“A very nice and friendly hotel”
Review of Avis Hotel

Avis Hotel
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Bromley
London, United Kingdom
“A very nice and friendly hotel”
Reviewed 29 December 2013

We have just had our 4th stay at the Avis Hotel and as usual everything was lovely. This hotel is alway's very clean the staff are so friendly and the food is great. It's in a good location on a quiet road, a short walk to the shopping centre and train station, what more could you want.
Our first stay was for my sons wedding, there were 12 of us staying, we arrived early as arranged and the staff were so kind bringing us tea and coffee so we could refresh after our long drive, before getting ready for the wedding. There is also nice area to sit and read the papers.
So, all in all a really nice place to stay.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Chris T

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Leeds, UK
Reviewed 10 December 2013

I’m spending a couple of days a week in Orpington (where there are no hotels) with work at the moment and I thought I’d try something more interesting than the obvious budget chain hotels. I contacted the Avis to get a quote for a two night stay and I mentioned that this would be a regular occurrence for the next few months. I received an emailed quote back but I had to call up to actually make the booking – even though the hotel has a website, you can’t book there. The website does mention that a discount is available if you don’t take breakfast but when I called to make a booking, I was told that there is in fact no discount available.
I was quoted £54.95 for a single room but the website says it should be £49.95, anyway it’s still comparatively cheap.
The receptionist was reasonably friendly on arrival though I was just waved in the general direction of the room rather than being shown to it, this may have been because there was simply no room for more than one person in the corridor to the room or in the room itself! I can safely say that have never stayed in a smaller room. Not only was it tiny – I could touch the walls on either side of the room when standing in the middle of it, but it was quite tired and run down. When I first entered my room, the occupant of the room next door was having a conversation on the phone with his wife and not only could I hear every word he said, I could hear her side of the conversation too. The walls are so thin that I could hear every floorboard and wardrobe door creak in the rooms either side of mine as well as in the corridor outside. The “en suite” bathroom appears to have been taken straight out of a caravan, it is a claustrophobic plastic box with a shower in it, opposite the loo that is situated so close to the sink that you have to lean over to one side. The whole bathroom has faded from white to a grim yellow colour. The basin drains so slowly you can’t run a tap for more than a couple of seconds before it fills and the temperature of the shower seems to be more dependent on who else is running a tap in the hotel than any movement you make on the shower control itself. Being alternately frozen and then poached in a grotty plastic shower cubicle that’s too small to move your arms properly is an awful experience and not how I want to start a day.
The hotel website states specifically that all rooms have LCD tvs with HDMI ports so I brought a games console to plug into one. This proved impossible without first unplugging the power and aerial leads already inserted into the tv to take it off the wall and locate the hdmi port. Even then it was incredibly difficult because of the positioning of the bracket on the tv and the fact that it sits so close to the wall.
The website also mentions:
-WiFi – it’s flaky at best, both phone and tablet got only one bar and it kept disconnecting
-A Good Nights Sleep. Not in the uncomfortable bed in room no.8
-Clear prices. Yet I was quoted a different amount than is shown on the website, not that clear then.
So, I've got a tiny bed in a tiny room with a bathroom taken out of a caravan and I've wasted 15 minutes taking the tv off the wall while having no choice but to listen to my neighbour talk to his wife on the phone. (btw I can’t talk to mine because there’s no signal on the Three network in my room!)
Breakfast was ok, slightly above average hotel buffet but not enough to make up for the shoebox I’ve just slept in. When enquiring about checking out I was asked whether I wanted to book another stay, I declined even though the manager said that they have bigger rooms (for only a small additional fee!)
They may have bigger rooms, but they’re not as big as the obvious budget chain hotels who cost half as much.
Avis had its chance to win my repeat business but putting me in the smallest, noisiest, least comfortable room wasn't the way to do it.

Room Tip: Avoid no.8
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business

Travellers are raving about these Bromley hotels

bristol
Reviewed 27 October 2013

We stayed for one night. They were excellent at helping to accommodate us as we had cancelled in the morning and then called several hours later and asked if we could still come and they got us a room. There is free parking outside the hotel which was a complete bonus for London. The train station is a 5 minute walk and was super easy for getting into central London. Our room was huge, it had two single beds and one double bed. It was clean and simple. They even turned the heat on for us so when we arrived our room was cozy. Breakfast was fresh and hot. The manager came around each table to ask how everyone's evening was and to come back another time. All in all if this hotel had a bit of money invested in it, it would be double the price to stay. It was simple, so if you are a hotel snob this isn't the hotel for you. But if you are a family that just wants a decent place to stay where your children are accepted then pick Avis hotel.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank alicia g
Exeter, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 October 2013

We were given a warm welcome and the staff were very helpful. The rooms were very clean and the beds were comfortable. Three of us shared a family room and there was plenty of space. The area is quiet, but close to the town centre. Breakfast was excellent. It was freshly cooked.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 October 2013 via mobile

When I booked this I wasn't expecting much as there is little accommodation in the Bromley area at the bargain end of the market. Upon arrival I was greeted by a delightful and naturally friendly young woman. No corporate cheesy false smile clone she! My room was on the ground floor. It wouldn't have been suitable for a person of nervous disposition as window had no stays to prevent it from being opened wide. The in my room could have easily accommodated three of me which is a very unpleasant thought. The shower room was fine but the only let down was that the so called hot water was dispensed as lukewarm at best. It was a swift but exhilarating shower and the only lasting damage was me almost having to deploy a sink plunger to encourage some of my lower anatomy back down into place. The self service cooked breakfast was possibly one one of the most tasteless I've encouraged since staying in a Holiday Inn Express. This ritual of blandness was overseen by a rather sinister chap who by his suit portrayed the air of ownership of this establishment. If this chap is the owner I would encourage him to lurk unseen so as not to unnerve the punters. He should sit in the background out of sight stroking his cat like any self respecting Bond Baddie. He should only be wheeled if a customer refuses to pay so that he can say"Kill them" and then calmly return to his cat grooming duties, designing nuclear bunkers in North Korea or whatever befits a man of his station. I'm sure he's a nice man really but when you're sitting there observing him, the mind tends to wander to such flights of fancy.
I would return if business took me there again but I'd skip the breakfast. I wouldn't go there with my wife. Romantic it isn't.

• Stayed October 2013
Kettering, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 September 2013

This hotel is reasonably priced for a south London hotel. Rooms are clean and have on suite facilities. Breakfast is a very good full english buffet, with 2 types of egg, fried and scrambled. Real butter for your toast and a free selection of preserves are all included in the B&B price. Only down side is the restricted parking on site there is room for approx 7 cars, but night parking on the street is a minor problem.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Mumbai
Reviewed 17 September 2013

This was one place where the staff really make you feel at home. My initial room was a little cramped, so they upgraded me to a bigger room. They went out of the way to make me "vegetarian" sausages, assuming that I was vegetarian.. really friendly folks out there, always smiling and willing to help. Breakfast was typical English stuff... rooms are clean and hygienic.

Room Tip: Rooms on the ground floor are bigger, though a bit more expensive
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bromley
The Bromley Court Hotel
Innkeeper's Lodge Beckenham
Crown Inn
Crown Inn
#2 of 2 in Chislehurst

Been to Avis Hotel? Share your experiences!