“An Experience worth a million praises”
Review of BelHome Homestay

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Madapura
BelHome Homestay
Ranked #1 of 3 Madapura B&B and Inns
Mumbai (Bombay), India
“An Experience worth a million praises”
Reviewed 2 November 2011

Awesome hosts. They are thorough professionals but at the same time will take every effort to make your stay a very pleasurable one. I visited Bel Home with parents and they compared the look, feel and quality with the B&Bs of England. Even though we had veg food - it was finger licking (literally i did tht on couple of accassions). If you plan to stay here don't think twice ! and if you plan to stay in Coorg - Don't miss staying in Bel Home.. your experience will be incomplete !! If you still have doubts please feel free to write to me !

• Stayed December 2010, travelled on business
10 Thank kshah2823

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Bengaluru, India
Reviewed 13 October 2011

Bel home stay is an example for how the home stay should be. It scores perfect 10 for everything, rooms, location, hosts .. etc. You do not have to search for another home stay in Coorg.
Hosts, Vijai and Romolla are so caring, I felt like, we knew each other from long time. They were in touch with us from the time we started from Bangalore and guided us how to reach Bel Home and also guided us in visiting places in Coorg. They were with us during breakfast and dinner talking about their tradition, estate and many things. Food was delicious, you just can't miss it.
We were lucky to see an elephant working in their estate. Vijai took us to a view point(Makkalgudi betta) which is better than Raja Seat.

Thanks you Vijai and Romolla, We will come again!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Santhoshbn
New Delhi, India
Reviewed 5 October 2011

----------------------------------------------------------------------
In the words of our daughter (age 6 yrs) ...
the place was nice and the room was cool
1. the flowers were nice in the room excellent
2the dog was nice what a nice place the food was tasty.
3. bellhome looked very beautiful and pretty.
4.the nice cool air was nice in coorg.
thank you Ramolla aunty and Vijay uncle.
wow!!
----------------------------------------------------

We found out about this place from a friend. We wanted to get away from it all, and Belhome definitely fulfilled on that promise. The rooms are in a separate cottage, with an attached verandah - overlooking the estate and the approach road. They are spacious, clean and comfortable.

Be prepared to settle fights among the kids (if any are travelling with you) as to who gets to sit on the planters' chairs, or join the fights for them as well :). A great place to put up your feet and relax - either read a book, or stare out at the greenery (there is plenty of it), hear the birds chirping, cicadas calling out, etc. Or if you cannot sit still, there is plenty of space to walk around the estate, or among the well maintained garden at the house - just be prepared to get your hiking boots (or some good outdoor shoes) along.

The meals were sumptious, delicious and at homely at the same time - defeating any desire to watch our waistlines. Being vegetarians, we found that we had choice, with the variety changing daily.

Our hosts, Ramolla and Vijay took every effort to make us feel at home, taking care to see that our stay was comfortable, and that our little one was looked after. We saw this right from the time we arrived at Belarimotte, when Vijay came down to the main road to pick us up, as the approach road was in a bad condition owing to the monsoons. Vijay and Ramolla were very knowledgable about the Coorgi culture and coffee, and sharing some interesting vignettes. Vijay took us around - to some very scenic viewpoints - including a trail that passes by Kottebetta - 3rd highest peak in Coorg. For the hardy hikers, he will also help to arrange transport to trails of interest. You cannot leave Coorg without buying coffee, spices and home-made jams & jellies. Vijay and Ramolla happily shared with us the right places to buy them in Mercara, and gave us tips on what to watch out for. We came as guests, but left as friends. Thank you Ramolla and Vijay!

The drive to Belarimotte is to put it mildly, very interesting. At Suntikoppa, you leave the well-macadammed SH 88 (Mysore-Madikeri road) and get on to the Madapur road. The 10-15 km winding road is very scenic, taking you past coffee estates on both sides. Traffic density is low, there are very less people, and one was reminded of the passages from 'Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance' :) - my kingdom for a Bullet or a Harley, or an open air Jeep ?? The estate is a further 5 km beyond Madapur, through more winding and narrower roads. The place is remote - about 25 km away from Madikeri, but perfectly secure, and definitely fitted into our idea where we wanted to spend our holiday. A warning - those with tendencies for road sickness should have their medication handy.

