“Fantastic takeaway service ”

Greens Restaurant & Bar
Ranked #1 of 13 Restaurants in Wickham
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Greens restaurant & bar is situated on the corner of the historic Wickham square. It is very easy to find and to park. The outside of the property looks traditional, well cared for and inviting. The inside is light & airy with a contemporary feel. Restful colours and wooden blinds add to the ambience. Crisp linen napkins, fresh flowers, friendly professional service and superb fresh food. Everything on the seasonal menus is homemade, using locally sourced produce whenever possible. The secret graden overlooking Wickham water meadows and the river Meon is a superb location in summer for a relaxing lunch. Owners Frank & Carol Duckworth have been running this establishment since 1985 and they are as passionate today as they were when they began trading. Their tag line of 'nothing is too much trouble' is as relevant today as it was in 1985. The menu includes fresh king scallops, mussels, sea bream, Hampshire 21 day aged steaks, vegetarian, vegan and gluten free options.
Reviewed 4 May 2020 via mobile

Just wanted to say a massive thank you to Frank and Carol for looking after my partners Mother over the last few weeks. They have been providing takeaway meals on a regular basis, all of which have been great quality. Just what is needed for someone who is unable to get out on her own to get food etc. Great to see a local business supporting their local community.
Thanks again to you both.

Date of visit: May 2020
Write a reviewReviews (535)

Reviewed 25 April 2020

With a number of local restaurants providing a takeaway service during their closure, my friends and I decided to try Greens. We all ordered fish and chips. This was collected, paid for and distributed to our various households where we are in lockdown.

Our disappointment could not have been greater when opening each parcel. A piece of badly cooked soggy fish,no more than 4 inches in length was revealed. We thought they had forgotten the chips, but underneath the fish were 8 overcooked small chips.
The meai was probably the worst,and least, we have ever had. We chose fish and chips as a simple meal to cook. What could go wrong?

I ask, was this a rip-off in difficult times or just meanness? I have been told that this restaurant has been good in the past, so was it incompetence?

We have since had excellent, and cheaper meals, from another local pub/restaurant.

One thing is sure, we will not use it again during the crisis and it is very unlikely we will go there afterwards.

Date of visit: April 2020
6  Thank ChrisMountaineer
greensrestaurant36, Owner at Greens Restaurant & Bar, responded to this reviewResponded 30 April 2020

Hi Chris,
I am very sorry to learn you were disappointed with your recent fish and chips take away from Greens. As all our staff are currently furloughed the buck stops with me, the owner. I am personally doing all of the cooking. I can assure you I would never knowingly serve any food that I thought would be a disappointment to any customer. I can only put it down to human error and personal taste. As you be aware, we offer our fish and chips in two sizes , to cater for those in our community who may not have large appetites. In these challenging times I am trying my best to provide a service .I am sorry not to have met your expectations.
My husband Frank and I have been in business here for over 35 years , fortunately for us we have had a large amount of positive feedback from our take ways.
I am very pleased that you have found somewhere else that does meet your expectations. Keep safe and I hope we can be of service to you some time in the future.
kind regards,
Carol

Reviewed 13 March 2020

I have visited several times. The staff are delightful and friendly serving excellent high end food.

Date of visit: February 2020
1  Thank Kieron G
Reviewed 8 March 2020 via mobile

Only had drinks but what a lovely friendly place. Lovely real wood fire and welcoming staff. We will be back to eat on our next visit

Date of visit: March 2020
2  Thank julesy3005
Reviewed 2 March 2020

Had a business meeting in the snug area before lunch, the tea was not great and cold very quick. Also the pot size is poor, literally a 1 cup and some dregs. But we then had lunch and it tasted great. Sea Bass was brill and so was the fish and chips. Service a bit hit and miss, our water was forgotten and the old lady behind me who keep making noisy smells was not pleasant but that is lunchtime in Wickham. To be honest I wish it has been busier as there was a lack of atmosphere here, I had the same thing last time which was eary evening but the food and wine was spot on so I would not hesitate to come back, even if I have to check smelly bum is not sat near me next time.

Date of visit: February 2020
1  Thank Nathan D
greensrestaurant36, Owner at Greens Restaurant & Bar, responded to this reviewResponded 4 March 2020

Thanks for your feedback Nathan, pleased you enjoyed the food at Greens. In terms of atmosphere I have to admit in 35 years here we've never ever had a complaint about other customers bodily functions. Next time you visit , if you book and let me know ,I ll make sure we seat you at a table sufficiently separated from other tables so that there is no risk of you being disturbed by any other customers . Ill make sure you get attentive service, and you can always ask for more hot water if you wish to top your teapot up.
Kind regards