“Beautiful Church!”

44 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 110 helpful votes
“Beautiful Church!”
Reviewed 24 February 2013

I stopped here on my way from the fort and this is a beautiful church with a lot of history. I had never heard of the church or Black Christ before so it was very interesting. Anyone in the area should not miss this church.

Visited February 2013

Delta B.C.
30 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 96 helpful votes
“Portobelo”
Reviewed 5 January 2013

I visited Portobelo on Thursday December 20 i booked the train excursion trip for $130 at my hotel The Royal Decameron.This trip took us all the way over to the Caribbean side of the country where i got to visit and take in Portabelo as one of towns we visited before we ended our trip with an hour long train ride from Colon up to Panama City.I liked seeing the inside of this church it was even more steeped in history and tradition than one i had visited in Dunedin New Zealand in 2011 so needless to say i was impressed.I was enjoyed seeing three Sisters inside the church(one playing an acoustic guitar) singing Jingle Bells in Spanish along with a very enthuastic group of about thirty plus of Panamain children.This was an awe inspiring experiance for me i'm not a very religious person but the vibe i got from this was very special.They then marched out onto the streets of this small poor town where they kept singing yes the Christmas spirit was alive and well there i'm glad i witnessed this event i only wish i hadn't forgot my camara.I also got to walk and see The Fortress ruins along with huge cannons laying everywhere and where the local Condors/Vultures hang out.I didn't know anything about Captain Morgan and his raids on this town but i found the facts that our guide Josephina gave us fascinating.It was sad to hear that even though that this is a World Unesco Heritage site that people have recentely stole the cannons for their scrap metal value i hope they can stop this from happening any more.I saw the strong Pirate connections first hand on my trips to Cuba so i enjoyed hearing that there is a lot of Pirate tales in Central America as well as The Caribbean and i enjoyed seeing this Portobelo as well as the one i used to visit in my childhood in Scotland to stay at my Aunt and Uncles Seaside Hotel.

Visited December 2012
chitre
31 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 43 helpful votes
“Black CHrist in Purple”
Reviewed 12 December 2012

Interesting,and a decent faithful following congregate there as well. Its worth a few minutes and a fine opportunity for photos.

Visited January 2012
1 Thank mike w
Kamloops, Canada
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 46 helpful votes
“Beautiful church and lots of history”
Reviewed 18 September 2012

Portobelo is a relatively easy drive from Panama City (less than 2 hours- mostly on a four lane toll highway). It doesn't take long and the only tricky part is after you leave the highway and go through town. Keep your eyes peeled for signs. We missed one and had to ask for directions. The two lane highway to Portobelo is in decent condition and is a beautiful, interesting drive.

As you come in to Portobelo you'll see ruins between the road and the water. Be sure to stop. You can park just off the road or pay a dollar or two to park in the dirt lot. There is no entry fee for the fort and you can wander throughout. It has some beautiful views and it is easy to imagine how the Spanish felt as they saw Henry Morgan come sailing into the inlet. You'll need a flashlight to explore the rooms. There hasn't been a lot done to maintain these ruins, but they are really interesting to see. There is also two more forts- one up the hill and one across the water. There are boat men there offering to ferry you across, but we didn't go.

The church itself is in the center of town. Not that imposing from the outside, but really beautiful on the inside. The black Christ has an interesting history and you can find out about it and the area history at the counting house museum.

One thing to be aware of (and it's the same with most of the churches in Panama). Shorts are not appropriate to wear to visit. There is a sign at the front of the church and to be respectful, my husband and son waited outside while my daughter and I toured.

We did Portobelo as a day trip from Panama City and would highly recommend it.

Visited August 2012
toronto
56 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 109 helpful votes
“More than a church”
Reviewed 30 August 2012

once time inside the church you are going to be surrounded for all the history and the charm of a town that have a lot offer, Go to the old custom building on the principal plaza and you will know about all the history of this city, attacked and taken for pirates like henry morgan, surrounded for big forts that can't stop those attacks.
the black Christ, Jesus that came to the town and never leave,a rich mix of cultures and celebrations that make this place unique and special.
The forts around a truly piece of those times, it's just a shame to see how are being destroyed and no body take care about that,
but the visit worth your time.

Visited August 2012