“ROOM WITH A VIEW”

Ivy Mount Guest House
Ranked #1 of 3 Eccles B&B and Inns
Reviewed 28 July 2014

I was just staying one night as when my daughter was in nearby Salford Royal Hospital. I had Room 3 a large double at the back of the building. The room was spotlessly clean with a small but perfectly formed shower room. Breakfast was delicious & service friendly.
My only small comment was the water feature in the back garden is very loud, sounds like a bath being emptied.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
ivymount, Owner at Ivy Mount Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2014

Thank you for the brilliant review,sorry about the noise of the pond,i will look into that,so thank you.the room you where in has just been totally done up so i am glad you liked it,
please come back and visit us again soon...

Reviewed 24 July 2014

Good clean accommodation, close to city and Trafford Centre but out of the way of the noise.
On arrival we were greeted by Paul who showed us to our apartment. His local knowledge of places to go shopping and to eat was very good.
Overall was a nice stay

• Stayed: July 2014
ivymount, Owner at Ivy Mount Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 27 July 2014

Thank you so so much for the great review,and its a full house (all green)...thank you
please come and stay with us again soon Paul..(owner)

Reviewed 23 July 2014

You will no doubt read the very mixed reviews of this place as I did, and be left a little confused.

I think a major reason for this is that the description on the guest house website is not clear on the difference between the rooms: and if you have particular requirements my main suggestion would be to contact the owner directly and discuss them with him before booking rather than just booking blindly online.

The main plus points of this guest house are the location, price and Paul (the owner). We found him incredibly friendly and welcoming, and very helpful for recommending places to eat/ drink in the area.

We booked Ivy Mount for two nights purely on the basis of price and location- and because of this we were satisfied with our stay.

The room (6) was a decent size, clean and had tea/coffee making facilities. The bed was two twins pushed together and the mattresses were a little soft, which we didn't mind, but again if this is something that would bother you I'd suggest calling the owner and requesting a specific (different!) room. The room was ensuite, and the facilities were adequate- although on the very small size (think caravan shower room). There was some traffic noise even at night; and again if this would bother you I'd request a room at the back. The key safe system worked well and was very convenient. The guest house is located very conveniently for transport links. We did not try the breakfasts so I am afraid I cannot comment on this.

If you do stay here, and feel as though something isn't quite how you expected I'd suggest talking to Paul and raising it while you are there: he is very accommodating and will no doubt try to help.

I probably wouldn't choose it if I wanted a long romantic weekend away, but we would stay here again if on a similar (work related) trip which required us to be in this area, again mainly because of the price and host. I would not describe this as a luxury stay, rather it reminded me more of a "home from home": I'm from Sheffield, where we are used to woodchip wallpaper and things not being straight (the Ivy Mount building slants!).

Room Tip: Call the owner directly if you want to ensure anything in particular e.g.: larger ensuite bathroom...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business

Well as i all ways say,thank you so much for taking the time to give us a review here at the Ivy Mount Guest House.Thank you so much for all the great comments and next time please come down and try a breakfast you would love it!!! and you can also arrange to have it served in your room if you wish...
As for the room you were in,its due a full refurb,in the next few months,also we have renovated 12 of 18 rooms up to now,so next time call me and i will get you in one of them...
like i said before... thank you so much for staying with us,and i hope to see you again some time soon....

Reviewed 21 July 2014

I was looking forward to our stay in the Ivy mount guest house. I had received emails from the owner prior to my arrival giving me information about the house and the area which made me feel that this guesthouse was going to be as good as its reviews said it would be.
I had booked a weekend in Manchester as a present to my mum for her 60th birthday. My mum, Dad, girlfriend and I were on the trip.
I choose the Ivy Mount guest house based on the information provided by the owner and the reviews from previous customers.
However upon arrival, it turned out to be a disaster from the word go. The owner was away on holidays and the person left in charge seemed to be under pressure, everything that was going wrong or that we asked for that couldn’t be done was fobbed off by a laugh and saying sorry about that.!!!!
I called ahead to advise the time of our arrival. I was told that there would be keys left for us. I couldn’t gain access to the key safe so I had to call the guesthouse to get the reception person to come and let us in. We were then informed that we were not staying in the main guesthouse but in a building down the street. So my mum who has difficulty walking on steps and poor terrain had to walk all the way down the steps up the street and walk up across loose chippings up more steep steps to get to the building where our rooms were.
Our rooms were very clean with comfortable beds. Each room had a mini bar. There was also tea making facilities but it was only possible to fill the kettle with a cup from the sink as the sink was too small to even fill the kettle from it.
The en-suite bathrooms had great showers but the sinks & mirrors were very small. There was a lack of shelving to place any items.
At breakfast time we walked to the main guesthouse building and to get to the breakfast room we had to walk down a very steep set of stairs to then find what was the smallest breakfast room I have ever seen, it was only capable of seating ten people and then it was noisy and cramped. The kitchen was just through a door way so there was even more noise!
Breakfast consisted of cereal and a full English breakfast. The breakfast was very small, one piece of bacon, one sausage, one egg, one tomato, two mushrooms and toast. It was not possible to make a pot of tea as the tea pots would not fit under the water boiler and there was only instant coffee available. I was very disappointed with the whole breakfast experience.
As advertised parking was available, but I had to park along the road as there were no spaces left.
I then made the decision to leave the guesthouse and to try to find alternative accommodation. I eventually found a hotel that was not fully booked.
The inconvenience of this situation really ruined what was supposed to be a wonderful weekend away for my Mum. I normally don’t complain about small little things but in this case there was too much wrong. I would like to advise people considering this property to be very careful as its description is very misleading.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Padraic-289
ivymount, Owner at Ivy Mount Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2014