What you won't get, and definitely won't miss:
- A Resort - swimming pool, et al. -- Global warming must definitely be getting stronger, if you feel the need to jump into one here
- Internet connectivity, Reliable cell phone connections: Seriously, if you want to get away from it all - leave your laptops, tablets and smartphones behind. Keep a cell phone only for emergency purposes, or for their cameras. If you're an avid star gazer, get your telescope.
- Cable TV / Soap operas: Leave them along with your smartphones. There are no TVs in the rooms.

This is the perfect place for those wanting a holiday at a slow-pace, fresh air, and plenty of quiet.

Room Tip: Both the rooms are good.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
6 Thank KarthikSrini
Kent
Reviewed 30 September 2011

I really enjoyed my time at Bel Home, the hosts Vijai & Ramolla were lovely and it was really interesting chatting to them about their culture etc. The location is great, surrounded by coffee plantations and ideal for walking. It was lovely sitting on the terrace listening to the birds. The food was delicious.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
7 Thank TheWombatTree
Bangalore, India
Reviewed 25 April 2011

In order to experience the acclaimed Coorgi hospitality and cuisine, homestays are advisable in perpetuum. Our forage for a serene and commodious homestay concluded as we ran our eyes over the extensive panegyrics about “Belhome”. Thereafter, we never gave it a second thought. The entire experience from booking till departure from the homestay was extremely ingratiating.
The hosts are welcoming and amiable. Our grudges after experiencing the approach road turned into beatific smiles as we met them. We often spent time in conversing about farming and my confabulation with Mr Vijay’s mother about Coorgi culture and marriages was very enlightening. We were quite impressed by wide and extensive erudition of agronomy of Mr Vijay and his father.
Last but not the least, the delectable Coorgi cuisine which they dished up, should not be consigned to oblivion. The taste still lingers in our palates.
Sukanya and Indraneel

• Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
3 Thank sukanya_saha
Chennai (Madras), India
Reviewed 10 April 2011

Hi Everyone,

I would like to recollect my beautiful experience at Bel Home stay at Coorg.I visited Coorg on 25th feb along with my parents.We started around 11 a.m from bangalore in a cab and we reached Madikeri around 5:15.Cause there were some places to be visited on our way,we started first with Tibetan golden temple.Hmm,my it was an awesome temple with minute architectural works that can pull any one's attraction and make them stand gazing at it for hours.

It was a colorful temple that could speak a lot about Tibetan monastery too.We saw so many monks(both male and female and also both young and old) with so much of energy and busy with their work.After visiting the temple we were tired with our travel,so we decided to reach our place of stay 'Bel Home'.

Bel Home ,yep this was the homestay that I opted for our stay after searching in the net and after so much of dilemmas.This place is a 45 minutes drive from Madikeri and was close to Suntikoopa.By the time we were reaching the place it was getting dark,and we found it a little difficult to locate the place too during the night,but the owners Mrs.Ramolla Vijay and Mr.Vijay were too good that they helped us reach the place without any fear and were guiding us in our direction to the home throught the call.And Mr.Vijay was kind enough to come and receive us a little before their estate(Bel Home).Our driver was little panicked on seeing the path way during the night,but trust me it was not that hard at all during our travels from the home and to the sight seeing places the following days.The driver himself who was cribbing for the path complimented the place and said its only little difficult the first time cause we reached their at late hours.

around 8:45 we reached Bel Home,where we were greeted by Ramolla and Vijay.Then we refreshed ourselves and reached our Dining area around 9:15 pm,where we were served with yummy food like chicken,peas pulav,coorg spl items like Kadubu and so on.Food was freshly prepared in homestyle by the maid whose husband was born and brought up at Bel Home from his childhood,a loyal man indeed.We were able to have a small talk with Vijay and Ramolla,after which we went for our nap.

Guess what the next day was my dad's birthday,and based on my request Ramolla had got us a birthday cake.It was morning when we really had a chance to addmire the beauty of th eplace.It was a quite and serenic estate bungalow,where anyone would love to stay for days together.It was a beautifully maintained estate bungalow.We were given the cottage next to the owners(Devaiah family).The cottage had two family rooms with a common lounge and sit out.In the side of the sit out was were dinner was served.The place had so many flowers where a person like my mom will get fascinated a lot.

