“Amazing food it is NOT!”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Headley Park Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Sleaford
Headley Park Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Sleaford
Hampshire
“Amazing food it is NOT!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2014

We didn't stay at the hotel but took advantage of a promotional offer to eat in the restaurant for the first time ever, having lived locally for 30 years.

I'm sorry to say that the food was way below expectation with standard dishes poorly executed, (overcooked fish, soggy crackling on belly port. Vegetables were excitingly described as a "panache of fresh vegetables" - they turned out to be the usual microwaved carrots, cauli and broccolli so very underwhelming!)

The hotel has a 50 year connection with Lithuanian ex-pats and we were told the chef is Lithuanian as an explanation as to why the starters were not quite as expected. However, I believe that is doing a disservice to Lithuanian cuisine. Advertising banners describe the food as "amazing"; it is amazing that anyone would describe it in such misleading terms. I

The only saving grace was the friendliness of the staff and, if we had been paying full price for the meal, I would not have been so forgiving. We were told that the hotel is in a transitional phase and is seeking to up its commercial appeal. I would suggest that they must review their menu and quality of food served if they ever wish to achieve their aim.

1 Thank Disappointed782

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Surrey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2014

Myself and my husband went for afternoon tea a few days ago, it was a deal which we purchased on Groupon! The hotel is very dated but has so so much potential, the grounds look stunning. We were the only ones in the resturant eating, there was the fuzzy of a radio in the background and a few shouts from the kitchen. The fireplace in the room left us in fits of laughter as there was a random lightbulb in the middle and nothing else (see photo) !!!!! The member of staff who served us was very polite, but the food was disappointing. The bread was cheap supermarket bread, which had had the crusts half heartedly cut off. None of the cakes supplied were freshly baked and I suspect were also supermarket brought. No-one came to ask if all was ok, we were left to our own devices. I feel a company selling a groupon deal would be doing so to encourage customers who purchase the deal to return, sadly we are definatly not in any rush to return.

1 Thank EmmaBSurrey
Saffron Walden, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2014

I do not usually write reviews but after reading some of the negative comments on here feel I must. We visited on an amazing Wowcher deal but I was concerned and even considering cancelling after reading some of the previous reviews. So glad I didn't. The hotel is admittedly a little tired but it is evident work is in progress to correct this. Our room was freshly painted but the carpet had seen better days. However everything was clean and welcoming. The staff work extremely hard and were friendly and helpful. The grounds are so peaceful and you felt free to wander wherever you wanted. There were plenty of resting places with benches and tables and sitting by the lake while having an evening drink was just what I needed after a stressful week at work. We had a lakeside room and waking in the morning to see the mist rolling over the lake and a heron swooping around.

We would definitely like to return to the hotel and would pay full price for the experience.

Room Tip: Would recommend lakeside
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank thefourwards
Reading, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2014 via mobile

We stayed on the groupon deal in April and I am amazed at the positive reviews on here recently! I have to say that the food was the best thing about the place- breakfast in particular was really good- but the rooms we stayed in were outdated and in one case covered in and stinking of damp, and no curtain at one of the windows! The grounds, which have a lot of potential, are unkempt (overflowing bins, broken benches) and in some cases downright dangerous (fallen trees, burnt out caravans - have added photos taken that weekend) I understand that they don't have money to spend on the place but it doesn't cost much to clean the windows! Staff were friendly and bathrooms generally clean if in need of tlc, but my goodness there's a lot of work to do before it is at the standard expected of a hotel nowadays!

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mikeandthemeercat

Travellers are raving about these Sleaford hotels

Petersfield, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2014

Just occasionally I read other reviews before placing mine, as I have done in this case wondering what other people made of this place.
Most of what I read in both positive and negative reviews rings true - It is an old building and does look tired in places and must be a nightmare to clean!
We however enjoyed our afternoon tea and followed it up with a walk around the lake.
Having rang only a few hours earlier to see if we could book, the receptionist couldn't be more helpful, initially they were fully booked, after a quick discussion with the kitchen she could offer us a table for two. Upon arrival there didn't appear to be anyone at reception, however the door to the restaurant is right next to the entrance and on appearing there someone immediately came to see us. We sat in the bar next door for just a few minutes and were then shown to our table. As mentioned above we enjoyed the tea, the food was as expected and the service was friendly and efficient.
One thing did amuse me as I read comments about windows not having curtains - I noticed in the restaurant that most of the windows had wooden side panelling that would fold across the windows to form an internal shutter blind - I wonder whether those people looking for curtains had spotted this?

1 Thank Engelsman57
Maldon, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2014

We stayed here on a deal and I have to say, it was excellent value. The hotel is in beautiful grounds with surrounding lake. Checking in was smooth, and our room was spacious and airy, with the window open upon arrival letting the fresh air in. There wasn't a mirror in the room, apart from in the wardrobe, which we found quite odd. We had a very large window which looked out over the grounds, so very lucky there.

The bed was very comfortable and the bathroom small, but very clean. The toiletries were plentiful and of good quality.

We had afternoon tea on the day of arrival, and that was lovely. Never having had one, I have nothing to compare it with, but it was very nice. We had a light bite in the evening in the bar, and that was of excellent quality, as was the breakfasts and the dinner on the second night. The restaurant is called the Library Restaurant, and it had a lovely feel to it.

One thing which was of concern - on our first night, we were sat in the bar, and there were 5 people sitting round the bar on stools, 4 men and 1 female, having a conversation about the place. A couple of them obviously had a financial interest in the place in one way or another, and they made no secret of the fact that the hotel was in trouble financially. They were not quiet about it and we couldn't help but feel that it was inappropriate to be having this discussion in front of guests. This sort of conversation should be had behind closed doors and out of the ear shot of guests.

All in all, we had a lovely stay and loved the hotel and surroundings.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Carol R
Peterborough, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2014

I booked my stay at Headley Park Hotel with groupon. The reviews I had previously read were not so positive, leaving me feeling a little bit sceptical. However, I thoroughly enjoyed my stay here. The food was delicious, service was excellent, staff were all very friendly and attentive. Our room had a lovely view of the lake and was very clean and tidy.

Will definitely be visiting again in the summer.

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank Chris H
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sleaford
BEST WESTERN Frensham Pond Hotel
Old Thorns Manor Hotel & Golf Course
Grayshott Health Spa
Grayshott Health Spa
#1 of 1 in Grayshott

Been to Headley Park Hotel? Share your experiences!