Well here goes...i'm so Sorry i was not there to meet all your family Mum and dad ect..and it kills me to get a bad review as i work so hard to get the brilliant,That i have just read as i am in Florida with my family on a well earned break..
so where shall i start?? the house that you say is down the road is next door,and the people minding the bed and breakfast for me where right to put you in there as its just been fully refurbished,yes you are right the sinks are to small for a kettle,i will change in the future so thank you for bringing this to my attention.parking is first come first served,you must of arrived a little later,but as i was not there so i do not know..... I hate writing back to these review as it breaks my heart to get a bad one,the bed and breakfast is my life and i strive to be the best one around,all i can say is sorry,and if i was there it all would have been sorted out?? but that is not your fault..
and i will call you when i get of my holiday,thank you for the review...sorry i was not there...
all the best Paul....wishing i was there.....

Reviewed 20 July 2014

Having only stayed over 1 night I don't feel like I can properly review Ivy Mount.

Positives
Clean
Affordable
Lovely location - close to Trafford Centre
Cosy room
The communal bathroom was just down the stairs for us!

Negatives
Could not get hold of owner in mobile!
Was not emailed with key safe code
Room was in other building right at the top and was far too hot - when we asked to move we were told we would be charged for another room
Cabinet mirror was broken
Limited parking - we had to double park and leave a note on their windscreen with a mobile number incase they needed us to move

Upon booking I was told by the website I used that it would be an 'executive' room and the room pictured was en suite (probably marketing) so we were a little disappointed when our room did not have it's own bathroom
First time staying in Manchester and we were pleasantly surprised about how close the guest house was to the Trafford Centre and a couple of supermarkets which was very handy
The room was lovely and clean, just hot! But it was very warm outside and once we were able to open the window fully we did manage to get some air in
Would have been Nice to meet the owners properly!

2  Thank aimzzz0

Hello from Florida
I'm so sorry i did not get to meet you both,i would of loved two but i am in Sunny Florida with my family, on a well earned break....That's the reason why you could not get hold of me on my mobile..SORRY and also the reason you did not get the key safe code,its all my fault SORRY..
As for thew room being hot,we do have FREE fans available,but the people who are looking after my house for me would not know that.
Also i have checked what type of room you had booked and it was an Executive standard Room witch has a shared bathroom with one other room.Thank you so much for the review sorry for all the huccups,and please book with us again and i will not be on Holiday and i will give you the full ivy mount V.I.P treatment
Thank you so so much Paul...

Reviewed 7 July 2014 via mobile

Lovely little guest house in a good location- easy to reach the Trafford centre from here. Parking was great- right outside.
Rooms were spacious with a comfortable bed and TV. We also had a TV and mini bar (parents didn't and would have liked one).
Only criticism would be there was not a full length mirror in our bedroom which seems very minor now I'm writing it! :)
Staff- very helpful and friendly :)

Stayed: July 2014
ivymount, Owner at Ivy Mount Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2014

Thank you so much for yet another great review,im really sorry about the mirror,and i will put one in that room ASAP,It was great to meet you all..
and please visit sunny Manchester again Soon....
all the best Paul (owner)

Reviewed 5 July 2014

Stayed here on 4 July 2014 in the apartment room. Room was absolutely gorgeous, spotless with all mod cons, very spacious with a lovely garden. Paul the owner made us feel incredibly welcome and could not do enough for us. Would highly recommend this hotel, loved it we will definitely be going back.

1  Thank Lisa M

Thank you for such a great review, im really glad you had a great stay in our New Executive Apartment,and i hope to see you both back really soon,bring the kids next time! all the best
07976208761

Also consider these accommodations in or near Eccles
Premier Inn Manchester Salford Media City
Hello Hotel Manchester
Hello Hotel Manchester
#1 of 2 in Swinton
ibis budget Manchester Salford Quays
Travelodge Manchester Salford Quays
Premier Inn Manchester (Swinton) Hotel
Novotel Manchester West

Been to Ivy Mount Guest House? Share your experiences!