“Pleasant garden decent food”
Review of Bedford Arms Hotel

Bedford Arms Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Chenies B&B and Inns
Reviewed 9 April 2013

Better than average, not worth going out of your way for but a charming diversion if you happen to be passing. Service and hospitality of the staff in the bar and restaurant was excellent. Good location for beautiful Chiltern country walking.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
5  Thank FrankieSmith
There are newer reviews for Bedford Arms Hotel

Reviewed 20 March 2013

The hotel is set in beautiful grounds in a quite but easy to get to country lane only 5 mins drive from the M25 at Chorleywood. The restaurant features a huge fireplace with oak panelled walls and is not overcrowded with tables. Four of us ate here on a Monday lunchtime. We all had separate starters which are good and then all had the roast beef. Good size portions of meat and potatoes and plenty of veg. With two glasses of wine and two beers the bill for 4 was £100 which I thought was reasonable for an excellent meal, friendly attentive service and a very pleasant couple of hours in a lovely setting.

Room Tip: Didn't stay - restaurant open to all
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 February 2013

The Bedford is a hotel I know well through my visits to the area, the cuisine is excellent, my business customers have always enjoyed dining here sometimes on very wobbly tables !

My parents would meet here during WW2. My father was based at a nearby RAF airdrome.
I decided to take my mother to this hotel a few months ago for lunch to relive some of those war time memories. It was a long drive, when we arrived we were told all tables were booked. Even though we arrived at 11.30 we were told there would be no chance of a table. I accepted this as my fault for not booking in advance. What happened after this was really unacceptable. I walked my mother to the empty 'residents' bar near reception for refreshments before leaving. We were refused service and had to leave.

Room Tip: Excellent restaurant, however, book in advance.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 January 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Bedford arms for a long weekend. The hotel staff were very friendly, the food worthy of the awards and the accommodation was great (large king sized bed, plenty of room, walk in wardrobe. Arthur, who owns the hotel is 84 and still actively working. Thanks all for a lovely stay.

Room Tip: We were told that the new contemporary rooms (in the coach house annex) were better appointed than t...
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank DrJoMac
Reviewed 14 October 2012

We were attending a function in nearby Rickmansworth and decided to stay here instead of one of the run of the mill chains. So glad we did. We were in the John Russell room and it was perfect. Great size, really comforable bed and great amenities (Hairdryer, trouser press, iron and ironing board, small desk, sofa and coffee table). The manager ordered a taxi for us and it turned up right on the dot. We only paid a little more than our friends who stayed at the Premier Inn........and I know who got the best deal! Wewill stay here again next time we are in the area.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank FrequentVisitor
Reviewed 14 October 2012

The Bedford Arms was the venue for my mate's wedding on 6th October 2012 and from the moment I booked in to the time I left I just could not fault this place. A very friendly welcome, a superb room, excellent food, and courteous staff. Admittedly, whilst a marquee was necessary to accommodate an 80-guest wedding breakfast sitting, it was tastefully decorated and set in beautiful surroundings. As best man, there were certain things I needed to make sure were being done and indeed I enlisted the help of 'Jim' when it came to my speech. Jim, and every other member of staff were so helpful that the whole event went without a hitch. We were incredibly lucky with the weather so late in the year, so all the photographs were able to be taken in the extensive and picturesque grounds. Not only was it a beautiful place to stay - and the food worth another mention - but it was all very fairly priced. Don't hesitate to book here. I'd go back any time.

Room Tip: From the comments from other guests, I would imagine any room would be as nice as the one I stayed i...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank KAJCornwall
Reviewed 15 September 2012 via mobile

wefinder were attending a charity event nearby so originally picked this hotel for its location.
my cousin decided to travel down the night before so range the hotel last minute & the had a spare room available which he even got at a discounted rate. we were flying down early the next morning and arrive at the hotel at a little after 9am. the staff welcomed us and even served us breakfast! the room we booked was the large four poster 'honeymoon' suite located in the exterior converted stable block. it was furnish to a hight standard & the large jacuzzi bath was fabulous, I was awaken the next morning by a horse popping his head through the opened window which was very nice. breakfast was brilliant with a very large choice of cooked food.
we had a late flight home but we were given a late check out free of charge & the hotel looked after our cases when we went out for the afternoon.
I can't fault this hotel & the staff are very helpful.

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank ladykentmores
Bedford A, Manager at Bedford Arms Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 October 2012

Thankyou for you kind comments, we are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay and we were able to accommodate you at short notice. We are glad the local wildlife was entertaining however we can't promise and early morning call by horse for everyone though, hope to see you again.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Chenies
De Vere Latimer Estate
#1 of 2 in Amersham
The Grove Hotel
The Grove Hotel
#1 of 1 in Chandler's Cross

Been to Bedford Arms Hotel? Share your experiences!