“My stay here was unforgettable!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Mayan Village Resort

Mayan Village Resort
Richmond, Virginia
“My stay here was unforgettable!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2014

I was with 3 of my sorority sisters for a relaxing, off-the beaten-path spring break trip. We purchased our stay on Groupon. Check-in was easy. We arrived very late at night from the La Paz airport, but the resort was easy to find. Finding our cabana was the greatest challenge, as they aren't numbered. Everything we needed was on the resort or along the beach, but it was worth renting a car to go into town to explore, get cash, etc. the resort recommends a 4WD but we were able to easily get to the resort along its sand road in a tiny Nissan Sedan (which is MUCH cheaper than renting a jeep). the staff was super helpful and accommodating the entire time. It was a great low key spring break destination because the resort was filled with younger people (early-mid 20s) and its location was STELLAR! It was a quick drive into town and we were able to go into Cabo for a night. It also was one of the safest vacations any of us have taken! Our parents were not thrilled to see we were staying in hits with glass doors, but we had absolutely no problems and felt totally comfortable the entire time. I honestly cannot say enough good things about my stay here!! The cabanas were clean and the bathrooms were well-maintained. There isn't any hot water, so we found that showering at around 2 or 3 PM worked best if cold water bothers you. I highly recommend this trip to anyone looking for a low maintenance vacation!

• Stayed March 2014
1 Thank Becksb123
CerritosBeach, Guest Relations Manager at Mayan Village Resort, responded to this review, 18 June 2014
Sounds like a great spring break trip, we hope you can make it every year. The pictures you shared of your experience visiting us is appreciated! We are glad that you felt safe, and were able to take a break from the books for awhile. Thank you for sharing your tips and please write up a review if you ate at our sister resort the surf colony.

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Corona de tucson
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2014

My wife & I stayed here for a week back in November 2013 after receiving an Amazon Local offer. We had a small thatched palapas (cabana) with 2 end tables, chest of drawers, fridge & a ceiling fan. The bathrooms and showers are in a common area. Hot water was a luxury, unless we happened to shower right after the heat of the day when the water in the pipes was heated. The experience reminded me a lot of camping. Our philosophy is that we don't spend a lot of time in our room when we're on vacation, so we look for comfortable & affordable places to stay. The other guests were friendly and we could be as social as we chose to be. Our palapas provided a great view of the pool and the ocean beyond. The adjoining Cerritos Surf Colony provided free wifi, a larger pool, ocean-view lounging areas, hot tub, a restaurant and a fully stocked swim-up bar. Overall, the service was awesome! The manager of the palapas area put the "customer" in customer service. I saw him repeatedly stop doing his work to help a customer, answer questions and provide some local color. Every morning, he would brew coffee and stop by to fill my cup. The food at at the outdoor restaurant was varied and very good. The waiters were attentive and very engaging. I took surf lessons while I was there for $65, and the instructor was very patient as it took me a while to get up on the board. I also rented a board for half a day later in the week. I was amazed that there were people surfing all during the day...literally. From the time that I got up until after sunset, there are people surfing. The water is warm, clear and beautiful. By the way, the sunsets are awesome, especially when sitting on the beach. I was a bit surprised by the high cost of the food & drinks in the area. So, we took a run into Todos Santos and El Pescadero to pick up some local snacks, breakfast items, purified water (yes, we checked the labels carefully) and some drinks to keep the expenses in check. We spent a good amount of time relaxing either on the beach or by the pool. And, having wifi enabled me to check my emails, which is important to me as a sole proprietor. We're looking forward to going back this November & hope to catch the baby sea turtles making their way to the ocean.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Your detailed review id full of a lot of great views and tips for future guests, thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We are so glad you enjoyed yourself and our friendly staff. Cerritos Beach is one of a kind and the experience at the mayan is the same. It is a true escape fro the norm, it is a chance to unplug and take a real break. Thank you sincerely, come back and visit us!
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2014

Discovered the Mayan Village Resort on Amazon Local. The deal was seven days for $289 U.S.--a great deal! The accommodations are no frills--small, thatched palapas equipped with a bed, a couple of end tables and a fridge. They are located right on the beach just feet from the ocean itself. The location sold me. I loved falling asleep to the sound of the waves, watching the sun rise and set and running along the surf.

