“Lovely Hotel, but unwelcoming staff”
Review of The Royal Oak

The Royal Oak
The Royal Oak
Ranked #7 of 7 Hawkhurst B&B and Inns
Reviewed 26 June 2012

We enjoyed our stay at the Royal Oak, the rooms were lovely and the breakfast in the morning was nice. However staff upon our arrival were unwelcoming, abrupt and rude.
We were going for a concert at the Bedgebury Pinetum. Make sure you book a return taxi before your reservation.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
There are newer reviews for The Royal Oak

Reviewed 26 June 2012

Do not go to this hotel! I sent an e mail and requested a bath and a shower and a room at the back, we were telephoned and told that they had booked those options for us, we were given the opposite, a bath and a room at the front, however, we decided that it would be fine. We sat in the restaurant for dinner, we were served our meals mine being duck and my partner asked for his steak to be medium rare, it was well done, so we sent it back, the chef came out extremely ANGRY and started to have an ARGUMENT with my boyfriend, we are in our late 40’s and this was our 4th year anniversary, we kept cool, then the MANAGERESS came out and abruptly stated that we did not know what a medium rare steak was and that we either had blue or rare steak or ordered something else from the menu!!! So we ordered a PLAIN burger. I had eaten my meal, the burger eventually arrived, and when my partner took a bite out of it, it was covered in relish and black pepper. He could not eat it, so we had no choice but to send it back, and this time the CHEF and the MANAGERESS came to our table and both were SHOUTING ABUSE at us, telling us that we should eat at McDonald’s and that she was charging us for two meals and throwing us out of the hotel!!! After a 5 minute heated discussion, totally SHOCKED, we left and luckily found a “last room” at the Queens Inn hotel across the road, it was slightly more expensive but we had a superb stay, in a four poster bedroom, exceptional breakfast and enjoyed the Plan B concert that we had booked at Christmas time.

Room Tip: Was not given the room that we asked for, however, young girls were very sweet
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Brenda G
Reviewed 15 June 2012

good food / frendly people / clean .nothing too much trouble breakfast was exelent and the same for the evening meal.only one drawback no shower in the bathroom only a bath but pleanty of hot water

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 4 June 2012

Fab hotel very clean staff really lovely and very helpful food was the best will be booking again.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 May 2012

This is a great place!. Booked through 'LateRooms' @£39.95 including breakfast this represented excellent value for money. Knowing I was scheduled to arrive earlier than a normal check-in time, I rang beforehand to ask if I may book in to my room for 1pm in readiness for an afternoon meeting nearby. No problem, nothing too much trouble. The new owners were in the process of installing new audio equipment in the bar area, and although it was somewhat chaotic, a girl called Hannah (who was so helpful) had made sure my room was ready and also explained how the new owners are trying to improve the hotel. To begin with, easy parking, and the hotel looks inviting from the outside. Beautiful decor inside, and quite a nice garden at the rear. My room had obviously been refurbished (No.6) and was of a good size, especially the bathroom. Light oak beams, nice toiletries, lovely towels, and a great flat screen TV. Minor issues, main light did not work, kettle lead too short to the plug, shower a bit hit and miss (showerhead, not power-shower), no towel rail which was daft considering the amount of space in there, and the only mirror was a tiny one above the sink which again I thought was odd. HOWEVER, these are minor points, and did not detract from the overall experience. Although I didn't eat there in the evening, the menu looked fantastic, and the breakfast (full English) was brilliant. I certainly wish the owners well, and would definitely go back. You shouldn't be disappointed.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 9 April 2012

My husband and I stayed here overnight after visiting friends in Hastings as part of a Groupn deal. The room was basic but fine with a large flat-screen tv, tea and coffee facilities and a good sized bathroom with shower. However, where the hotel excelled was its restaurant and service. Both of us had trouble making a choice from the menu as everything sounded good. However eventually we plumped for whitebait and pate to start and duck and rib-eye steak for mains. The food was beautifully presented and delicious. Full English breakfast the next morning was just as good. The service was lovely and the staff welcoming. Would definitely recommend and would stay again if in the area.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 March 2012

My room was very clean and spacious. The shower was nice and hot and clean. My room had a double and a single bed which was comfortable. Nice clean white sheets. Tea and coffee making
Facilities and a good sizes free view tv in the room. In the bar and restaurant i felt relaxed as there was a good atmospher to the place. I was really impressed with the food I ate in the evening and at breakfast time. Quite large portions but still packed with lots of flavour. I would definitely stay here if I was in this area again.

• Stayed: March 2012
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hawkhurst
Star & Eagle Hotel
The Queen's Inn
#1 of 7 in Hawkhurst
Orchard Way Bed & Breakfast
Tudor Rose Bed and Breakfast

Been to The Royal Oak? Share your experiences!