“Quality and comfort”

Ranked #1 of 1 Chenies B&B and Inns
Kendal, United Kingdom
“Quality and comfort”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2014

We stayed at the hotel for two nights, conveniently close for a wedding in this beautiful village. It's amazing to find such a quiet and lovely rural spot so close the convenience of the M25.
Our room in the main house was very comfortable though compact. Though it looked out over the car park entrance and was above the kitchen area, it was reassuringly quiet. Our one concern was a slightly musty smell; we raised this with staff, and it was explained that a repair had been made in the bathroom, and the management were apologetic.
The staff were friendly, courteous and efficient. We requested a little flexibility regarding checkout time and the hotel responded happily to our needs.
We ate one evening in the restaurant, and one lunchtime in the bar. The price reflected the quality which was excellent, and the servings were ample; it represented good value.
The furnishings tended towards the nostalgic and echoed a past age, but this was in keeping with the historic nature of the building and the village, and is no doubt appreciated greatly by foreign visitors, though to ourselves it was just a familiar feel and part of our English heritage.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Bookanother

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2014

having frequently avoided this place based on its previous fawlty towers reputation , I have been half a dozen times since its remodel

Every time my expectations have been so high only matched by my level of disappointment every time

Each time I have had great food, tonight the food experience was marred by poor service and lack of experience behind the bar, its always the same , why do these places employ such poor quality staff

There is no such thing as bad staff only bad management .

If this place had designed their bar properly with comfortable stools and a bar that two barstaff
could pass each other then their customer experience would be so much better , simple things !

Get your basics right , three attractive girls serving behind the bar until 7pm and then waiting on tables only which had the effect of customers unable to get a drink from the bar as the bartenders could only do one thing at once , I asked one to serve who then had to ask the bartender to get the drink and join the queue while she had to stand helpless ! Whats that all about !

What a lovely place this could be with some proper staff !! A proper cocktail barman , able to serve and keep up with the flow would be a start , then look at the height of chairs and stools , they should be comfortable and welcoming

Maitre,d that jumps on you to ask " have you booked " with that knowing look " if you haven t i am not going to help "

I have spoken to the owner who seems completely oblivious its such a shame .

Room Tip: stay at the Grove
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
6 Thank thebestcritic2014
newark
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2014

We have just returned from a one night stay at this lovely hotel. We found this very last minute and only wished we had stayed a little longer. The bedroom was exactly to our taste, traditional feel but with everything you need. The Bedford Arms has a very cosy and welcoming feel, service was fantastic. Everything was very positive from the first phone call, to the Reception and the bar / dining staff. We were made to feel very welcome and were attentive to our young son. We arrived pretty late to check in as we had visited goodwood, and the bar was filling up with diners but the waitress still managed to squeeze us in for dinner. The food choice was plentiful and our chosen dishes were perfect. The wine and draught beers were very nice to. Breakfast equally as good. The gardens are a real treat and we enjoyed some quiet time after dinner and our son enjoyed running around and playing with the giant dominoes. We will be booking this wonderful hotel for our next visit to this area. Would defiantly recommend for couples or families.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Francis room in the main building, very nice
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank florenceNewark
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2014

I stayed at this amazing hotel not too long ago and everything was done to an extremely high standard.
Customer care is obviously a top priority here as I was treated extremely well.
The food was superb and the rooms were cleaned to a very high standard and since I am a clean freak, I definitely know what I'm looking for in cleanliness.
I stayed in the room called lady Elizabeth and although it can be quite noisy sometimes (only around dinner and i was only getting changed for dinner) it is a lovely room and very suitable for a single stayer.
The owner was a pleasure and made me feel extremely welcome and the rest of the staff were just very warm and welcoming as well.
In my opinion, I will definitely be coming back and I would like to have the same room again PLEASE!

Room Tip: try and stay in the main houses room, they are more historical and if your a foreign traveller then...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
5 Thank CeliaT118
Lytham St Anne's, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2014

I stayed here on a Wednesday night. Beautiful location and pub/hotel looks very nice. The double room was small but had everything you needed. Restaurant food was excellent and bar/servers were very friendly. Only down side was checking in and out. The owner who clearly thought that it was beneath him checked me out without showing me the bill and asking how my stay was.( he had parked his 4x4 so close to the front door I had to step around it) If he bothered to ask my room was directly above the kitchen and I heard nothing but banging around till 10pm and very early morning. Hotel was very clean and breakfast staff were great but I think that the hotel owner has forgotten who the most important person in their hotel actually is.

• Stayed June 2014
5 Thank gavinharris1978
Bedford A, Owner at Bedford Arms Hotel, responded to this review, 15 June 2014
I wish to express my sincere apologies that our customer care was not to our normal high standards for your recent stay at The Bedford Arms Hotel.I have been in the hospiality industry for over 30 years and pride myself on good customer care however on this occasion I am very sorry I was found lacking.I had a family emergency and was otherwise preoccupied, it is our policy to keep our company vehicle parked at the front of the hotel for advertising and should a accessible space be need we then move it for our guests.Once again I can only reiterate my apologies and hope you will give us another chance to look after you.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2014

Stayed here for two nights whilst in nearby Amersham for a training course. Accommodation was everything I needed, comfortable bed and spacious bathroom in one of the converted outbuildings. The best part however was both the food and the choice of real ale on tap. The pub/restaurant was busy on both nights which clearly states it's quality and the choice and level of food was excellent. The breakfast in the morning was also of a high standard and the staff was most accommodating with the selection offered. Would definitely recommend if planning to stay in the area.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Peter R
belfast
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2014

we stopped for 2 nights and was initially not too happy about size of room called chandos i think, [ originally a good size but has had en suite bathroon taken out of it ] but other wise happy. we came back about 9pm on saturday night and were tired from our travels, however we could not stay in the room as there was an overpowering smell of fish and general cooking smells. there was no one at reception and there is no residents lounge so we went for a walk to the little village. when we came back the smell was not so bad and we got to sleep. next morning i asked to swop to a different room, but was offered one next door which would not have sorted out the problem as i had by now, found that our room was over the kitchen and there was what looked like an stainless steel extractor outlet at a lower level than our window which meant the fumes were being blown in our direction by the light wind. we also had smells in early morning from breakfast cooking,
on a positive note, breakfasts and evening meal on one evening were very good and served by a pleasant young lady who was most helpful.
we would have stayed on for another night but i really had had enough of the smells and retreated to a premier inn where we had no further problems.

Room Tip: get a room in outside block or away from kitchen
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
6 Thank jessieBelfast
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chenies
De Vere Latimer Estate
#1 of 1 in Chipperfield
Crowne Plaza Gerrards Cross
Crowne Plaza Gerrards Cross
#1 of 7 in Beaconsfield

Been to Bedford Arms Hotel? Share your experiences!