“You have to go to realise what a great pub this is!”
Review of The Red Lion

The Red Lion
Ranked #1 of 1 Restaurants in Stodmarsh
Cuisines: British, Gastropub
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Situated a few miles from Canterbury City centre in the small village of Stodmarsh is The Red Lion. Stodmarsh is one of the very few villages in Britain with a working farm nestled among the 28 houses which are in the village and the internationally famous nature reserve is just round the corner. Our country eating and drinking house offers a traditional and seasonal menu, a good selection of wines and real ales straight from the barrel. We have open fires in the winter and floral gardens in the summer.
Reviewed 13 June 2011

This is a hard one to find but worth it when you get there. The pub and the garden absolutely ooze character as does the landlord. I had fresh local asparagus followed by Dexter rib eye steak. There was a large portion of tender sweet asparagus with lashings of butter on it, the steak was well matured, cooked to perfection and full of flavour. Service was fast (but not rushed) and the staff friendly. Be warned, do not try and work out the landlord, just accept him as part of the overall experience and enjoy! We went on a Saturday night and it was packed and we had to wait a long time for a table, so you might like to book, however it gave us time to enjoy his good beer!

Reviewed 18 April 2011

I have lived in Canterbury for 15 years and very much enjoy the independant Freehouses that offer good service and food. When we happended across this pub one sunny afternoon with my mum and two children I felt sure that we had found a gem. Instead we left feeling (at best) bemused by the Landlord's rude service (some might excuse it as eccentricity) and ripped off. After I had ordered the food and drinks I went to join the rest of the family outside in the garden. I gave the children 10 pounds to purchase 2 packets of crisps while we awaited the food - the children returned 3 pounds short in change. I spoke to the Landlord about this immediately - it was abundantly clear that he knew the children were 3 pounds short in change. Regarding the food, both mine and my mothers starters (8 pounds each) were very nice but small for the price. The children struggled to find anything on the menu for them - they chose the sandwiches - which at £7 pounds each were not great value for money. In summary, lovely location, mediocre food, let down by the rude landlord who was prepared to have a try at ripping off two polite young children.

3  Thank MLB26
Reviewed 21 March 2011

I and my wife had business in the local area and needed lunch. I remembered the Red Lion from a visit to the Stodmarsh Bird Sanctuary with my father (some 25 years ago) and we went to find out. We were quite delighted with our welcome, the drinks provided and the quality of the food was very good indeed. There are no "Gastropub" airs and graces on offer - just a matching quality, friendly and welcoming environment and all in all, a very pleasant experience. We will be back next time we are near.

Reviewed 13 January 2011

Perfuntory table service, patronising & rude owner and, most importantly, the food was mediochre and that's being kind. The lettuce was undressed and soggy wet, the mains were lukewarm and served with inappropriate and over cooked vedgetables.
This place has the pretentions of being a boutique style gastro pub but it's lost it big time - it's actually rubbish. And they have the gall to give you the impression that they are doing you a favour by serving you.
The decor is fun though it looks as if it could do with a damn good clean.

3  Thank Internationalnosher
Reviewed 4 August 2010

Big disappointment given the recommendations. One should not confuse eccentricity for talent.

3  Thank allyn53