Yes, it's communal restrooms, the palapas are close together, and it's cold showers (although if you wait till around 2 or 3 in the afternoon it was not nearly as cold and actually quite refreshing), but that was fine, after all, we were staying directly on the beach at a fraction of what they were paying next door at the Cerritos Surf Colony. We also had access to the amenities at the Cerritos Surf Colony. We used the outdoor beds, the hot tub, pool and restaurant. The live music was also quite good.

There are some beautiful spots along Cerritos Beach to explore. Go up to the Hacienda Cerritos, have a drink and hike down to a beach spot surrounded by rocks. The water here is bluer/turquoise and the sand perfect. Take a hike through some of the cactus covered mountains.

I would caution that travel and eating are not cheap. Almost all the places in the area are owned by Americans and Canadians and the prices reflect that. You will have to search for the locally-owned places with the reasonable prices. Since the palapa has a fridge it is worth considering stopping in Cabo at Costco or a grocery store on your way and getting some stuff to save some cash. Which brings me to travel. Renting a car is not cheap either, but you need one even of you plan to just stay at the resort as it is quite a distance away from the airports. It would be great if the owners offered shuttle services for a fee to the airports and nearby Todos Santos.

Since you will have a car, take advantage of it and drive to La Paz and check out the lovely beaches on the Sea of Cortez. Balandra Beach is not to be missed with its white sand and clear water never deeper than waist high.

This place is worth a try.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Begreendc
Tucson, Arizona
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2014

I'd be happier if they were more honest about the resort! OK, it's camping in a thatched yurt with a refrigerator and electric lights. An eco-lodge? no! Off the grid? no! Salt water pool? no! No hot water?, well, they got that one! Solar power - only on the walkway lights, $10 per dozen at Home Depot - which is, by the way, 30 minutes away in Cabo. Fresh water is trucked in daily and tanked - provides running water in the bathrooms and irrigation for rather extensive landscaping.
Natural/local construction materials? only the thatching. Everything is on slabs or elevated platforms. This is the low-rent segment of the Cerritos Surf Colony next door where they have hot tubs, pool bar, and hotel units - at US prices - and a bit further from the Hacienda Cerritos (the High-rent district) with its infinity pools and mock-Spanish decor.
Given all that, it's reasonably quiet, remote, and a few cuts above wilderness camping; but, an Eco-lodge it isn't.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Synchromy
Edwards, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2014

I booked my stay through The Clymb and received an incredible deal for seven nights at the Mayan Village Resort. I must admit that upon booking the vacation, I was a bit nervous about the potential conditions of the resort; however, after arriving on the first day of my trip, I knew that I had discovered an unspoiled piece of paradise. Jorge, the groundskeeper/maintenance man for the resort, greeted me upon my arrival and quickly oriented me around the property. The room had two night stands with lamps, a chest-of-drawers, queen bed, refrigerator, and ceiling fan. Two windows on either sides of the sliding glass door could be opened to allow the cool sea breeze to blow through day and night. The room was simple, but most of my time was spent laying on the lounge chairs in front of my room soaking up the sun or swimming/surfing in the Pacific. Amenities at the neighboring Surf Colony were included in my stay. If I wanted to relax in the hot tubs or use WiFi to post the hundreds of pictures I took onto social media, the Surf Colony was just a few steps away.

If you are debating on taking a surf lesson, I highly recommend it. Rudy was an excellent instructor that had me riding waves on my own almost instantly. $65 dollars included an hour long private lesson, a wet suit, and access to all of their surf boards to use throughout the day. If you only wanted to rent a board, the cost was $30 for the day.

