B+B Wickham
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
New Place Hotel(Shirrell Heath)
  • Pool
  • Pool
View Hotel
All reviewsold housegarden roomunderfloor heatingvillage squarechateaubriandlovely villagesleigh bedroll top bathwet roomla boccalovely mealwalk in showerideal locationmain buildingone night stayexcellent breakfastcooked breakfast
Reviewed 26 March 2012

I've been a regular visitor to Fareham / Whiteley since late 2010. My company usually put me up in the limited selection of business park hotels, but in mid 2011 there was no room at the "Inn" and so we had to look elsewhere - and what a find the Old House has been.

It is a stark - and very positive - contrast to the conveyor belt offered by the standard "chain" hotels in the area that cater for the business traveller. The staff are welcoming, very friendly and entirely helpful.

The hotel itself is charming - and the location in the square is delightful. Some of the rooms are cosy, rather than spacious, but they are perfectly comfortable, with all the necessary requirements usually on offer - flat screen TV, DVD player etc.

All of that would be enough to keep me going back - as I have done many times - but when you throw in the mix the utterly wonderful food, I can't see that I'll be staying elsewhere. The menu is changed regularly and the selection for each course is superb; as good as you'll see in high end restaurants. I have seen other reviews here suggesting it isn't cheap. I'm not sure I'd agree, but then where is when you're dining out??? You get what you pay for, and it's excellent. Certainly, it is a perfect venue for a "special" celebratory meal.

Despite the choice elsewhere, I would always select the Old House. And whilst this has been marked as a "business" trip, I'd be happy to spend a romantic weekend there too.

Enjoy!

Room Tip: Room 6 has a low ceiling over the shower - if you're on the tall side, be prepared to stoop, or ask for another room!
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank DJS_7_17
Reviewed 23 March 2012

Since we discovered The Old House Hotel we have been staying there regularly a couple of times a year. We wouldn't think of staying anywhere else in the area.

Our latest 3-night stay confirmed our good impression. Once again we had three sybaritic days staying in the most comfortable room, eating fabulous food, and enjoying the welcoming ambience The Old House Hotel provides.

It starts with the charming welcome one gets from Vicki and Dawn. As another reviewer has noted, nothing is too much trouble for them.

The rest of the staff are just as lovely - a happy combination of friendliness and professionalism. If you want to be served by faceless automatons (maybe you're posing as the aristos in Downton Abbey?!) then this may not be for you.

Personally, I hate staff who give that kind of smarmy service: you just know they're dissing you behind your back. If the people at The Old House behave like nice people, that'll be because they ARE nice people.

Staff turnover is slow: we meet the same people time after time. I always think this is a good sign. So why are some reviews here so poor?

Experienced TripAdvisor users know how to weed out the chaff - ignoring people who have placed just one review (competitors having a go perhaps?), those who can't spell (= ignorant), and those with obvious 'issues' (chips hand-cut or not, woodburners lit or not).

But some of the comments here are frankly astonishing, and I must rebut them if only for the sake of those new to TripAdvisor.

Wiring running up the walls
----------------------------------
The clue is in the name: it's The Old House Hotel. How do you recess electric wiring into wattle and daub? The Old House is full of character: the walls aren't straight, the stairs creak, there are beams in some of the rooms, some of the doors are funny shapes.

That's how we like it. If you want wall-to-wall formica, go to a Travelodge.

I am 5'9" and my feet stuck out of the bed
----------------------------------------------------
It seems a bit unlikely that this can be true, frankly. Over the years we have stayed in at least four of the twelve bedrooms in the main hotel and all have been beautiful, with lovely comfortable beds. I'm 6' tall, and I've never had a problem.

Trying to find somewhere to park
-----------------------------------------
In all our visits we have never had a problem parking.

If we had, I really don't see how parking could be made any easier. The hotel is surrounded buy lovely old buildings like itself, probably all listed. I think you'd have trouble demolishing them to make a car park!

There is room for a few cars down the side of the hotel. (No way is this area badly lit as one reviewer avers: there are several PIR floodlights that come on as you approach.)

If the spaces down the side of the hotel are all full, there is a huge village square right outside. It's huge - I mean really huge: I can't imagine any circumstances when it would be impossible to park there. If you are disabled and cannot walk 20 yards, tell Dawn or Vicki when you book.

Complaints about food
----------------------------
We ate in the restaurant three nights running this time, so between us we worked our way through a good chunk of the menu. Everything was delicious, interesting and beautifully presented. The pheasant and coriander starter was to die for - I want that recipe!

I suppose even the best restaurant in the world can have an off night. All I can say is that we have never had one at The Old House.

In my first review, I had two minor niggles - one about the heating and one about the piped music. It appears that even these have been addressed: they obviously care about the feedback they get.

I think it's obvious that we really really like this place, and would recommend it to anyone. We'll return - can't wait!

Room Tip: Rooms at the front (eg room 1 and room 2) are a little affected by traffic noise. We have stayed several nights in each and not been disturbed - and I like the windows open. But if you're a light sleeper, mention it to Dawn or Vicky when you book. The one with the four-poster is lovely! This time we had room 6 at the back - perfectly quiet and gorgeous with a huge bed and sumptuous bathroom. Lovely!
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Footloosenfancyfree
Reviewed 20 March 2012

Recently had a one night stay in a garden suite at the Old house hotel in Wickham.
Lovely big room with a fantastically comfortable sleigh bed and a superb bathroom with wet room drench shower, claw foot bath and under floor heating.
Staff were all extremely friendly and helpful and the breakfast freshly cooked to order, a delightful antidote to chain hotels with sad dried up buffets.
If you like your hotels a bit individual with cosy lounges and restaurants then this could be for you.
Lovely stay and I'm sure we will return in the near future

Room Tip: Garden rooms have lots of space, fantastic bathrooms and a patio to enjoy early morning sunshine
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank NedSouthampton
Reviewed 3 March 2012

Thoroughly enjoyed our stay in Wickham at this friendly & comfortable hotel. Both evening meal & breakfast were excellent. We took advantage of their seasonal offer & were pleased to find that there was no compromise on quality.
There are pleasant walks to be had around Wickham & a mill well worth visiting for lunchtime snacks & antiques.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Ann S
Reviewed 25 February 2012

Recently took my wife to dinner at the Old House after have a recommendation from a friend. Atmosphere on entering was a little dreary but comfortable. Main restaurant is lovely with plenty of room and white (yes white tablecloths) and shinning cutlery and glasses. We ordered Chateaubriand for two.The steak was served on its own carving board ready sliced in generous thick slices each almost a steak in its own right, Best Chateaubriand we have had. The deserts were also excellent, my wife had a hot chocolate sponge with a soft centre she sounded like she was having sex when she ate it with lots of ooo's amd rrrrr's .Would recommend. A little pricy but worth it.

Mike