“Best of Ecuadorian Coast”

Royal Decameron Mompiche
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Mompiche
Reviewed 26 August 2011

Decameron Mompiche is simply the best all inclusive resort in Ecuador. The only thing that is not so smooth is ground arrival. There is about two miles of second order dirt road right before getting to the resort. But, once inside there's nothing to miss from outside. Perfectly clean rooms, great food and drinks and amazing facilities. They have a private island with a nice beach where you can relax or try a lot of different activities.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank pintofamily

Reviewed 8 June 2011

Visited the Decameron Mompiche resort this past Memorial Day, and I have to say that I was very disappointed. Two years ago I stayed at the Decameron Marazul in San Andres Island, Colombia, and in comparison, this resort was far inferior. I’ll list my pros and cons, and allow the reader to decide for him/herself, but I would invest my money elsewhere.

Pros:

The property is absolutely beautiful. Very aesthetically appealing.
Isabel (one of the managers) made out whole trip. She was competent, polite, courteous, gracious and welcoming. She even flew to Quito to usher our travel group into the second part of our vacation. She was with us for almost the whole trip; always the first one there and the last to leave. I felt bad because it seemed like she was always present and never went home. But she went out of our way to make us feel like truly welcomed guests.

Francisco is an amazing tour guide! Full of energy a lot of fun! Suzanne is a great guide as well. Make sure you have her if you take a tour to Cojimies.

Speaking of which, when on the Cojimies tour, be sure to stop my the Restaurant Safir, an small outdoor restaurant that right on the water as soon as you dock. The fried shrimp is awesome!
The sushi at the Japanese restaurant is really good, and I’m not a big sushi eater (the rest of the food though, not so great)

Cons:
Unfortunately, that was the most I saw of Cojimies. We did not get to tour the island. We left soon after we ate; I think it may have been a schedule or time issue between the guides and the resort, but I never did learn the exact reason.
The food o the resort is reminiscent of a cafeteria… bland, not very creative and some of it just didn’t look appealing at all.
The front desk staff is not very competent (even if you speak Spanish, which I do). There are very few English speaking staff members, so if you are going to stay here, you might want to brush up on some travel Spanish, although it will only help so much. You have to ask them to bring you someone who speaks English, and even still, there is no guarantee that your needs will be met.

Keep your receipts or get receipts if you get a room safe of put a deposit on the phone. I pre-paid a deposit for the safe for 5 days (Although I was only staying 4), and they still charged me for an extra day, saying that I had not paid the amount that I said I had. Unfortunately, I didn’t get a receipt when I put down the deposit, so I just paid the few dollars to be rid of the headache.
The resort is large and there are no elevators or escalators. Be prepared to walk everywhere.
Bring food with you. There are periods between breakfast and lunch, and lunch and dinner, where nothing on the resort is open. Everything shuts down to prepare for the next meal, so if you go out on an all-day excursion, don’t expect to come back to the resort to have a nice meal. You will be disappointed. And since this resort is literally in the middle of nowhere (2 hour bus ride on partially paved, bumpy mountain roads from the Esmereldas airport), there is nowhere for you to go and grab a bite to hold you over until dinner. Also, there begin to take the food away 30-45 minutes before the posted time the meal is supposed to end, so get there early.
There are several beautiful pools on the resort, but there are only open between 10 am and 6 pm, nightly. The pools are lighted and one overlooks the oceans, Night swimming would be ideals, but they do not permit swimming after 6 p.m.
There is no spa (which you’ll need after all the walking you have to do!).
Do not expect to sleep in. They start groundskeeping, lawn maintenance and pool cleaning at the crack of dawn.
You cannot drink the water, so practice showering with your mouth closed. They do provide bottled water however, for you to drink/brush your teeth.
The tours/excursions lack some very significant details. Two examples:
The Tsachilas community tour- it involves an 8 hour total bus ride (4 hours coming and going). The tours itself, however, is only about 90 minutes. It is more like a sneak peek than a tour. The Tsachila people are very warm and friendly, but it is not an in depth tour, so you will have to decide if those 90 minutes are worth the ride. (Since I’m very much into learning about other cultures, it was worth it for me, but I would have thought twice, had I known I’d be spending a third of my day on a bus).
The Mache Chindul Waterfalls- since the resort supplies rubber boots, it is not necessary to pack your own hiking boots (contrary to what the brochure says). You will need a long sleeved shirt though, because of all the trees and plants you may brush up against while walking/riding (some may be poisonous). You will be on a horse for 5 hours total (it’s about a 2 and a half hour ride one way), and most likely you will be in a wooden saddle with little or no cushion. Be prepared; your glutes will be unhappy with you the next few days. This much more of a grueling excursion that it seems on paper, but it is a lot of fun. Don’t forget to bring your own water!