The palapas are close to each other, but the soothing sound of the crashing waves is what lulled me to sleep each night and was the first thing that I heard as I woke up each morning. The showers did not have any hot water, but if you choose to shower between 3 - 5 in the afternoon, the water feels great, and you have the unique experience of looking up to a blue sky while the sun shines down on you -- an amazing experience.

El Pescadero is a very short drive from the resort, and Todos Santos is only about 10 minutes away. The two towns have great personality and the locals were all quite friendly. For the best chile rellenos, visit Miguel's in Todos Santos...la comida es muy bueno!

This is not the kind of place for someone that has 5-Star accommodations in mind. That being said, this was one of the most enjoyable and relaxing vacations that I have taken in a very long time. The staff was friendly and helpful. The guests that I met were all quite friendly and sociable. The palapas were clean and cozy. The location is beyond incredible. I can't wait to go back to the Mayan Village Resort, and I will continue to recommend it to my friends and family. Thanks Magda, Dee, and Jorge for an incredible time!

Room Tip: Rooms 1, 2, 18, & 19 are the end units. They are nice and quite, but a longer walk to the bathr...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Scott H
"An unspoiled piece of paradise" is a great description of our Mayan Village. Thank you for the title a Hidden Gem as well, we treaty appreciate when we find the right fir in guests and they scan enjoy themselves. Any pictures to share of your experience on Cerritos Beach is always appreciated!
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2014

My husband (king of the "best travel deal") surprised me with this trip for Christmas. Of course I went immediately to Trip Advisor to read the reviews, some of which were obviously written by people who hadn't done their research in advance, and complained about the cold showers, noise, communal bathrooms, etc. The truth is, if you're looking for a reasonably priced, low impact, and very restful vacation in a lovely place, this is it. The individual palapas are situated on a beautiful uncrowded beach, with pretty landscaping all around. There is not a lot of space between the individual palapas, but we never heard any body else and we found other guests to be respectful and friendly too. Yes, you do have to walk a few feet to a communal bath and shower facility (separated for men and women), and yes, the showers are cold water, but the facilities are kept spotlessly clean. And as my husband said, if you want to travel lightly in an area where water is especially precious, cold showers make sense because they are short! You also have access to the pool and restaurant right next door at the Cerritos Beach Surf Colony. We learned to surf, enjoyed some good dinners out (Fonda El Zaguan in Todos Santos, - muy bueno!) and had an all around great time. We stopped at Costco in Cabo San Lucas on the way in and picked up beer, fruit, water, breakfast stuff, etc. which worked out fine since there is a small fridge in the palapa. Jorge and his wife Luz do a fantastic job managing the Mayan Village, and all the staff we interacted with were helpful and pleasant. Great coffee right up the road at Baja Beans in Pescadero too.

Room Tip: We stayed in #19, at the farthest end closest to the Surf Colony, on the ocean front. Nice!
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Holly H
Los Gatos, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2014

We bought an Amazon local deal and the room cost about $50/night which was very reasonable. The location was great. Cerritos beach is a long, long beach and we never did walk from one end to the other. The facility was kept very, very clean. I never even saw an insect. I knew that no one was going to change our sheets or towels but I was a little disappointed that no one ever swept out the cabana because it is impossible to not drag sand in when you are right on the beach. We did use the pools at both the Cerritos Surf Colony and the very beautiful Hacienda Cerritos. It was nice to have access to these facilities. They often had music on the beach and the quality of the musicians was wonderful. We availed ourselves of surf lessons and massages. There is a refrigerator in the room but no coffee maker. The closest coffee is at the resort down the beach. If there were solar hot water showers, I would have said this place was outstanding. The weather cooled off quite a bit more than we anticipated and we weren't prepared with warm enough clothing. The cooling down at night could be considered a plus if we had been prepared with sweatpants and sweatshirts.

Room Tip: We had the room right between the pool and the bathrooms but it was plenty quiet. Mostly all we eve...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Sol Pacifico Cerritos
Sol Pacifico Cerritos
#1 of 9 in El Pescadero
Cerritos Beach Hotel Desert Moon

Been to Mayan Village Resort? Share your experiences!