“Our wedding day”

Ranked #1 of 1 Chenies B&B and Inns
Watford, United Kingdom
“Our wedding day”
Reviewed 5 May 2014

We booked our wedding with the Bedford Arms in 2013 just before it was sold to new owners. Stacy was our wedding planner and to her credit she does an amazing job. When we spoke with Stacy she did tell us that it had been purchased by new owners and that they would be making some subtle changes to the venue, things like redecoration of the bar and a few of the rooms. We booked the venue as we liked the charm of the place, and the fact that they were happy to accommodate the menu that we required. We also liked the fact that there was a separate bar area that would be exclusive to us.

It would appear that it was slightly more than some re decoration! When we re visited the place in February 2014 we were slightly taken back by the extent of the "redecoration" Anyway we were happy as we were assured that it would look great, and the mood boards that we could see looked impressive too, our fears were put to bed!

When we returned after the refit we loved the changes although we had lost the "private" bar area but we were again reassured that there would be a partition (later told a room divider) this was not to be the case as on our wedding day there was a rope cordon! I am sure you will agree that this affords little privacy to our guests.

Also although Stacy does a great job, she is only there for a couple of days each week and so it can be hard to nail someone down to discuss the details with anyone, the rest of the team seem to have little or no knowledge the the wedding business in their hotel, I feel that this is an area for improvement, there are times when you need to have answers and I found myself having to text Stacy's private mobile number (which I didn't want to to but had little choice as suppliers etc won't wait 3-4 days for a reply)

The "Manager" NOT the owner is very abrupt and seriously needs some kind of coaching for his customer service skills, again although he is good and everything went well on our day, speaking to him was a very cold and sometimes down right rude experience. I feel that the owner needs to address this issue ASAP as this chap is damaging his reputation I am sure.

Our room was number 14 and the bed was very comfy and the room was clean and fairly well kept, however the reason we made the choice of this room was specifically for the spa bath, the morning after our wedding we looked forward to using it, however it did not work and by the time we found out it was quite close to check out time and we wanted to have breakfast and so didn't see the point in raising issue until later on. It was a bit of a let down although not a deal breaker.

They also double booked a room and one of our wedding party had someone else check into their room and then move all of the stuff out!!! This was again sorted but should never of happened.

All in all we had a great wedding day and Stacy worked really hard and mostly on her own, so all credit to her. The rest is to be seen but I expect that some people will simply stop going here as the service from the "Manager" can be lacking.

The owner is a lovely guy and very helpful, he just needs a strong management structure in place.

Room Tip: If you want a spa bath chose room 14 (providing its working!!!)
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Ben D

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Rickmansworth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 May 2014

I have been a local and devoted visitor to The Bedford Arms for many years. I went with a friend for lunch a few weeks' ago and found that the new owners have made changes that were unwelcome to us both. A lovely, old hotel with lots of historical atmosphere has now become nouveau-riche.

The lack of carpet in the main enlarged bar area means that it is noisy and lacking in previous cosiness. There is a distinct lack of warmth about the atmosphere here with some high tables with high legged bar stools to perch on that are unappealing. Some rather odd looking wall niches filled with books designed to look homely just seemed to create the opposite effect. I looked into the restaurant area at the rear of the hotel and saw little change so far, thankfully.

However, my lunch was less than adequate. We had ordered caesar salads and these were really poor. Leaves with a few scattered anchovies and a few boiled potatoes - and little else! Coffee was equally poor - dishwater - and biscuits that had obviously come out of some cheap tin.

My overall view is that this is a typical generational change, with little care about 'everyone'.

Get as many punters in as you can, and never mind the quality. We shall find another venue for a relaxing 'ladies lunching'.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Irene E
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 April 2014

Sunday lunch at The Bedford Arms Hotel. The last time I visited this place was March 2013 just before I moved over the pond to Canada. Prior to this i had visited several times and the food and service was 5 star.

Today I visited once again having heard it had had a refurbishment and under new ownership. The Bar has had major work done to it, extending the seating and tables. I really like the open plan of it, modern but with lots of character. One criticism that I would have is the tables at the back near the washrooms. The walking space between tables was not enough, even at one point the waiter asked one of my party to stand up to seat another table behind when she was in the middle of eating her main course?

