“Truly terrible”

Ranked #7 of 7 Hawkhurst B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Truly terrible”
Reviewed 27 August 2013

Pretty much everything about our stay was awful. Exhibit A: check-in wasn't until 5pm. We had to be at a wedding by 4pm. Exhibit B: we were given permission to get changed in the bedroom (wahoo), but it was less than clean. In fact, the bathroom was verging on disgusting. Exhibit C: check-out the next morning was at 10am. The kitchen closed for breakfast at 9am. This meant getting up at what seemed like the crack of dawn to eat breakfast. This is clearly because they need 7 hours between check-out and check-in to make the room suitably horrible. Exhibit D: breakfast was edible at best. My bacon sandwich was two pieces of limp, fatty pig, lovingly slapped between two slices of 'value', thin slice bread. Exhibit E: we swung by the bar after our early check-out for a cheeky lime and soda. Four of these bad boys set us back an extortionate £12.60. Yep, that's £3.15 each for carbonated water, ice and a splash of cordial. Nice margin there, guys! The worst thing about this was that we'd paid £1 the evening before for the same budget beverage. Not. Cool.

• Stayed August 2013
3 Thank jaunty19

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Kilkenny, Ireland
Reviewed 13 August 2013

I read the reviews on this Hotel after I and my wife and 13yr old son stayed there and I have to say that some of the earlier reviews may or may not have been fair. The issues raised in previous reviews, from our experience were definitely taken on board and resolved.
When we arrived we were met with friendly staff.
Our room was basic, ( bare in mind it's not a five star hotel, and does not claim to be) clean, our TV worked fine. The beds were very comfortable. The towels in the bathroom were I have to say; thick and luxurious. We stayed there three nights.
On the second morning we were an hour late for breakfast and I asked if there was any possibility of breakfast. After explaining that they had waited an hour for us (which was reasonable) the gentleman asked what we wanted and I asked for scrambled egg on toast for two, and bacon egg and sausage for one. NO Problem. We actually got scrambled egg on toast WITH BACON for two, plus bacon, egg and sausage and more toast and tea if we wanted.
I honestly cannot complain about anything and we have stayed in 4 and 5 star hotels in Ireland, the UK, in the Canaries and Europe. It's not a 4 or 5 star Hotel but what is offers is delivered.
We can recommend The Royal Oak in Hawkhurst without hesitation.
All we can say is that whatever the previous reviewers comments were, and we only read them after we stayed there, they were not our experience.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Tony C
London
Reviewed 5 August 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for one night in August. Some friends were having a camping weekend up the road and as I'd been having some back issues this last week I decided to find a B&B. everything in the region is expensive and heavily booked so we went for this from 'Late Rooms'.
Arrived; welcome was fine - shown to the room and when we went in the main light wasn't working, a new bulb later it was sorted. TV wasn't working and had no remote; we weren't planning on watching TV so no real issue, shower is very poor; a cheap combo tap type that was so low on the wall you couldn't stand under it.

The shower/ bath only half tiled but that's their lookout.

Anyhow, the piece de resistance; the awful mattress. Wed got changed and gone out without really sitting on the bed, getting back into the hotel about 1am. Got on the bed and it pretty much collapsed on my side. Turned out to be a soft foam replacement mattress with separate springs in it, and to top it off it was really short.

Worst nights sleep ever, felt on edge as though I was going to fall out of the bed all night.

After we had breakfast I asked for the manager and a guy came over that had been serving breakfasts and appeared to be fully un charge. He didn't seem to want to admit he was but took great offence when I told him I'd only had about 2 hours sleep and that the mattress in room 7 was awful, saying he had bought it himself and had spent (I paraphrase approx) £450 (oooh) on it and that effectively I was wrong. We had a fairly heated argument and when I asked how I could get my £80 refunded he told me I'd have to return after 12 to speak to the manager (which obviously we weren't about to do as we were leaving the area). Summary; Disappointing, rude and cheap - they're cutting corners and ripping people off in an area where they know they'll get passing trade. I wouldn't pay £20 to stay here. Avoid, avoid, avoid.

• Stayed August 2013
3 Thank Captsash

Travellers are raving about these Hawkhurst hotels

Plymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 April 2013

The radiator was on full pelt and the room was like a sauna. No heat control - it was either on or off - so freeze or fry. I had one bedside light but no bulb. My friends in the room to my left had two bedside lamps so gave me a bulb from one of their lamps which didn't have a plug on it. Light above the bathroom mirror didn't work. I was kept awake until 5.30am by people talking in the room to my right. I believe it could have been the staff as they had the same accents. A member of staff blamed it on wedding party guests. We were told breakfast was from 8.30-9.00am only as they needed to clear the tables because of lunch bookings. Breakfast was good other than full cooked breakfast arrived without any say in what you wanted/didn't want - no good for vegetarians. Paid single room rate £59.95 for the pleasure.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 13 March 2013

We stayed here following a birthday dinner in their private function room. The food was very good as was the service, the staff were very pleasant and eager to please. We had a room at the back which was very quiet and had a very good night's sleep. The room was rather jaded and needs updating and the bathroom needs an upgrade but the room, sheets, towels etc. were clean and the bed very comfortable. Breakfast was good and just what we needed after a heavy night. In general a very pleasant stay.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 January 2013

A horrendous, sleepless night listening to an air trapped heating system shake the accommodation end of the hotel. The night manager was repeatedly called (on my mobile) to try and deal with the situation, every time she just held her hands up stating there was nothing she could do to fix it.
When I fed-back my experience I was informed, and I quote directly from an email sent by the manager: 'We do not sell sleep in this establishment, we sell accommodation' - breathtaking hospitality.
Aside from not getting one ounce of sleep, the rooms are basic, towels were old, paint on the walls was slap-dash. We had a packed breakfast as had to leave before service started; a cheese and jam sandwich which was binned first thing. So if you think, like me that when booking a hotel, sleep is a prerequisite you'd be best looking for somewhere else. I travel domestically and internationally on a frequent basis, and this is my worst hotel experience to date.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
4 Thank Primrose2013
Burton upon Trent, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 September 2012

Stayed at the Royal Oak this week and it was excellent. The staff could not have been more helpful. The food was wonderful and the mains were delivered to the table by the chef!! The room was very comfortable and extremely clean. Excellent place to stay, very friendly and welcoming.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hawkhurst
Star & Eagle Hotel
Flackley Ash Hotel and Restaurant
The Queen's Inn
The Queen's Inn
#1 of 7 in Hawkhurst

Been to The Royal Oak? Share your experiences!