If you have done (or plan to do) the Mache Chindul Waterfalls excursion, there is no need to do the Eco Hike or the Horseback Riding on the Beach excursion: it’s overkill. You will not want to ride another horse or see any more nature after the waterfalls tour; it takes care of both needs in one trip.

The beaches are gorgeous, but overall useless. There is a colored flag system that lets you know what the conditions of the beach are and if it is safe to swim. The whole time I was there, the beaches were indicated as ‘dangerous’ and not conducive for swimming. There was either rough surf or it was plagued by jellyfish (The jellyfish were such a problem that they cancelled all of the snorkeling tours!)
There are no clocks in the rooms. Bring a watch or a cell phone.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends
22  Thank msfiyah01
Reviewed 19 April 2011

We just left Mompiche a couple of days ago and having been at other resorts this one I have to say needs a little work.
Here is our take:
Check in manager could be a little nicer smile a little more.. She isn't one to just greet you welcome you and so forth... She instead gets to the point and done. Doesn't make you feel too welcomed (my impression).
Hotel room gorgeous! Everything modern clean rooms are big.. But get ready to walk a lot if you happen to have rooms in buildings 10 18 and so forth. But we didn't complain we liked the walk. We had a room with ocean view. Outstanding view!
Pools clean fresh and slot of them they werent overcrowded which is sometimes an issue in some hotels..but not this one I believe they have over 5 pools.
Food, though we only had buffet meals they lacked variety. Literally one bar of saads one bar for fruits desserts. One for soups (2 choices) and the main course only have 5 choices. Other resorts win big in this section. The service in restaurant lacks interest. The staff need to tend to the clients a litle more they only came around once. In the morning they would come to us and offer coffee or hot chocolate they would serve and we would never see them again. During lunch they would come by with water and that was It. I would expect them to check in on us every once in a while to se if we needed soft drinks or juice.. Nope not them we would have to get our own drinks. But they were quick to pick up plates.
Pool side snacks, almost close to none. Pizza, hamburger, hot dogs.. One day they actually had nachos. But you can't eat it by pool.. You have to eat it in designated area.
Drinks they were ok. I would have to tell you piña coladas lack the icy part that makes it drinkable. It's literally a juice they throw some vodka in and there.
Entertainment A +++ they are on every night and they are fun to participate in and or watch though a little late they start at 10 pm. But you have the karaoke room, game room, movie theatre, bars, clubs that keep you busy other times. The hotel offers many other things to kep their guests busy so in that area great!
Beach while in the am this a big strip of beach area right by the grounds by 1 you have to make sure you eithere know how to swim or not go in at all waters ar rough unless you take the short boat ride across to the other part of the grounds and enjoy the beach on that side which is quieter, whiter sands, wider beach area. And before I forget the trip to the hotel is pretty long you should be prepared for bumpy roads and a long ride.
Again I have Been to many resorts and this is a good hotel but I do think they need a little more to make it great! Which I'm sure they can! If you aren't a member be prepared to be hounded by the sales people I quickly told them we belong to another chain and I had RCI as well but thanked them for trying. Before I forget wifi is5 bucks for the hour and transportation is 25 from Quito not what they quote you via phone or email.

Room Tip: Ask for the buildings closest to lobby or pools.
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
6  Thank Acer898
Reviewed 15 February 2011

I am usually not a big fan of all inclusive holidays but for once i really enjoyed it! I went with my girlfriend, sister and my mother. The transportation by plain and bus is well organised. Once upon check-in our front office staff would not speak english... As I have been living here for some time my spanish was absolutely sufficient. We were led to our rooms and this was my favourite part. the rooms are abolutely nice. clean, huuge beds and a stunning few (depending what room you book). The next missing derail was how the safe was handled. We had to return to the reception and rent a key for 3$ a day. So no electronic safes and the worst part was, they would write the room number on the safe key?!?! (so better do not loose it!!) The food is usually what is most spoken about when talking to ecuadorians about the hotel. It is..... very good. Not THE most amazing offer ever seen, but it tasted always good. In the evening would follow the shows. And as I said, i am not the experienced all inclusive traveler, but i enjoyed them. Later on the discos were opened. The beach on the island is very nice, and the mini restaurant serves good burgers, hotdogs and fruits. Of course, also the Piña Colada was always great! In another review was mentioned that there would be no bathrooms on the island, well at least today they do have.