FOOD
The majority of the table had Prawn cocktail, really good portion, lots of Prawns and tasty. I had the Chicken Liver Parfait and thought it was great. Parfait was seasoned well and good texture; the crisp flatbreads were tasty and red onion marmalade full of flavor, great job!
To the main course, most of the table had Lamb or Beef. The food was delivered to the table to slowly, couple of dishes here and a couple of dishes there why not get the team and place it on the table together? To be honest it was a real let down. The Beef and Lamb was an inconstant cooking temperature, roast Potatoes had no flavor, Yorkshire puddings were small and sauce was only warm, Season your food, tasting what you’re cooking doesn't hurt! For £13.50 you would expect a higher standard!
Finally desert, I had the Jam roly poly, was really tasty, could have eaten it twice over!! Cheesecake was excellent as are all the other desserts. This made up for the main course, BUT THAT SHOULDN'T BE HAPPENING IN THE FIRST CASE.

FRONT OF HOUSE
As soon as we walked in we were given a stare by the host and a brief hello. We sat down and the waitress took our drinks order promptly, menus handed out and left to talk for a bit. That was a good start. Starters took a little while to come out but that was fine, restaurant was busy at this point so understood.
Starters served, but clearing the table was in drips and drabs, if your going to clear a big table, do it with a few of you and efficiently.
Main course came, 9 of us with one bowl of vegetables. by the time you have passed the vegetables round to everyone the food is warm not hot. isn't it better to have a couple of smaller bowls that make it more accessible for the guest? Clearing the main course was a nightmare. Only the plates were cleared, one of the waitresses not even knowing how to clear? Once the plates were done it took another 5 minutes until the Veg plates were cleared. Didn't even bother clearing the condiments? They were left on the table until the end of our meal, and only the glasses cleared once we were getting coffee!
Dessert menus were given and we had to wait 20 minutes to order dessert. Then the menus were cleared 10 minutes after the order was taken, dessert came and there was no cutlery to eat it with! Once we had dessert on the table it was almost like we were forgotten about.

One thing that amazed me, the amount of different waiters and waitresses we had. I find of you have one member of the FOH team dealing with all their needs, you will get a more positive reaction from the guest.

With improvements to the front of house service, being more efficient in serving tables and clearing tables, also training them how to clear a table effectively. not forgetting a good consistency in the kitchen as well. I am sure the Bedford Arms will rise to greater heights again, but right now its new owners need to tweak a few things. Love the refurbishment but please return the high standard of food and service there was.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Steve A
Halifax, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 April 2014

My husband wanted to take me to see the new refurbishment of The Bedford Arms Hotel. It was a glorious sunny afternoon. We were greeted at the door and shown to the bar, which has been redesigned beautifully - very welcoming and warm. We had a glass of wine whilst waiting for a friend and then were seated in the main restaurant for our lunch. The menu was varied and I had salmon fishcakes which were very good. My husband had a steak which was a good size and quality. Our friend had the Bedford pie which he said was also good. We had a few bottles of Picpoul which was a lovely white - very drinkable. The service was also good we felt looked after even though it was busy. We had such a relaxing time that we didn't leave from our lunch until 7pm and our friend managed to get a room for the night! I was most impressed with the restrooms - which are always my benchmark for a pleasant establishment. They were spotless and I loved the luxury soap and fresh hand towels. The small touches make this a lovely place to spend an afternoon. I haven't had a long lunch like that for years.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
hertfordshire
Reviewed 30 March 2014

We popped in on the off chance for lunch on a Thursday afternoon. I haven't been a few years so was pleasantly surprised by the refurb , which looks great. It was very busy but we managed to squeeze in. The service was excellent and the staff very friendly. The food arrived in a timely manner and was lovely and fresh. We will be back.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Watford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 March 2014

Having struggled to find a suitable restaurant to accommodate a party of 12 friends to celebrate my husband's 50th birthday, we had fond memories of professionally executed and quality fine dining enjoyed at wedding receptions at The Bedford Arms Hotel in recent years. We were able to book a Saturday evening in the main restaurant and it certainly didn't disappoint. The food was exquisite in its presentation, quality and taste. The service was impeccable. The staff were friendly and approachable. The surroundings were traditional with a hint of a modern twist (recently refurbished). The celebration was appreciated by the entire party. I highly recommend The Bedford Arms Hotel.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Emma P
Amersham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 March 2014 via mobile

It was a beautiful day for lunch on their front patio. Nicely presented. There akso has been a much needed and impressive make over overall with a greatly improved bar area with eating areas to go with it.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chenies
De Vere Latimer Estate
#2 of 10 in Hemel Hempstead
Chartridge Lodge
Chartridge Lodge
#2 of 2 in Chesham

Been to Bedford Arms Hotel? Share your experiences!