“Statue in a church”

25 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 55 helpful votes
“Statue in a church”
Reviewed 8 September 2013

Interesting story behind the history and continued observance during the festival, but for me, it was just a darker version of the same old thing. Not my scene.

Visited August 2013

Omemee, Canada
151 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 194 helpful votes
“Culture”
Reviewed 16 July 2013

If you are a religious person, this church will probably hold some significance. It is very special to the people and their culture. It is a large church for the size of the community and this is because of the festival that is held there in October. The people dress the Christ in a different robe every year and the robes are very elaborate. The building in behind the church displayed the robes, but they were not there when we visited because vandals had damaged the building. They had to move the robes to a safe place.

Visited July 2013
1 Thank Julie H
Lafayette, Louisiana
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“If you never make it to Cuba but are interested....”
Reviewed 16 July 2013

The visit to the church of The Black Christ reminded us fondly of our experiences in Cuba with some of the Catholic and Santeria traditions there.

Visited June 2013
1 Thank Cherry Fisher M
Washington DC, District of Columbia
44 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 109 helpful votes
“Beautiful Church!”
Reviewed 24 February 2013

I stopped here on my way from the fort and this is a beautiful church with a lot of history. I had never heard of the church or Black Christ before so it was very interesting. Anyone in the area should not miss this church.

Visited February 2013
Delta B.C.
31 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 98 helpful votes
“Portobelo”
Reviewed 5 January 2013

I visited Portobelo on Thursday December 20 i booked the train excursion trip for $130 at my hotel The Royal Decameron.This trip took us all the way over to the Caribbean side of the country where i got to visit and take in Portabelo as one of towns we visited before we ended our trip with an hour long train ride from Colon up to Panama City.I liked seeing the inside of this church it was even more steeped in history and tradition than one i had visited in Dunedin New Zealand in 2011 so needless to say i was impressed.I was enjoyed seeing three Sisters inside the church(one playing an acoustic guitar) singing Jingle Bells in Spanish along with a very enthuastic group of about thirty plus of Panamain children.This was an awe inspiring experiance for me i'm not a very religious person but the vibe i got from this was very special.They then marched out onto the streets of this small poor town where they kept singing yes the Christmas spirit was alive and well there i'm glad i witnessed this event i only wish i hadn't forgot my camara.I also got to walk and see The Fortress ruins along with huge cannons laying everywhere and where the local Condors/Vultures hang out.I didn't know anything about Captain Morgan and his raids on this town but i found the facts that our guide Josephina gave us fascinating.It was sad to hear that even though that this is a World Unesco Heritage site that people have recentely stole the cannons for their scrap metal value i hope they can stop this from happening any more.I saw the strong Pirate connections first hand on my trips to Cuba so i enjoyed hearing that there is a lot of Pirate tales in Central America as well as The Caribbean and i enjoyed seeing this Portobelo as well as the one i used to visit in my childhood in Scotland to stay at my Aunt and Uncles Seaside Hotel.

Visited December 2012