“Very nice people”
Review of Coco Plum

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Portobelo
Coco Plum
Ranked #9 of 10 Portobelo B&B and Inns
“Very nice people”
Reviewed 4 February 2014 via mobile

My wife and I enjoyed our very short stay.. The coco plum people is very funny and enjoyable. Regards to Eddy his wife and the owner of the place, very nice people ;-) the neighbor monkey is really funny :D

Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank rubendleon

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Madrid
Reviewed 20 November 2013

We phoned the same day of our arrival, and we needed to arrive before 5pm, as out of season reception closes at that time, and the bar-restaurant maybe a bit later. As other places didn´t reply, we decided to book here for 2 nights, although the woman at the phone sounded very unpleasant. The cabañas are more like a motel, with all decoration of a marinelike theme. We paid 55$ a night (no breakfast included) and you need to pay in advance in cash. Fortunately, once we installed ourselves, the owners were a bit more sympathetic (we talked to the husband the next day, and he´s really very charming). Weather was harsh, the pier wasn´t cleaned for the season yet, so we spent 2 evenings playing cards in our room, making ourselves wonderful rhum-cokes (in the historical centre of Portobelo, a bit far on foot, but a short bus ride away, there are convenience stores), quite a change during this holiday ;-)

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank onzils
Guadalajara
Reviewed 1 January 2013

We rented 2 rooms at the hotel, and stayed for 4 days. We came with the family and had a good time there. The hotel does not have a beach per say, but it has a great dock area where you have the best Caribbean view and you can have drinks, eat and watch the sunset. You can also snorkel right of the dock.
The manager and staff did a great job serving us and giving us recommendations of what to do in the area. They were also very friendly and tried to meet all of our needs - they even stayed late to serve us dinner a couple of days.
For the price, it’s a good place to stay - rooms are clean, air conditioner worked well, the place is quaint and well taken care of, and the food is really good. My daughters loved it and they are already talking about coming back next year.
They do have dogs (although they do not allow guest pets). They were well behaved and played with the kids when we were there. My daughters can’t stop talking about them.
From an improvement standpoint – they don’t have hot water (manager says this is a 2013 project) and they do not accept any kind of credit cards, which was very inconvenient.
Overall we recommend it.

Room Tip: Ask for the rooms that are closest to the beach.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank alex a
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 9 January 2012

We stayed there because lonely planet recommend it. We are budget travelers so for 55$ we expect something a little decent. This coco plum was probably the worst place we stayed at during our 3 months central America trip. First of all we are traveling by bus and the Lodge is located a fair bit from Portobelo so already it was a problem but still not too bad. We first arrived and the owner was the most unpleasant person to be around. We got into the room and the sheets haven't been changed and there was blood on the pillow and hair all over the bed. So we complained and they gave us another room. The second room was cleaner but the mold smell was awful. We could barely breath. Anyway so we decided to go eat at the hotel restaurant because we were so far from town and didn't want to hitch a ride at night. Great surprise the restaurant was closed for no specific reasons. We ended up eating some instant noodle that I had in my backpack. Good times.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
9 Thank Guillaume084

Travellers are raving about these Portobelo hotels

Miami, Florida
Reviewed 27 December 2011

I have stayed at the Coco Plum with my wife twice. The rooms are decent for the price (US$55) and it is a joy to sit on the dock jutting into the bay and read a book and drink a beer.

The first time we stayed there all the light bulbs were 25 watts, making it impossible to read at night. So the next time I bought a 100 watt bulb and cured the problem. Because the Eco Plum is a place you need to self-manage a bit.

The manager (I assume she is also the owner) has a house on the grounds. Rather than make you feel like a guest, she makes guests feel like a bother (a necessary evil).

The food is good at the restaurant and the rooms are the only mid-range option in Portobelo...so I am sure we will continue to frequent Eco Plum. But as we love staying where the owners and staff make you feel like old friends, as soon as another decent option in the Portobelo-Isla Grande area appears, it is "adios, Eco Plum" for us!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Maskotas
Fort Myers, Florida
Reviewed 10 November 2011

Review On Coco Plum Eco-Lodge
Portobelo, Colon, Rep. Of Panama
This cute little place is on the beach, has 12 rooms and when you come out in the back to sit on the beach chairs, it has like a horseshoe effect (all green around it). A snorkeling spot is nearby (in front of a purple house we were told). The backyard is relaxing to eat, drink or go for a dip.
Day 1- Unfortunately we were looking for a relaxation from the city life and we did not find it. It began with getting a price per room over the phone (they take no credit cards). Given one price and then getting another price when we went there. The owner finally honored the price given by her employee. This gave us a bitter taste already. That night we went to sleep and heard her dogs barking all night! I told her the next morning about her dogs, maybe keep them inside so we can have some sleep. She said, I will keep one of them inside. I said thanks. Since we had booked the room for some nights we did not want to come back all edgy and sleep deprived.
Day 2- This afternoon time I had to lay down to sleep because I could not sleep the night before, my husband went on the deck to read. The dogs barking again endlessly. I could not nap, my husband came in the room and said: “you can’t possibly be sleeping with those dogs barking out there” I said, you are right, I can’t sleep again. I got up and told the woman about her dogs and she said: “I have not heard them bark, it must be the neighbor’s dogs”. Meanwhile my husband had been outside looking at them bark and play on the beach. This time at night I had a great night sleep. No dogs barking.
Day 3- The morning of this day, I said thanks for putting the dogs away, I was able to sleep last night, she said "I never put them inside". Unfortunately the dogs barked again all night, I was not able to sleep. I told her in the morning of the check out about it and she said: “hummm”. That was it.
In summary, she has a beautiful, clean place but unfortunately she does not care whether her guests sleep or not. Her restaurant in this hotel is called “las Anclas” (the anchors). It is the best food in town. You have to try the coconut lemonade. We ate there most of the time, we tried food in the main town and a few places nearby: Restaurante La Torre & Scuba panama. Her food is superb and consistent. If I came there again, I would do it for less time or just to eat and sleep somewhere else (not that there are many choices), maybe Scuba I believe is far enough and you would not hear her dogs. We travel a lot, I am not expecting perfection, but I am not being able to sleep is another story. Ah the only cold water was not a problem for us.
It felt as if we were invading “her home”, I don’t mind well behaved dogs. These 2 dogs were not trained and apparently she was in no rush to do something about them either.

Room Tip: don't pick the one by the highway, more traffic noise on top of the dog noise
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
6 Thank karlatravels
Also consider these accommodations in or near Portobelo
El Otro Lado
#2 of 10 in Portobelo
Sister Moon Hotel
Sister Moon Hotel
#1 of 1 in Isla Grande

Been to Coco Plum? Share your experiences!