Around nine thirty all of us were ready after a bath to have our breakfast.That was when Ramolla got my dad's birthday cake(Black forest) which was yummy and gud.My dad was surprised to see the birthday cake and was happy too to celebrate his birthday there amongst the family and in the new environment.After cutting the cake we visited Uncle and aunt who were Vijay's dad and mom .Uncle was a energetic and enthusiastic man in his 80's ,aunt was a smiling and sweet lady too.We(my family ) took their blessings and had a chat with them too.We felt as if we are in our own home,we never felt uncomfortable at all.Trust me it isn't exaggeration the entire family were so sweet and humble too.Then we started out and went for sight seeing to Kushal nagar and places nearby,we visited Thala cauvery and Dharmasthala on the way and on our return we visited Raja's seat, a small park indeed and then the Omkareshwara temple.Know what on 26th feb there was a small curfew which was due to muslim ,hindu riot,so people were requested to get back to their habitats soon.Ramolla called us to inform the same and she was caring enough to keep a track on where we were and if we had any difficulties too.

Then on our way we purchased Coorg spl items like honey,home made fish pickle and some clothes from a souveniour shop called Nambikkae near to old lic office,where the money collected was given to a NGO.

We reached Bel Home around seven that day.Know what on the way to Bel Home is a small bridge which looks like a place seen in cinemas with water stream and it was lush green throught the way.

And to our surprise we had a major feast during dinner where we were served with cutlets,another coorg spl food,chicken and other vegetarian items too as my mom was a vegetarian.

And to add all to these the Bel Home had two tents for people who preferred to have some different kind of stay and experience.Since I went with my parents I couldn experience staying in a tent.But I did get a chance to see them,they were good with the appearance of a bedroom with proper rest room facilities too.But these tents are not recommended by the owners themself during monsoon time.These tents were next to their vanilla plantation,hmmm you can get nice aroma from them,the way to the home has both cofee planatations and pepper too.They have got orange trees too.

They treated us like one in their family,we saw pictures of coorg wedding style of Vijay and Ramolla and we heard a lot about Kodavas and their lifestyle too.

We were recommended to go for trekking ,but since my parents were aged we dropped that idea.The nest day which is our last day of stay at Bel Home we started around 8 a.m bidding good bye to them ,with a few pics taken with them in their remberance.We actually wanna extend our stay but due to my official work we were forced to start on our third day.For anyone who would love to stay at peace and who wanna a great relaxation from your routine work I would recommend u';; to visit this place.cause I really felt the service and the place to be too good and relaxing.And people who wanna hang out with friends too you can try opting the tents here and have a different adventurous experience.

I have added a few pics of the place,you can have a look at them.

Wish I get a chance to revisit the place soon jez for relaxation alone from the monotonous work.

Hey folks I have jez added a few pics(am not a great photographer),so its better u'll get a chance to visit the place and people to realise the beauty that is found there.

Room Tip: A really worthy place and people to stay with
  • Stayed February 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank Tweetyhere
Stuttgart, Germany
Reviewed 5 March 2011

To start with, I really didnt feel like I am staying in a paid place. I felt like I had just visited my cousins. Ramolla and Vijai are a lovely couple and are great hosts. I had gone to the Coorg district for the first time and if this is what I can expect, then I think its worth all the money.
Location: completely serene and picturesque. Dont expect a signal for your mobile unless you own a BSNL connection. The home stay is in the midst of Vijai's coffee estate. A little hard to access unless you have your own vehicle. The approach is a little tedious, but it lasts just for a kilometer and after that it is all paradise.

the stay: Didnt see any issues with the rooms. they are neat and have an excellent atmosphere. The dining place is the best. A little scary in the night, if you are afraid of darkness. But hey, you are inside a coffee estate...!!! The hosts will take you around the place, where they grow vanilla, avocado etc....

the food: blaaaaaaah....!!! no words. The food was awesome. The cook they have can cook anything (probably). Being a vegetarian, I absolutely loved the food. I presume it would be heaven for the non veggies....

In short, I might plan an other trip to coorg sometime later this year and I have no reservations against going back to the Bel Home

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank preshi
Also consider these accommodations in or near Madapura
Coorg Jungle Camp Backwater Resort
Orange County, Coorg
#1 of 1 in Siddapura
5.0 of 5 bubbles 1,688 reviews
Silver Brook Estate Homestay

Been to BelHome Homestay? Share your experiences!