“Plainly good” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Bromley
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Plainly good”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 October 2013 via mobile

When I booked this I wasn't expecting much as there is little accommodation in the Bromley area at the bargain end of the market. Upon arrival I was greeted by a delightful and naturally friendly young woman. No corporate cheesy false smile clone she! My room was on the ground floor. It wouldn't have been suitable for a person of nervous disposition as window had no stays to prevent it from being opened wide. The in my room could have easily accommodated three of me which is a very unpleasant thought. The shower room was fine but the only let down was that the so called hot water was dispensed as lukewarm at best. It was a swift but exhilarating shower and the only lasting damage was me almost having to deploy a sink plunger to encourage some of my lower anatomy back down into place. The self service cooked breakfast was possibly one one of the most tasteless I've encouraged since staying in a Holiday Inn Express. This ritual of blandness was overseen by a rather sinister chap who by his suit portrayed the air of ownership of this establishment. If this chap is the owner I would encourage him to lurk unseen so as not to unnerve the punters. He should sit in the background out of sight stroking his cat like any self respecting Bond Baddie. He should only be wheeled if a customer refuses to pay so that he can say"Kill them" and then calmly return to his cat grooming duties, designing nuclear bunkers in North Korea or whatever befits a man of his station. I'm sure he's a nice man really but when you're sitting there observing him, the mind tends to wander to such flights of fancy.
I would return if business took me there again but I'd skip the breakfast. I wouldn't go there with my wife. Romantic it isn't.

• Stayed October 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Kettering, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 September 2013

This hotel is reasonably priced for a south London hotel. Rooms are clean and have on suite facilities. Breakfast is a very good full english buffet, with 2 types of egg, fried and scrambled. Real butter for your toast and a free selection of preserves are all included in the B&B price. Only down side is the restricted parking on site there is room for approx 7 cars, but night parking on the street is a minor problem.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Mumbai
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 September 2013

This was one place where the staff really make you feel at home. My initial room was a little cramped, so they upgraded me to a bigger room. They went out of the way to make me "vegetarian" sausages, assuming that I was vegetarian.. really friendly folks out there, always smiling and willing to help. Breakfast was typical English stuff... rooms are clean and hygienic.

Room Tip: Rooms on the ground floor are bigger, though a bit more expensive
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
dublin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2013

We stayed here for 3 nights. Nice warm welcome. Our Family room was needing a revamp and not very well laid out but rooms are being renovated at the min. Could be a really nice hotel with some tlc. Breakfast was really nice each morning. Staff very helpful. We had some visitors while there, which were also made welcome and enjoyed food and drinks in the lounge. All in all a good base.

• Stayed August 2013
Plymouth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2013

We were made welcome from the moment we arrived.
Our room was basic but very clean and comfortable,if I had one criticism it would have to be that the pillows were to soft I had to use the towels provided to boost them up for my neck suport.
As mentioned in there advert the car park is on the small size but I was very fortunate to occupy
the last remaining space available although it was a tight squeeze getting in.
Breakfast was first class very well laid out and as much as you like, tea ,coffee ,orange juice ect,
The place was full with other guest which is a good sign that the establishment has a good reputation.
I would well recommend it to anyone who had business to attend to in the area or even in my case a stop over on my way to the Euro tunnel.
Kind Regards Mike Z from Plymouth

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2013 via mobile

The Avis was far from a pleasant stay for my family and i.
At reception our greeting was a NEW Young member of staff who said we were booked in for 1 nt instead of 4.
Once it was sorted out we were given the Keys to room 5, a quad family room.
On entering the stained carpet was very noticable.
Im blessed none of us suffers with asthma god knows when the room last had à dusting.
There was 1 single bed with storage so on pulling open the drawer i was appauled to find that someone had à nose bleed in it.
There were still blood stains on the top sheet which was on the bed.
The en suite bathroom was a caravan toilet, tiny.
The shower runs hot,cold then scaulding hot all in 4 mins.
I went to dry my hair and noticed the dryer was last checked back in 2010.
Not a hotel for us but for workmen.....
Painting till gone 10pm and you smelt it .
Breakfast was fine if you like chipped milk hugs and stained cups.
Simon who i had to persume was a manager was helpfull because after being there for 2hrs he showed up ,6pm and offered to find us other accomodation.

• Stayed August 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Travellers are raving about these Bromley hotels

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2013

I stayed for a month in the Avis, it was my first time there after it being recommended by my pal. Wow was he right! Such a lovely place with a great ambience. The staff was genuinely amazing, especially the young lad that was working at reception in the middle of the week I think. He, despite not looking older than 18 was so helpful in all my requests and was always going above the call of duty for me! The rest of the staff were nearly as good (a tough ask) and the family vibes I got from the hotel was so refreshing and helped distinguish this hotel from the others. The food was delightful and the rooms exquisite. The rooms were modern yet had a classical touch to die for. Loved it. Will definitely recommend this place to anyone and everyone!!!!! The fact it was so close to the station was a bonus as well.

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank Yourhelpfulfriend
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bromley
The Bromley Court Hotel
#2 of 2 in Chislehurst
Bull's Head Hotel
Bull's Head Hotel
#1 of 2 in Chislehurst

Been to Avis Hotel? Share your experiences!