“Great Hotel”

Ascott Hotel
Ranked #2 of 3 Eccles B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 22 February 2011

What a fantastic small hotel I booked a standard single room (cheapest I could find)
fantastic en suite room nicely decorated way above my expectations even though the
reviews are all good ..beautiful lounge fantastic breakfast I even got a voucher for
a free
glass of wine at the local restaurant because I booked direct ,the best offers are
when you book direct .I travel a lot and will defiantly stay there again

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled on business

Reviewed 15 February 2011

This hotel was clean and the staff very friendly, but overall I found it disappointing after the reviews I had read. The decor was tired, the room small and very hot (and if you opened a window there was a lot of traffic noise), and the louver blind on the window did not keep out the street lights. There was no drinking water in the room, and the free wifi did not reach the top floor. I'm afraid I wouldn't stay here again...

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Mozartman
DavidAscott, Owner at Ascott Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 February 2011

I think it is interesting to note that this guest booked a standard single room the cheapest
option possible, by nature of being single they are smaller or of course they would be double
rooms. I am afraid i cannot agree the decor is tired, this room was redecorated 6 months ago
also all the previous reveiws atest to the high standard througout the building.

The free wifi does work if a problem was encounterd with it why not ask there is a telephone
by each bed ,as to the room being too hot why not turn the radiators off they have a valve ,
perhaps this guest should have booked single occupacy of a double room its only £4.99 more expensive and includes breakfast. All our rooms are redecorated on a 12/18 month basis.

Reviewed 8 February 2011

Another highly enjoyable stay in this delightful and individual hotel. We were given a free upgrade to a lovely big room, with a very comfortable bed, and wine vouchers for Smith's Restaurant ( would also recommend highly.) This was our third stay and we fully intend to book again when we are in the Manchester area. Love the decor and great breakfast too!

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 January 2011

Never known a place that tries to make it so hard to book. Ignor what they have said about people having problems due to not reading web site small print. booked a room and then had a phone call from the manager basically saying that they didn't want me to stay (I was on the discount rate for the life support courses) as they could get more cash else where because it was a man U match day.....

Even if this wasn't the intention that was how I was made to feel. Also they appear to only have a two hour slot when you can check in some days.... if you can't make it then, then tough! Maybe they just didn't want my cash but I have to say it was the oddest customer service i have ever experienced. My advise, go with somewhere else where you can trust the customer service and they want your business.

Stayed: January 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank theflyingdr
DavidAscott, Manager at Ascott Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 February 2011

Sorry we don't do 2 am arrivals thats why the booking was declined nothing to do with price or anything else.

Its quite easy to book either via the internet or directly by telephone however you
need to be aware of the check in times displayed boldly not in small print

1pm to 10pm (earlier by arrangment) Friday and Sunday we close 1pm to 5pm (again earlier by arrangment)

As you see no 2 hour slots as stated. Most guests are happy with this arrangement. I hope this clarifies the situation.

Reviewed 2 January 2011

What a find. Good situation easily accessable for motorways. Lovely 'old fashioned' type of hotel, much preferred to the new impersonnel hotels. Absolutely beautiful decor. and lovely furnishings. Would not hesitate in recommending it.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 29 December 2010

My wife and I booked this hotel on the Internet for a week to attend a training course in Manchester. Owing to a situation beyond our control, the training course was cancelled 3 days before our arrival. I immediately contacted the hotel to cancel the booking, thinking that I would probably be charged for the first night of our stay, but no, the owner insisted that he was entitled to keep all our money (£325), which we had paid up front when we booked on the Internet. I checked the booking conditions which said a forfeit of the entire amount has to be paid if cancelled less that 7 days ahead of arrival. I know of no other hotel that makes this stipulation, but these people do - so be warned!

Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
DavidAscott, Owner at Ascott Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 31 December 2010

Unfortunately when you book on an internet site you need to be aware of its terms and conditions (not just how cheap it is). Many sites give a cheaper rate but no cancellation
and you pay upfront, we cannot be blamed for the booking restrictions on internet sites.
It is always advisable to check terms and conditions with who you book with.

Reviewed 9 December 2010

We have been working in Eccles near Manchester and booked in the Ascott Hotel, our first impressions was that it was clean and had a very welcome atmosphere, David the owner was very helpful, and has managed on occasions to find us a rooms at very short notice.

We all slept well, and would recommend the breakfast, just what we needed to start the business day.

We do not intend to stay anywhere else whilst in the area.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Eccles
Novotel Manchester West
Worsley Park Marriott Hotel & Country Club
Ivy Mount Guest House
Trivelles Hotel - Cross Lane
Milton Manchester Hotel

Been to Ascott Hotel? Share your experiences!