“If you want a drink, don't go here.”

The Jolly Fisherman
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 27 June 2018 via mobile

I get tired of constantly waiting to be served in this pub. If your not eating. You can't get served. If your not a local. You can't get served. If the staff can't be bothered. ( especially the very large brunette girl) you can't get served! I waited 11mins to get 1 drink!! 3 members of staff. 2 people at the bar!! Are you kidding me!! I think luck in your geographic area helps you a lot...if you were anywhere else you would be joining the dole lines. Sort it out fisherman. It's a joke!!

8  Thank FlyingHM

Reviewed 21 June 2018 via mobile

Went to the jolly sailor with family for lunch. Was a very varied menu and very nice. The staff were very pleasant and accommodating, weather was lovely, albeit we sat inside, but added to the overall ambience. Thank you guys

Reviewed 16 June 2018

We had a lovely dog walk along the canal, and sat in the garden. Outside service, then in for puddings & coffee.
Good food choice & specials - easy for fussy veggie, man portions and arty food.
Disabled access loo.
A minor bit of feedback to a staff member on saying I had to go inside for a menu - resulted in charming apology from the manager and coffee and puddings on the house - really not needed - but lovely.

Have been before - love this place - always good.

Jon O, Manager at The Jolly Fisherman, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2018

Dear Ann-Marie,

Thank you for your recent review of our pub. It's great to hear that our menu could accommodate you. Thank you for giving feedback to us, this helps us grow as a pub, we are pleased to hear that it didn't affect your experience.

Looking forward to seeing you again soon!

Regards
Kim
Assistant Manager

Reviewed 15 June 2018 via mobile

This pub has a nice setting. Choice of beers is good but do not eat any food as it is not fresh and tasteless.

Reviewed 3 June 2018

Situated right next to the navigable River Lee at Stansted Abbots, with direct access to the towpath for an enjoyable walk along the riverside.
We were there on a hot and very busy Saturday night but managed to find space on one of the many wooden trestle tables on the lawn by the river after a walk.
Bar service was fine and food came in good time considering how busy they were, and faster than we were told to expect. My partner's Health Salad with Halloumi was fine as far as it went, but there wasn't really a lot of salad in the trendy angled bowl it was served in. It would have been better (and probably with more salad) on a flat plate! My burger was a good size and OK, but nothing special.
My partner, who is disabled, asked the young server (I was in the bar) if she could bring a menu next time she came out. "You have to go inside to get one," she was told and repeated it when asked a second time. Obviously hadn't quite grasped the concept of customer service and smiling, and we suspect was inexperienced and perhaps evidenced a training issue. But she was a one-off and the rest of the staff were very friendly and helpful.
When we gave some feedback, very pleasantly, to the manager about this and the small salad portion, this was well received. These weren't big criticisms, but we believe in giving helpful feedback otherwise how can venue management act on things they don't know about. In fact, she subsequently chose not to charge us for dessert, which we had in no way asked for or expected. So that represents a great attitude, which is why I've told the whole story.
So it's a very pleasant venue, inside as well as out and, for pub food, quite reasonable. Given the location and another hot evening, I guess we might well go again.