“Excellent food.”
Review of The Great House

The Great House
Reserve with OpenTable
The Great House is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 18 Restaurants in Hawkhurst
Price range: US$30 - US$50
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, After-hours, Reservations
Description: The Great House pub and restaurant, between the Kent villages of Cranbrook and Hawkshurst, is set in some of the most celebrated countryside in all of Europe. Within its own superbly kept grounds, this 16th century inn more than lives up to its location with roaring log fires, ancient beams and Mediterranean inspired terrace for summer time al fresco dining, leading on to a typically Kentish garden, complete with aromatic herbs and a lynch gate. The Great House is known throughout the area as one of the loveliest places to dine, earning awards for its food and its atmosphere, offering not only a wealth of wines and well kept beers on tap but a full, delicious menu of both old fashioned British favourites and contemporary, exotic dishes, each made using locally sourced, high quality and fresh ingredients. A real family favourite, The Great House welcomes children with a specially composed menu of tempting but healthy options in smaller sized portions.
Reviewed 1 August 2014

How good to find such a well run restaurant that serve such great food, the roasts on Sunday's are as good as any I have tried, very clean and good standards throughout. Only one gripe, sitting in the bar to eat I found the service almost non existent, very friendly when they were there but we did feel alienated and having to leave the payment with the bar staff is pretty poor, but that did not affect the standard of the food.

Reviewed 30 July 2014

I too adore this place. It's like a country pub rolled into a French restaurant, and the food and service always 1st class. I've been coming here for years, and have always felt really happy with the experience. I took my children there often and they were treated really well and the owner sat down and chatted to us informally afterwards as he was interested in our opinions. Service was always pleasant and accommodating, the garden is nice if you want to dine al-fresco and you can eat in the pub area as well, but the dining area is very nice. Definitely a place I will return to many times in the future.

Reviewed 29 July 2014

Have never been let down here, whether I have met a friend for supper or used the private dining room for 20 for a lunch. The staff and service have always been warm and friendly. Never been disappointed. Over Christmas 2013 when we were without electricity for 10 days The Great House were there trying to help in anyway they could. A great local to have!

Reviewed 27 July 2014

Went to The Great House on Friday for a birthday lunch with a friend. I liked the decor, the restaurant is also clean, tidy, airy and light. A good atmosphere with friendly staff. The food was delicious; tasty, well presented and fresh.

This was my first visit and I will come again.

1  Thank Z0eY123
Reviewed 22 July 2014

I love this place. It's comfortable, charmingly quiet, and the food and service are top-notch. I've been coming here for a number of years, and have always felt totally satisfied with the experience. On my trip to the UK this year, I actually ate here twice, as everything was so good on the first evening, I had to return to try out the other items I'd spotted on the menu that looked so appealing. The first night I had two starters in lieu of an entree, and both were very sizable and excellent. My second meal was a little less than perfect, as I found the sauce on the otherwise excellent lamb chops to be a bit salty for my taste... but then, I'm not a fan of salt in general. Desserts were super, as was the modestly priced pinot grigio. Service was pleasant and accommodating, and I had two leisurely meals in a relatively noise-free atmosphere. Definitely a place I will return to yet again in the future.