“Hidden Gem”

The Red Lion
Ranked #1 of 1 Restaurants in Stodmarsh
Cuisines: British, Gastropub
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Situated a few miles from Canterbury City centre in the small village of Stodmarsh is The Red Lion. Stodmarsh is one of the very few villages in Britain with a working farm nestled among the 28 houses which are in the village and the internationally famous nature reserve is just round the corner. Our country eating and drinking house offers a traditional and seasonal menu, a good selection of wines and real ales straight from the barrel. We have open fires in the winter and floral gardens in the summer.
Reviewed 21 March 2011

I and my wife had business in the local area and needed lunch. I remembered the Red Lion from a visit to the Stodmarsh Bird Sanctuary with my father (some 25 years ago) and we went to find out. We were quite delighted with our welcome, the drinks provided and the quality of the food was very good indeed. There are no "Gastropub" airs and graces on offer - just a matching quality, friendly and welcoming environment and all in all, a very pleasant experience. We will be back next time we are near.

Reviewed 13 January 2011

Perfuntory table service, patronising & rude owner and, most importantly, the food was mediochre and that's being kind. The lettuce was undressed and soggy wet, the mains were lukewarm and served with inappropriate and over cooked vedgetables.
This place has the pretentions of being a boutique style gastro pub but it's lost it big time - it's actually rubbish. And they have the gall to give you the impression that they are doing you a favour by serving you.
The decor is fun though it looks as if it could do with a damn good clean.

3  Thank Internationalnosher
Reviewed 4 August 2010

Big disappointment given the recommendations. One should not confuse eccentricity for talent.

3  Thank allyn53
Reviewed 18 July 2010

We stopped for a meal here after a gap of a year or two and found it to be far below its previous standard. The food was poorly prepared and the landlord aggressive towards any criticism.

2  Thank cs499
Reviewed 26 August 2007

I did not stay at this public house but I had a mightily disappointing Sunday lunch. OK it was a bank holiday weekend but the main menu selection was a staggering choice of two. As a vegetarian I asked what the options were and the staff clearly do not understand the concept as I was offered shell fish gumbo as my option. The only other option was roast beef so in the end I opted for the roast potatoes and vegetables. The waitress on hearing this then went to the kitchen to ask the chef if there were any other options and I was offered pasta carbonara (again meat). Anyway, my partner took the roast beef option and it was clearly not from a roast but a slice of beef that had been pan fried. The roast potatoes were not cooked and the puddings were warm. Such a shame since I had heard such good reports.

1  Thank Sarah001Westbere