Glad we tried and will go back”
Reviewed 5 January 2013

HOWEVER, it was a little over priced for what we ordered. We actually stumbled upon this restaurant in Pescadero and were very surprised at the great ambiance and the fact that is it a Sushi bar and Asian Fusion restaurant. The sushi menu mainly consists of rolIs and there is not an actual sushi bar there, but it is very nice and clean with a cool vibe. The menu looked awesome and we love sushi so we decided to give it a try and splurge a little. We started off with a grapefruit martini for me and hubby ordered the recommended mango margarita. Both of which were very tasty but I assumed my "martini" would include Vodka as the main ingredient but am not sure if there were any spirit of any kind in it. Maybe i just paid $80p for a martini glass of pink grapefruit juice - I don't know... but it looked pretty. Here are the reasons why I am giving it three stars: 1.) the sushi rolls that we ordered (King Kong roll and spicy yellowtail roll) were tasty but too much rice and not enough of the yummy stuff in the middle. 2.) it is a little over priced for what you get. If the rolls were off the hook good, I would have bumped it up to a four star. 3.) I thought Carlito was a little rude. I was a little put off by the fact that there was a table behind us and he was sitting down with them talking and yucking it up, and when it came time for my husband to ask a questions as he was walking by, he barely gave hime the time of day. AND THEN, when Carlitos's very nice girlfriend was at our table and we were asking her about something else on the menu, Carlito shouted out from the other table to her to get them three different kind of drinks and interrupted us as if our conversation with her was not as important as what he had to say for his table. Whatever - just not good manners.
We only had a small sampling of what was on the menu so I would like to go back and give it another try. The food seems very fresh and the spicy yellowtail roll was very good with super fresh fish. Also, the stuffed pepper as an appetizer is delish and served with a beautiful presentation in this crazy good ginger cream sauce. BUT for $60 for ONE pepper (I could have eaten at least two and so could my husband) but that would have set us back for $240 p! for FOUR tiny peppers. Me thinks not. We're not cheapies but common, at least give us the correct value or even close for our money and if its good, bring it on. Overall, I would say it was an enjoyable experience and I would like to give it another try - and will be reporting back. - hopefully at a higher rating.

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank Loretanamama
Arlington
“Interesting experience but expensive.”
Reviewed 26 December 2012

This is a small out of the way place which was an enjoyable experience but also very expensive given the location. Some of the food was excellent, some average.

• Visited December 2012