A point to mention: In case you are not good with stairs, mention it when booking your room!!! There are rooms located up the hill and there are only stairs... Unfortunately also the Entertainment location is on top of this hill...

After all I enjoyed it a lot, the are very few white people ( I am swiss by the way), the food was good, the staff may learn to be a little more attentative and smile a little more, but they have always treated us well.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank swissvegas
Reviewed 11 August 2010

School reunion group of 19 women. All accomodation are similar to a cruise ship. You get a bracelete or you are unkown subject. This hotel doesn't have extensive beach as presented to us. The island of Portete is right at front of the hotel and here you find the extensive beach, we had to be transported by small bessel to this beach, where you find the bar, whoever there are not bathroom facilities and is you need you have to rush and come back to the hotel, or as I look at some people they go into the water as a solution These is not a good accommodation as they said. Bathroom facilities at the hotel have a lot to desire, a bathroom near the buffet are had a terrible smell all the time.
This hotel is not for people with any pshysical disability of for handicapped, each room entrance has at least 16 steps that are pretty narrow and slippery on the rainy days.
Buffet service is fine for all the hungry people! The restaurants Miso has good service and very friendly, The Acantilado is almost a buffet style and service is poor, we didn't tried the Mediterranean. The shows are horrible, one of the guys who did the aerobics did the show that was not funny or good!
Good luck, I will not recomend to any body with good common sense. For the money go to Miami!

• Stayed: August 2010
3  Thank crosspi
Reviewed 20 June 2010

Fifty-four of us from the Alliance Academy International in Quito--the senior class and ten sponsors (I am one)--spent June 3-8 2010 there for our Senior Trip, and had a wonderful time. The food is generally excellent, with several hours for each meal, plus great variety--and the all-you-can-eat buffet was great for our hungry teenagers! The rooms were kept spotless, as were the grounds in general. It is a beautiful location. The very loud nightly live programs (mixed in quality) were in an open-air theater far away from the rooms, so early sleepers were not disturbed. The variety of on-site and nearby daytime activities is helpful, and most are included in the one-price-covers-almost-everything deal. Disappointments: 1. The "hot"-tubs weren't hot...ranging from cool to lukewarm. 2. The "hot"-tubs were closed at 6:00pm (!), along with most swimming pools...so no enjoying a jacuzzi under the stars. 3. There's not much to do at the resort after dark. 4. TV programming is very limited. 5. No thermostat control on the air conditioners in the room--either full blast ON (very cold) or OFF...means either freezing overnight or sticky humidity in the room. 6. Not enough chocolate desserts! Lots of flan and mousse... 7. A big problem for us was that none of the bartenders would prepare "virgin" drinks; our under-age kids would have enjoyed a non-alcoholic pina colada or margarita, but the bartenders just laughed at us. Very inhospitable attitude, and a major criticism, since they had the ingredients but refused to serve us. Intriguingly, the bartenders offered to gladly serve our underage kids alcoholic drinks even though they were wearing the "No Alcohol" armbands. Unethical. 8. Wireless internet access is VERY expensive per hour or per day! Even with these drawbacks, we are recommending that next year's senior class take a close look at the Royal Decameron for the 2011 Senior Trip.

• Stayed: June 2010
4  Thank gcniner
Reviewed 31 March 2010

We stayed for a week on this brand new resort. We traveled with my two young daughters and my parents. Everything was beyond my expectations. Rooms were huge with beatifull terraces overlooking the estuary. Recommend it for sure and look forward to stay there in the future.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled with family
2  Thank SonySdO
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mompiche
Hotel Crucero
#13 of 19 in Mompiche
The Mudhouse Hostel
The Mudhouse Hostel
#1 of 19 in Mompiche

Been to Royal Decameron Mompiche? Share your experiences!